when is the best time to buy?

Considering where we are in the current property cycle,When is the best time to buy?

• now

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • in one years time

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • in two years time

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • three or more years time

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by brains
Suggo,

The problem with your approach is that it needs to change for chages in the property market. You cant have an inflexible rule for all situations becaus the situations are always different.

As for Warwick, have you asked why you can still ge houses for $88k at the tail end of a property boom and have you considered what the future cap. growth will be like? Pretty average if you ask me.

The 'ripple' of the boom has only really just reached Warwick(or had when we signed the contract), not everywhere booms at once you know Brains! :) It took Brissy awhile to kick off while Sydney and Melbourne were already well into the boom.
Yes the CG probably won't be fantastic (not that we did ask you!!:p :D )although we could probably sell it straight away for $110-120k according to the real estate agent(you can't get a house in town for under $100k now), so there's a few years CG we don't really have to worry about. The rental return is about 8.2% and we are pretty happy with that. It is a case where we were happy to take a better yeild over CG. Also with the number of properties we have that are high CG this one helped improve our cashflow abit and that was one of the things we wanted out of this property.

Hi All

I voted for 3 or more years, but if the right opurtunity appeared tomorrow I would act (but its unlikely to come a knocking :mad: )

Brains - I think its more like 1 - 2 but I guess only time will tell :p

Generally

As far as renovating in a flat market. I have found that its more that you add value to your rental return rather than adding real equity. Remember the market is flat so by definition there are few buyers this then leads to modest valuations as the comparibles aren't happening.

Back to reno's, it really depends on the money you spend (or the least money spent) for the maximum impact and also the market you are operating in, inner city in comparison to outer suburb, with a higher probability of adding equity in the inner subs.

In regard to peoples experience, most of the folk commenting on renos and the money to be made only appear to have been operating in this current cycle. I will look forward to their comments a number of years down the line when we hit the flat market.

Personnally I have found that the best capital gain in a flat market is where there is an intrinsic advantage/ value in the property and you are able to pick it up at a 'normal' market price. This I have found to be easier in a flat market than in a hyped market as market forces price the intrinsic way up above the realisable value.

Cheers

WOW a lot of passion her but lets face it, we are asking the holy grail "Should we buy now or later"

Having read the posts I realie that:

each market is different and very select for instance in Sydney eastern suburbs only makeovers are worth doing as prices so high people cannot afford a new roof, room, kitchen anyhow so LB is right you dont get your money back. Also owner occupiers like dumps sop they can put thier personal touch often unaware of the skills.cost and stress involved. LB right again.

In Qld it seems you may or do however buying at $88k or $150k is very different ot $450k. A new kitchen probably get an additional $20 a week and therefore may pay for itself subject to rates.

Personally I am cashed up waiting for drop in 2004/2005 so many have bought with no idea and so much oversupply in Sydney that if rates go up to 7.5 ot 8% their will be "blood in the streets" from hemaraging property investors who bought on CG dreams and tax benefits.

Regards

Peter 147

So are you saying that if the ripple effect has just reached Warwick then it will be having big growth in the next year while the rest of the country has stopped or will be going backwards in price over the same time period? Somehow i dont think so.

Originally posted by suggo
The 'ripple' of the boom has only really just reached Warwick(or had when we signed the contract), not everywhere booms at once you know Brains! :) It took Brissy awhile to kick off while Sydney and Melbourne were already well into the boom.
Yes the CG probably won't be fantastic (not that we did ask you!!:p :D )although we could probably sell it straight away for $110-120k according to the real estate agent(you can't get a house in town for under $100k now), so there's a few years CG we don't really have to worry about. The rental return is about 8.2% and we are pretty happy with that. It is a case where we were happy to take a better yeild over CG. Also with the number of properties we have that are high CG this one helped improve our cashflow abit and that was one of the things we wanted out of this property.

I have generally refrained from commenting on these things, but I thought I might suggest my point of view.

I have money to spend right now.

If I was looking to increase my holdings in Adelaide, there would be several areas I would be buying in (houses in inner suburbs or CBD) - there are markets within markets, and I can see opportunities in some of these areas. They are expensive now and not exactly bargains, but over the long term I know they will do very well, and I know I can add value to them. What's more, because I know the market really well, I can make judgements about what the market there will do and what will and wont work.

I was also looking to buy a house in Brisbane as a potential future PPOR in case we ever decided to move there. The property would be bought in an area we liked, not in an area we thought was great value. However, the fundamentals still need to be there since the property would be an investment and may never actually be a PPOR. My selection criteria would work slightly differently when choosing this property than a pure IP - and I would be strictly looking at long term potential - it would be a long term buy and hold property. However, we have changed our minds about this approach in the short term, since our current medium term plans see us staying in Sydney.

