Where is the growth now?

With the Property Markets on the rise across the board in Australia, from every major city to town to even rural properties, I feel there is a good deal to be had in Mining towns right now. Like Dysart, Moranbah, amongst others. They are at the Lows of 2007-08. I can't believe the madness that went in there in 2010- 2012. 70-80% above current market prices.

Commodities prices will rise. And so will the markets.
Who believes in the old age saying - be fearful when everyone is greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful.

Any thoughts people?

Hi GC...

It's been a while. I hope all is well....?

I think we have experienced some challenges in commodities and production costs really ramped up when global demand slowed. There have been some significant cost cuttings made by companies and we've now moved into increased production.

If I remember correctly GC you picked up a couple of properties in Moranbah during the previous lull in the cycle and did very well out of them.

I have a couple of properties in Emerald and think we are somewhere near the bottom of the cycle. I'm seeing some absolute bargains at the moment for those who understand the commodity cycle and are prepared to enter these markets.

The Queensland Government is really pushing hard to see the Galilee Basin open and is welcoming foreign investment. There are also companies taking advantage of the cycle and actively purchasing mines sites. A good example of this is Linc who just purchased Blair Athol in Clermont and expects to ramp up production again next year.

Warren Buffet said it right when he said 'be fearful when everyone is greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.' Certainly wouldn't be putting my money into equities at the moment with the US market looking over valued although I do hold some good quality gold miners which I picked up for an absolute bargain at an 80%-90% discount.... All part of the cycle.

Great to see you back GC!

Jack

The Queensland Govt is pushing hard to see the Galilee Basin open, but I think even all the Government's combined wealth is not enough to develop it. Same with Midwest.

The Queensland Govt is pushing hard to see the Galilee Basin open, but I think even all the Government's combined wealth is not enough to develop it. Same with Midwest.

...and really its about the global demand for the coal that is in the ground there, and prices that can be sustained between now and 2020 and beyond to justify the expenses of starting up a new project. Thats the bit I am hearing really mixed opinions on. Is thermal coal going to be worth $40, 60, 80, 100 per ton into the future...?

I have done well in mining towns before, and also not so well. EG I am waiting to see Olympic Dam go, the resources are still in the ground but that doesn't matter if the companies decide is currently not viable to pull them out. Galilee could be another of these, high risk high reward at this moment. Would love to see just a little risk come out of it with some good analysis of global future demand for thermal coal in light of cog, shale gas from us, what are real chances of china banning imports due to their smog problems etc

Hi JT7,

Great to hear from you. Been a long time.

Sorry I have been diligently industrious with the US property purchases over the last 20 odd months. Had to visit other forums like "City-Data" in the US and also walk the ground to learn the good neighbourhoods for purchases. One wrong street and it could be hell!

Well you are spot On, I was and am still invested in Moranbah since early in 2006-07 and have done well in the Cycle.

Just like every rocket needs a Lot of thrust off the ground especially in the first few kilometres, I had Moranbah properties to give me that thrust with Cashflow and CG and also the bank's view of Lending to me (it was great with it).

At the same time as I bought Moranbah in 06-07, my good friend bought in Parramatta. He still owns only that one property. He did not get that 'initial' boost. Maybe now he has made some equity, with the current cycle. But 4-5 years of Flatness seems like eternity, especially when you are pumped to Go Investing.

The market is Flat in QLD & WA mining.
Probably the contrarians will find it enticing?

Hi GC...

It's been a while. I hope all is well....?

I think we have experienced some challenges in commodities and production costs really ramped up when global demand slowed. There have been some significant cost cuttings made by companies and we've now moved into increased production.

If I remember correctly GC you picked up a couple of properties in Moranbah during the previous lull in the cycle and did very well out of them.

I have a couple of properties in Emerald and think we are somewhere near the bottom of the cycle. I'm seeing some absolute bargains at the moment for those who understand the commodity cycle and are prepared to enter these markets.

