Where did you purchase your first property?

First Property

Price purchased for: $252,500
Year purchased: 2005. 1970's 3 level walk up unit. (Ground floor (above car spaces/garages.))

Do you still own the property?

No I don't, I sold it for $365,000 in Jan 2011 after a plumbing incident spewed crap all over the carpet. My poor tenants..... Also I was never happy with the width of the living space. Only about 3.2metres wide, felt too narrow when you have the tv at the opposite side. And the car space was open (i.e.. couldn't store anything in it and people could walk though it) and the car space was too narrow - accidentally scratched a lot of paint off the side of my new car. People with garages also have very limited space in their garages. Not enough space for passengers to enter. And occasionally I'd get parked in by people illegally parking cars....
Also... Here's a tip. Never try selling at Christmas, because there aren't many buyers then...

Why did you buy that property?

I went and saw two properties that day, this unit in West Ryde and a townhouse in Telopea. The agent for this property started calling me back and with a little toing and froing, before I knew it, I had made a offer the seller was happy with. In hindsight I needed to do much more research but this was the days before realestate.com.au and domain.com.au

Did you renovate?

Yes, replaced the kitchen, only a few months before sale.

Why did you want to buy?

I basically had been working at Amex for just over 2 years at the time of purchase and so had a steady income and a deposit, so I was ready to buy.

First Property

Price purchased for: $52,500
Year purchased: 1989

No I don't, I sold it for $86,000 in 1991 to buy another home when I was moved to Brisbane.

It was cheap and a big old Queenslander. I earned about $30,000 pa and borrowed a $2,000 deposit from my mum. I was 24 and had no savings but read Noel Whittakers new book and decided to buy a house.

Did you renovate?

painted inside and out, polished the floorboards and installed a very basic kitchen. I saw a recent sold as from two years ago and note that none of those things have been done since and it was looking terribly run down. It sold for about $245,000 I think but with a basic tart up it would have done much better. I am not sure what today's market is like in Toowoomba.

Why did you want to buy?

As mentioned above. I was posted to Toowoomba with the Army and it was a pretty boring place. So grabbing my own house to fix up seemed a good idea at the time.

I was moved to Brisbane and the army paid my selling costs and buying costs to change my home and I did make over 60% growth in the two years I had it. I thought I was pretty clever. But looking back I should have kept it and sucked up the costs of buying a new place. I think my biggest regret in my property time was selling each home to upgrade it. Looking back I could have kept some and I'd be so much better off.

First Property

Purchased - 1986

Location - Osborne Park, WA

1 bedroom unit in a complex of 18

Purchase Price - $18,000

Sold 1989 - $24,000

Completely renovated the unit

Sold it 3 years later and went onto purchase another property/house

First Property

Price purchased for: $181,000
Year purchased: 2005

No, sold for $285,000 in 2011 to purchase another property

good location, well priced (slightly under market), close to beach, city, shops, public transport, CBD, etc.

Did you renovate?

no, the plan was to use it as PPOR then move out and keep it as it would've been positively geared.

Why did you want to buy?

Perth market was rallying, wanted to get my foot in the door but also wanted a property that could be quickly positively geared. I had very low LVR on it from memory.

Price purchased for: $79,000
Year purchased: 1989 (17% Interest Rate however it was a small glitch)

Do you still own the property

no

As a PPR for my new family/kid (s)

Did you renovate?

No as it was a perfect spec and condition

Why did you want to buy?

I had a deep desire to have a family home as we had been travelling extensively before then. I wish I had been interested in being an amateur property developer then. I would have never ended my mortgage but developed the facility forever. A line of credit would have promoted our family wealth much better.

First Property

Purchased - 2006 / 2007

Location - Keysborough, Victoria

3 + 2 + 1

Purchase Price - $305,000

Sold 2009 - $395,000

I've added a security to the front if that is considered renos

Had to buy it because I was not too welcomed at the place that I temporarily stayed at that time, (ex sister's place)

First Property

Price purchased for: $434 000
Year purchased: 2013

Yes, PPOR.

700m2, <20km from the city (14km straight line). Biggest one was it is part of a proposed rezoning for a neighbouring suburb (Girrawheen) due to proximity to high school, but typically demands higher prices. All the pluses of rezoning, but also a slightly nicer suburb for a PPOR. Surrounding suburbs such as Landsdale, Darch, Greenwood, Hamersley demand much larger prices (20% +) so hope one day it plays catch up.

Did you renovate?

New carpets, new blinds, repainted entire house, new front door, new shelving in robes, sliding mirrored/vinyl robe doors, built a pizza oven. Just recently did the bathroom from scratch.
Front landscaping being done at the end of summer.

Why did you want to buy?

Wanted my own house as well something that was a decent investment. Figured a block I could one day subdivide and a house I could renovate made sense since I work in the building game.

First Property

Price purchased for: $260k
Year purchased: 2009

yes

2 min walk from station, good price, just needed some cosmetic reno

Did you renovate?

there was drawings on wall, carpet was feral, and somehow, there was lipstick on the ceiling.

Why did you want to buy?

at the time went into business which didnt go too well. Wanted to get back on track with property investment and came across www.somersoft.com.au

l bought my first one in Heathcote Vic. at 26 . It was 40ac's and the plan was to retire on it at 35 and just paint. The idea was that it'd be paid of and l'd have a bit of a stash . So l might've had to do a little bit of work here and there but mostly l could just paint and breed horses.
But then l got married , :rolleyes:

First Property

Price purchased for: $439,000
Year purchased: 2012

Yep.

It was a hidden gem as it was a duplex pair on one title that didn't appear to be subdivisable on face value, but could be done on much closer inspection of the local planning policies. It was also potentially a cheap pickup because it was a complete bomb inside and a public housing auction (which wasn't popular at that point in time in Perth).

Did you renovate?

Complete internal overhaul - plumbling, electrics, you name it. Of both duplexes too - cost around $45k all up at the end, and took something like 6 months start to finish - although I took my time with the second duplex.

Why did you want to buy?

I had saved a decent deposit over a number of years, and only figured out about property investment maybe 8 months prior. But then it was 8 months of full research mode, so was sure I was getting a good deal. It was actually meant to be a one-off thing (buying a property), but then it became addictive!

Back