Our current plan is to buy a PPOR in Sydney. There are a couple of areas we are looking at, and we are working on a strategy to be able to afford the property that we want. We are prepared to wait several years before we do purchase, and any other investments we make in the short term need to be carefully considered to determine whether they will harm or enhance our goal. Currently I am aiming for a purchase late in 2005 or perhaps 2006. I expect by then that the market in the area of Sydney I am looking at will be just about to kick off again by then after a couple of quieter years (I don't expect house prices to drop except in isolated cases in this area, but I don't expect any significant growth either). We will be using that time to build our funds to the point where we are comfortable taking on a purchase of this magnitude.

Our strategy is based around something we want for ourselves, it is not based around trying to guess future growth patterns - we are simply looking to buy a house that is quite livable, but with potential for adding value as well, and that we think will see good long term growth, in an area we want to live in.

So I am currently out of the property market. I don't have time to look for quick money deals - I don't have the money to gamble on short term speculative growth properties. I do have plans for my money over the short term, but I'm not going to go into details on that.

In summary - if my current goals were different, I would still be buying now in certain select markets, for certain select purposes. My short term goals at the moment dictate that purchases now would be counter-productive, so I am planning to wait for a couple of years before I do buy.

My point is that the question is a meaningless one to ask on its own without context. The answer to "when is the best time to buy" can only be answered by "it depends on what your goals are and where it is you are trying to buy".

My vote is "now" but probably for totally different reasons than most others.

Ten years ago I read Jan's book and we agreed that this was the way to go.
Looked around, "nearly" bought a place but backed out at the last minute!
Got caught up in work, kids etc. and found ourselves still in the same place ten years later. Missed it all!

We are about to settle on our first IP at the end of the month.

That first step needed to be taken or we might be still in the same spot in the next ten years so for us it was "Just DO IT"

Di

Originally posted by brains
So are you saying that if the ripple effect has just reached Warwick then it will be having big growth in the next year while the rest of the country has stopped or will be going backwards in price over the same time period? Somehow i dont think so.

Thats not really what I said, and I didn't mean to imply that either. When we signed the contract (2 months ago) Warwick had started to go up at a pretty rapid rate for Warwick.

Remember this is a country town where a ripple comes and pushes up prices, and the further away from the centre the smaller the ripple. Prices are still rising there now but I don't expect it to continue into next year. As I stated in the other post we don't expect great CG, but the yeild is alright and with the industry in the town and the economy looking pretty good for the future, I expect the rents will go nowhere but up. If in a few years we still only owe $88000 on it and the rent is $200 I won't be complaining, would you? Somehow I don't think so. :D

We are about to settle on our first IP at the end of the month. DI

Hi Di

Good on you!! Despite all market this and that, provided you can afford it ( i.e. allow for rate rises or lock rates)I do believe the only real way to learn is to do.

Most of the poster here appear to have been doers and that is why this is such a great site for comments. I love and work in property but I only listen to those who speak from experince not books or opinion.

Where is the IP? I and other would be interested to know the details and maybee someone can give you some good advice?

I will start with two of my golden rules

"Always use a good agent"
"Always have landlords insurance"

Good luck Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the encouragement, the reason I love this forum too is because no-one is here to sell anything (well, not all)
just offering advice from experience and I'm sure without the advice I've received along the way I probably would be still talking about it.
This forum is proof that it can be done, and though I may make plenty of mistakes along the way I'm sure they will be a lot less because of the support & info available here.

Our IP is in Kanimbla, Cairns.

oops......, sent the message before I was finished. To continue....

It has 4bdrms, ens., bv, 11 yrs old with a pool. $285k -should rent for $320-$340 pw after we add air con & dishwasher. Building report showed both bathrooms were'nt sealed properly when built. Have arranged a rebate for $4600k off priceand we will look at fixing that later when we can claim repairs, meanwhile it has been temporarily sealed. Apparently there were a lot of homes built around the same time with this problem most do a temporary fix every few years.

The agent who managed the property before will continue managing for us and so far I have had a couple of good comments about him from the building inspector & pest guy. Time will tell.
He only manages these types of properties and finds that they rent well in Cairns due to the transient population, a lot of them being management transferred in with large companies.I met him when I inspected the property and he showed me around other properties that he managed in the area, seemed pretty good.

Landlord insurance: We have gone with Terri Scheer (again recommended from some forumites) "Landlords preferred policy"
I hope that's the one we need.

Hopefully it won't be long before I can help out with advice too!

Di

Thats an interesting poll. Its very close to one year since the poll was first posted and i would say that its generally a much better time to buy now then one year ago as there has been a fall in most Australian markets.

likewow said:
Thats an interesting poll. Its very close to one year since the poll was first posted and i would say that its generally a much better time to buy now then one year ago as there has been a fall in most Australian markets.
Two years ago! :D

The correct answer is OBVIOUSLY 10 years ago!

By now then you would have at least doubled and more than likely tripled your value. :p

The rational answer is to buy whenever you can . . . subject to due diligence indicating that the criteria for purchasing are in order.

At this point in time the big question is: Is the price right?
Seach "Rental Reality" for the answer. :)

Good luck,

Steve

Aint hindsight great. :) Anytime might be the best time to buy, but as canny investors know: there are good anytimes and there are better anytimes.

And as all successful investors know (and a certain Mr Buffett says), sometimes its better not to buy.

Back