When Was/Is the Right Time to Buy in Sydney?

Is it a Good Time to Buy in Sydney?

• Yeah - It's a good time to buy in Sydney

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • YES!! - It's the best time to buy in Sydney

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Nah - It's a bad time to buy in Sydney

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • NO!! - It's the worst time to buy in Sydney

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters
Now that property is heating up in Sydney, would now be a good time to buy? Or are we too close to peaking in the cycle that it would be a bad time?

Sydney is not one market...it is many markets.

If you are looking out West...might have missed the boat. If you are looking at high end now would be a good time.

The Central Coast and Wollongong will follow shortly....

Now that property is heating up in Sydney, would now be a good time to buy? Or are we too close to peaking in the cycle that it would be a bad time?

In Sydney we are no-where near "peaking" IMO. We are only 7-8 months into what could be a minimum 2+ year growth spurt (again just my personal opinion).

You know you are in an overblown RE boom when Mum & Dad "investors" buy an overpriced property one week-end and resell for $50-100K more the following week-end. We have a way to go, to get to that yet. :p Although granted, 80% auction clearance rates, which we are starting to have, is also a pre-cursor.

I'm glad you guys have mentioned Wollongong. I've been seriously considering buying an OTP 2 bed unit there.

Any thoughts on unit vs. house in the gong as an investment?

Questions for the OP: why haven't you bought in Sydney up until now? Because you thought it was dead? Or because you thought it was expensive? What's changed?

Questions for the OP: why haven't you bought in Sydney up until now? Because you thought it was dead? Or because you thought it was expensive? What's changed?

I hadn't bought yet as I'm a FHB and was still saving for finance. If I had it my way I would've bought 12 months ago when grants were still in place for existing dwellings and no stamps for FHB's.

Now, when I've finally finished saving, got finance sorted and I'm ready to go, grants are gone (unless I want to buy new), I have to pay stamp duty, and prices have shot up.

That's pretty much why...

where can i find a graph showing the australian cities' current property cycle? i saw one somewhere and it shows sydney in the middle of the cycle

Last edited:
Sydney has a bit more to run in all suburbs, imo. We'll see $700k median prices soon. Possible to hit $750k by mid next year.

As sash say (rarely agree with him), high end has very good value even now. The big boys are still very cautious and the sellers are still on earth. $2m+ certainly possible to find value. $3m+ fair bit of value.

Below $2m it's a bit harder as lots of families can afford the $300k-$2m price range.

where can i find a graph showing the australian cities' current property cycle? i saw one somewhere and it shows sydney in the middle of the cycle

http://www.htw.com.au/Downloads/Files/248-Month-In-Review-July-2013.pdf

HTW Graphs are at the bottom. I'd suggest taking with a pinch of salt and not to generalise too much as whilst a rough guide from a macro perspective, on the ground you will find its a different story depending on the price bracket/precise location(s).

All the best

HTW has Sydney houses at start of recovery and units as rising market.

Probably reflects that cheaper properties tend to start rising early in the cycle.

Cliff

Back