The Queensland Government is really pushing hard to see the Galilee Basin open and is welcoming foreign investment. There are also companies taking advantage of the cycle and actively purchasing mines sites. A good example of this is Linc who just purchased Blair Athol in Clermont and expects to ramp up production again next year.

Warren Buffet said it right when he said 'be fearful when everyone is greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.' Certainly wouldn't be putting my money into equities at the moment with the US market looking over valued although I do hold some good quality gold miners which I picked up for an absolute bargain at an 80%-90% discount.... All part of the cycle.

Great to see you back GC!

Jack

...and really its about the global demand for the coal that is in the ground there, and prices that can be sustained between now and 2020 and beyond to justify the expenses of starting up a new project. Thats the bit I am hearing really mixed opinions on. Is thermal coal going to be worth $40, 60, 80, 100 per ton into the future...?

I have done well in mining towns before, and also not so well. EG I am waiting to see Olympic Dam go, the resources are still in the ground but that doesn't matter if the companies decide is currently not viable to pull them out. Galilee could be another of these, high risk high reward at this moment. Would love to see just a little risk come out of it with some good analysis of global future demand for thermal coal in light of cog, shale gas from us, what are real chances of china banning imports due to their smog problems etc

Good point knightm,

When we look at the 5-7 year resources cycle, this is the bottom.
At 6 O clock.

hi deltaberry,

the three basins - Bowen, Galilee & Surat are a treasure trove.
They hold the key to supply to the next superpowers - China and India.

Bowen and Surat basins are far more developed than Galilee. There are still many undeveloped coal mines in the first two. Drilling has been extremely limited in Galilee. Putting aside infrastructure, which is the biggest constraint, to prove up a mine in the Galilee sufficiently to bring ot to BFS stage with sufficient JORC reserves will take years.

The main beneficiary of thermal coal trade - China - would rather put money in Mongolia and Africa.

It goes back to the same question. Who is building the rail? Who is expanding Townsville or Abbot Point? The only ones racing to do so are GVK/Hancock. Most people inside the industry will tell you they're unlikely to go ahead any time soon.

Long term thermal coal prices are generally forecasted at US$90/t real. Don't forget, over time, construction costs escalate as well, usually at a rate much greater than CPI.

So one of the few major price levers left in oz would be our currency. If the dollar went to 80c and stayed there is that sufficient to ramp things up? Right now the margins look too skinny and thats the only 10-20% improvement I could see on the horizon. Our coal is ok but wages will always be higher than mongolia or africa.

Well, Gentle Chief it's good to have you back mate and fantastic to see you have taken advantage of the opportunities that have presented themselves.

I had a bit of a robust discussion recently on another forum and thought it would be of interest to those on this thread so I just did a cut and paste.....

'Using the EIA as a reference (http://www.eia.gov/forecasts/ieo/coal.cfm), it's clear that China continues to increase it's reliance on coal until circa 2040 where alternatives start really asserting themselves.

In relation to China capping the use of coal, I still think it's early days and that issue is highly debatable at this stage. (See link below.) Incredibly India's population overtakes China after 2020 as an expanding middle class demands energy consuming appliances. This is what I see as a major driving factor for GVK and Adani securing coal energy in Australia now.

There is no doubt that circa 2040 it appears coal does drop and alternative energy sources begin to take the lions share of the market.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/pikeresearch/2013/06/24/chinas-coal-conundrum/

In the IEO2013 Reference case, which does not include prospective greenhouse gas reduction policies, coal remains the second largest energy source worldwide. World coal consumption rises at an average rate of 1.3 percent per year, from 147 quadrillion Btu in 2010 to 180 quadrillion Btu in 2020 and 220 quadrillion Btu in 2040 (Figure 70). The near-term increase reflects significant increases in coal consumption by China, India, and other non-OECD countries. In the longer term, growth of coal consumption decelerates as policies and regulations encourage the use of cleaner energy sources, natural gas becomes more economically competitive as a result of shale gas development, and growth of industrial use of coal slows largely as a result of China's industrial activities. Consumption is dominated by China (47 percent), the United States (14 percent), and India (9 percent), with those three countries accounting for 70 percent of total world coal consumption in 2010. Their share of world coal use increases to 75 percent in 2040

