where do i go to find out what i can do with a block of land

Hi All,

I have found a old property on a 700m2 block and was wondering what could be done on it.

who would i go to, to find this out? and how much would it cost me?

i went to the council they said it will be on the title. i don't understand what i'm looking for on the title though. (as you can tell i've never done this before)

does a town planner / draftsman charge for looking at a title?

You should be able to ask the applicable Council what the zoning of the block is and then look up the allowable uses for that zone. Most information is online today.

i went to the council they said it will be on the title. i don't understand what i'm looking for on the title though. (as you can tell i've never done this before)

You can get a draftsman to look at it if your intention is to get plans done for town houses. They would do it in the hope that they get the job...

The two council areas I'm looking at have all the info on their websites. It's a bit of reading & a bit of a mind bender to get used to the jargon etc but I'm taking it as a learning experience. I also prefer to have some idea of what the options are, particularly where you may want to push the boundaries etc so you know the questions to ask.

You'll get the odd council numpty who isn't very helpful, so I always recommend calling a council at another time if you don't get much advice from the town planner - they may have another one on staff which is willing to help. I've had some which give the bare minimum info, and alternatively have had some go above and beyond in looking at ways a site can be developed to it's best potential.

Like they say, you get what you pay for!

If you've never done it before you should really consult a professional or someone who has experience. This could be a Town Planner, Architect, Draftsman, builder, developer. Small cost for such a major investment decision. It could save you tens of thousands of $.

Someone here may be able to recommend a reputable and trustworthy consultant with experience in your council area.

Hi tj22, we would be happy to help you out. Initially just to chat about the possibilities won't cost you anything. Is the block in Vic? We are located in Victoria and have a good handle on what you can and can't do in many areas of Vic.

serendip,

You have a great attitude and I don't see that nearly enough. By the time I was ready to build my first project I knew the applicable Council's Planning Scheme completely and that knowledge came in extremely handy during the building process and continues to today.

As you know, you can pay someone a fee and receive a DA in return but learning the Scheme or Code is free and will reap ongoing rewards, well beyond the cost saving of a DA.

Good for you.

You'll get the odd council numpty who isn't very helpful, so I always recommend calling a council at another time if you don't get much advice from the town planner - they may have another one on staff which is willing to help. I've had some which give the bare minimum info, and alternatively have had some go above and beyond in looking at ways a site can be developed to it's best potential.

Like they say, you get what you pay for!

This is very good advice here. have had a few personal experiences calling up council one day and getting a short non informative answer from one planner and then the next day i spend 30 minutes talking to someone giving me all sorts of advice about development potential and useful stuff to do with the local area. its important to make sure your speaking with the right person.

Back