When will you stop?

But Anh - your 2 are a bit different, aren't they??!

Hi Chindonly,

Maybe i did not answer your question properly in the other post.

I will count my PPOR as rental once we travel and 1 rental with good rental income ( being new and in a good location which i bought under market value) with no debt.

Maybe it is financially smarter to have more properties and debt, but i just feel more comfortable not having debt, than having bigger assets. Not the best way accumulate wealth i know. Again, i feel that i have 'enough'.

More Please !

oliver-twist-007.jpg

Maybe with some more cashflow :D

Two of my properties are cf - (out of 3). So, I'll keep going so I can pay down debt later on. 3 Paid off properties (and paid of PPOR) should give us enough retirement income :D

I had 6, then realised that even if I borrowed more to buy another 6 and eventually paid down the loans with savings or by selling off a few, it still wouldn't give me the kind of hassle-free and predictable passive income I require in the long-term.

So to me I already had enough property and perhaps too much, so I sold 2 (an under-performing one and a well-performing but high maintenance one), kept my PPOR and the 3 best IPs, and reduced my PPOR loan with the proceeds.

The 3 remaining IPs serve a dual purpose, as well as for long-term capital growth, any one of them can be used for lifestyle purposes eg. 1 to downsize into later in life, 1 to help fund an early inheritance for future kids, and 1 to sell and help eliminate my PPOR loan.

I aim to keep these at <80% LVR and neutral to positively geared.

Now I put 100% of all my future investments into dividend-paying shares, in my family trust and SMSF, with some initial borrowed funds from property LOCs and a small margin loan.

I also stopped working full-time and started working part-time in the hours that suited me - seeing as I wasn't going to buy any more property or re-gear my existing ones endlessly, I no longer needed to seek bank finance and show a high income for this purpose.

If I did want to use some borrowings I could always cautiously use my margin loan where I had negotiated down the interest rate to below 6%, almost like residential rates, and with no loan applications or bank servicing requirements needed to do this.

I also decided that if I could always aim to have some form of enjoyable part-time occupation/business I can do during my days then my passive income requirements would be less and I would be less dependent on investment income to fund a retirement.

Adding the above to leading a simple lifestyle which doesn't require a lot of consumption helped me gain better control of my time and focus more on what matters to me.

That's an interesting approach regarding shares - but I assume it's only viable if you have paid down the PPOR debt already? Else, I would think offset would be better?
It would be interesting to calculate the return required from shares or other investment to match the result of leaving funds in the offset. Perhaps in this low interest rate environment it's possible?
If anyone has done the math, interested to know :)

That's an interesting approach regarding shares - but I assume it's only viable if you have paid down the PPOR debt already? Else, I would think offset would be better?

I think it depends...

Reducing non-deductible PPOR debt via putting money in an offset account is generally said to be better, but I think there are a couple of situations where this may not necessarily be the case.

One is if you compare this to investing with the benefit of leverage, such that the use of leverage outweighs the benefits of having money in an offset account.

And two is if you compare this to making tax-deductible/concessional contributions into super/SMSF, such that the tax advantages of doing this outweighs the benefits of having money in an offset account.

A third factor to consider is whether it is more effective for you to pay off your PPOR debt with your after-tax salary which may be taxed at the highest marginal tax rate, as opposed to realised capital gains (eg. from the sale of a residential property) which has the benefit of the 50% CGT discount.

In my case the leveraged share portfolio funds itself, then I put money into super via concessional contributions (depending on your structure/situation it maybe possible to do this tax-effectively with leverage) and all cash savings go into my offset account (like it would have anyway).

Eventually realised capital gains on a residential property sale will help wipe out my PPOR debt in a tax-effective manner.

In my strategy I don't preclude upgrading my PPOR - I think being a tax-free asset it doesn't hurt to have an overall portfolio that is somewhat tilted towards the value of your PPOR, particularly if your are open to downsizing later in life to unlock the tax-free capital gains on your PPOR.

Last edited:
My goals have not changed much over the years. 5 mil net worth. 100k passive income p.a. indexed to inflation. To stop work once these figures are achieved.

Whatever it takes to achieve this is how many properties plus other investments I require. Currently, I have one commercial property and one resi property (PPOR). No debt on anything.

My goals have not changed much over the years. 5 mil net worth. 100k passive income p.a. indexed to inflation. To stop work once these figures are achieved.

Whatever it takes to achieve this is how many properties plus other investments I require. Currently, I have one commercial property and one resi property (PPOR). No debt on anything.

Keep saving buddy :)

I may be overly ambitious (especially considering I'm only just starting this journey) but I want to earn as much as possible. Once I become financially free, I will then do the same for those closest to me. After those closest to me, I plan on starting a charity for those I feel I can help in a big way.

The more money I earn means the more people I can help.

In the words of my mentor...

"Why not do it now?".

It's the whole Have => Do => Be vs Be => Do => Have.
People are starting charities all the time, totally different skill set, you have to learn to both empower and inspire others to the cause.

I wont be stopping anytime soon as its now about teaching my children what I am doing. Now I get the pleasure of using my equity/skills to help them, hang on .... it wont be a free ride, they still have to put in the hard yards.:)

when one of the following occur...

A: It stops being fun.
B: The numbers stop adding up.
C: I lose my capacity to keep going (physically/mentally)

We have enough if they were all paid off . When we sell PPOR that will clear some debt .

Main reason to buy more will be with the aim to sell them later in current cycle to clear debt earlier or to give us mor money to spend .

Cliff

I have enough .. just PPOR
my passive income comes from other asset

just looking for the odd holiday house down the sea side some where but not really for investment ...housing to me is life style funded by income from other asset.

Nothing beats living debt free and stress free I can tell you ... I been on both sides and decided to switch side and never go back :)

I have enough .. just PPOR
my passive income comes from other asset

just looking for the odd holiday house down the sea side some where but not really for investment ...housing to me is life style funded by income from other asset.

Nothing beats living debt free and stress free I can tell you ... I been on both sides and decided to switch side and never go back :)

Do you mind sharing what other assets you have working for you? I am guessing some stocks with good dividends perhaps?

When will I stop?

I already have 'stopped ' with the proviso that if the market tumbles significantly I would use the equity to pick up a villa in a quality area of Sydney if a bargain turns up. Currently have PPOR (Villa), one investment property close by (Villa), a 2 BR unit overseas and a small lifestyle property on the mid north coast of NSW (very small property).

Owing about $350,000 against Sydney rental property (rest is fully owned).

My plan is to;

- reduce property investment loan gradually
- more funds into our super (invested 50% Australian Shares & 50% International)
- using margin loan to purchase more Australian shares (cornerstone shares AFI & MIR)

Pretty conservative approach overall but there is lots of equity to pick up property if market throws up a bargain, if not, pretty happy to cruise.

Best to all

Back