In the non-OECD countries, coal consumption increases at an average rate of 1.8 percent per year through 2040, more than compensating for the 0.2-percent average annual rate of decline in OECD coal use. As a result, the share of world coal consumption for non-OECD countries, led by China and India, increases from 70 percent in 2010 to 81 percent in 2040. China alone contributed 88 percent of the growth in world coal consumption from 2001 to 2009, which led to a significant increase in coal's share of world total energy consumption, from 24 percent in 2001 to 29 percent in 2009. China's share of global coal consumption increases from 47 percent in 2010 to 57 percent by 2025, followed by a decline to 55 percent in 2040. The sustained rapid expansion of coal use in India allows it to surpass the United States as the second-largest coal-consuming country after 2030.

Despite the significant increase in coal use by non-OECD countries, the environmental impacts of mining and burning coal have driven policies and investment decisions in favor of cleaner and increasingly competitive energy sources—natural gas in particular—in many key coal-consuming regions. Worldwide, all other energy sources, except liquids, grow faster than coal. In the electric power sector, the coal-fired share of world electricity generation declines from 40 percent in 2010 to 36 percent in 2040, whereas the combined share of renewable energy, natural gas, and nuclear power resources increases from 56 percent to 63 percent. Coal's share of fuel consumption for electricity generation declines from 43 percent in 2010 to 37 percent in 2040 (Figure 72).

World coal production parallels demand, increasing from 8.0 billion tons in 2010 to 11.5 billion tons in 2040 and reflecting the same expansion in the near term followed by much slower growth in later years. Global coal production is concentrated among four countries—China, United States, India, and Australia—and in the other countries of non-OECD Asia (mainly Indonesia30) (Figure 73). Their combined share of total world coal production increases in the IEO2013 projections from 78 percent in 2010 to 81 percent in 2040. China alone accounts for 44 percent of global coal production in 2010 and 52 percent, at its peak share, in 2030. Growth in coal production is significantly different from region to region, ranging from strong growth in China to limited growth in the United States, to steady decline in OECD Europe.

International coal trade grows by 65 percent in the Reference case, from 24.0 quadrillion Btu in 2010 to 39.6 quadrillion Btu in 2040. The share of total world coal consumption accounted for by internationally traded coal remains near the 2010 level of 16 percent, increasing slightly to 17 percent in 2020 and 18 percent in 2040. The relatively stable share primarily reflects the ability of the world's largest coal consumers—China, the United States, and India—to satisfy most of their future coal demand with domestic production.

The OECD's role in world coal consumption diminishes as fuel market fundamentals and environmental regulations shift in favor of natural gas and renewables, particularly in the OECD Americas and OECD Europe regions. OECD coal consumption declines from 45 quadrillion Btu in 2010 to 41 quadrillion Btu in 2016, recovers to 42 quadrillion Btu in 2020, and remains slightly above that level through 2040. OECD Europe and the United States, which together consume almost three-quarters of the OECD total, lead the trend toward lower consumption. Coal consumption in most other OECD subregions or countries, except for the Mexico/Chile region and South Korea, also trends downward (Figure 74). The decline in OECD coal consumption—at an average rate of 0.2 percent per year— causes the coal share of the region's total primary energy consumption to fall from 19 percent in 2010 to 15 percent in 2040. In comparison, the share of OECD energy supply from renewable energy, including hydropower, increases from 10 percent in 2010 to 15 percent in 2040.

India, the world's third-largest coal consumer in 2010, surpasses the United States as the second-largest coal consumer over the next two decades. The growth of India's coal consumption, from 12.6 quadrillion Btu in 2010 to 22.4 quadrillion Btu in 2040, is led by the electric power sector, which accounted for 65 percent of its coal consumption in 2010. India's rapidly growing population and an average GDP growth rate of 6.1 percent per year through 2040 lead to electricity demand growth of 3.8 percent per year in the IEO2013 Reference case, which is higher than in any other IEO2013 region. India's population surpasses China's after 2020, with an expanding middle class that results in the greater use of electricity-consuming appliances. Coal fueled 68 percent of India?€™s total electricity generation in 2010, and as the country strives to provide enough electricity to meet growing demand, coal-fired generation grows by 3.1 percent per year, even as generation totals from both nuclear and renewable energy (including hydropower) grow more rapidly than in any other IEO2013 region. From 2010 to 2040, India's net coal-fired electricity generation grows by a total of 910 terawatthours, more than doubling from the 2010 total. Consequently, its coal consumption for electricity generation nearly doubles, from 8.2 quadrillion Btu in 2010 to 15.6 quadrillion Btu in 2040.

Coal: It's the World's Most Hated Natural Resource ... and It's a Buy

by StreetAuthority Nov 12th 2013 6:00AM
Updated Nov 12th 2013 8:24AM

If I had to point to a segment of the natural resources sector with the lowest investor sentiment right now, it might well be coal.

Coal is thought of as antiquated and brutish, a relic that will soon be excised from the ranks of global energy markets.

It's easy to see why. On the surface, there's a lot to dislike about coal. The biggest strike against the industry is environmental. This month, the news has been rife with stories about record air pollution nearly shutting down a number of cities in northern China.

Whether it's for these environmental reasons -- or simply a matter of economics -- there's a sense that the world is turning away from coal.?Since 2009, China has been the driving force in global coal markets. Coal imports in that country exploded during the past five years, jumping to a peak of 35 million metric tons per month in December 2012. That's a 1,500 percent increase from 2008 levels. But growth in China's coal imports has stalled. Although imports are holding at a relatively high level, the days of explosive increases in import demand appear to have passed. The sense then is that we may be settling into a new normal for the coal market. Thermal prices peaked at $140 per metric ton back in 2008 when Chinese import demand began to surge. But today thermal coal has fallen back to half that level -- currently trading around $60 per metric ton on average globally.

There's a feeling among investors that thermal coal's best days are behind it. Big consumers such as China and Japan are making an effort to move away from the fuel, leaving little to drive the market.

But reports I'm reading from several parts of the world back up my suspicion that positive things are afoot in the coal sector. Changes in technology and some ground-moving shifts in global consumption patterns could spell better days ahead for these businesses.

I recently explained these shifts in the November issue of my Scarcity & Real Wealth newsletter, but suffice it to say, there's one major reason I think coal stocks could break out of their decade-low trading ranges -- one that could lead to a repeat of the kind of price spikes we saw in 2008.

Simply put, it's because India's coal industry is imploding.

Years of corruption and a bureaucracy as thick as pea soup have hobbled production of the country's mineral riches -- natural gas, iron ore and especially thermal coal.

A consequence of this was that India has struggled to grow its domestic coal production -- at a time when demand from its burgeoning power sector is surging.

The situation is becoming dire. More than 20 percent of India's 98 coal-fired power plants are running at critical levels of coal inventory -- meaning less than seven days' worth of supply. Nearly 15 percent are at "super critical" levels, down to less than four days of coal.

The coal shortage has a real potential to cripple India's power sector -- a fear that has prompted the country to import coal at a high and accelerating rate.

Hard numbers on India's imports are tough to find, but early indications are that India's coal import growth is in fact so explosive that coal market insiders see the nation passing China as the world's No. 1 coal consumer within the next three to five years.

For India to surpass China then, its thermal coal imports needs to surge by at least 65 percent from the previous fiscal year's levels of 90 million metric tons.

That's a huge amount of new demand coming into the worldwide market. The last time we got this kind of new import growth globally was in 2008, when China began ramping up its imports. That spurt coincided with a run in thermal coal prices to $140 per metric ton -- double current levels.

I recently made an appearance on Business News Network's "The Close" to talk about India's coal imports. You can see the interview by clicking here. But to put it simply, if Indian import demand unfolds the way it appears it will -- we could see an unexpected boost to revenues and profits of several key coal producers.

wow.

thanks JT7 some really good data there.

Don't know what to believe on this coal saga

Some reports say positive things like above and some say that India won't be able to afford to buy our coal...
Coupled with chinas push for more sustainable energy

Too risky at the moment, history will probably show now is the time to buy in though.

Don't know what to believe on this coal saga

Some reports say positive things like above and some say that India won't be able to afford to buy our coal...
Coupled with chinas push for more sustainable energy

Too risky at the moment, history will probably show now is the time to buy in though.

Always seems to be the case though doesn't it.....

Times when people like Peter Bond have the brass Kahunas to enter the cycle at the bottom with all the shrillers screaming this is the end of coal, similar to those screaming the end of Gold and Uranium. Some big funds starting to accumulate positions in the commodities space at the moment.

Contrarian investing certainly isn't for the faint hearted but for the likes of Jim Rogers, Marc Faber and George Soros history proves it can bring extraordinary success and wealth ;)

Happy investing, Jack

Yep look at iron ore

Sometimes you have to wonder if we are all being played and deliberately fed misleading information by the media so a few can benefit

Bit extreme I know but it's crazy how fast these things turn around. Surely more analysts would see it coming??

Would be nice to be a fly on the wall at GVK Hancock right now

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...l-rebound-could-be-bigger-than-you-think.aspx

The Coal Rebound Could Be Bigger Than You Think

The coal industry is in the midst of an industry pullback, including the shuttering of mining operations. Those closures are setting up an eventual rebound. However, Peabody Energy (NYSE: BTU ) and Arch Coal (NYSE: ACI ) both note that reopening mines isn't easy. That means a demand uptick could quickly push prices higher than the market expects.

Too much...for now
There's simply too much coal floating around the United States and the rest of the world. That's led to price declines despite still strong demand from key regions like Asia—most notably China and India. Coal miners from Peabody to Cloud Peak Energy (NYSE: CLD ) have been cutting production or are at least considering doing so.

For example, Peabody's U.S. business, which makes up about half of its sales, reduced coal shipments by about 3% in the third quarter. Its Australian and brokerage businesses, however, both grew. Cloud Peak, meanwhile, saw a 5% drop in its coal shipments. And the Powder River Basin miner has been talking about reducing its output even more, cutting 10 million tons from production at the Cordero Rojo mine by 2015 if markets don't improve.

The set up
Although this industry wide supply/demand re-balancing has been painful, particularly since coal prices have been falling, it's healthy for the overall industry. That's small consolation for Arch Coal shareholders who have seen more red ink than profits for a year or so. However, the bad news may be blinding investors to the upside potential.

Arch, for example, notes that "...there's quite a bit more coal that needs to be purchased in 2014. You could start seeing some price appreciation as we move into next calendar year." And that outlook is based on just normal weather and buying patterns. Peabody, meanwhile, highlights that "...there is a continuous demand drive, 30 million tons a year of additional met coal, 50 million tons a year of additional thermal coal that's going to have to be met and existing capacity is not there to meet it."

No flip of the switch
Peabody even hinted that it expects the coal industry's fundamentals to change "sharply." But why? The reason is all of the mine closures. For example, at its third quarter conference call, Arch noted that "...we probably have more idle equipment than most out there." And that "...we're not going to [be] bringing that idle equipment back until we see a sustained improvement in the market; and that's not a quarter or two..." The company wants long-term agreements at solid prices.

Cloud Peak is of the same mind with regard to its potential Cordero Rojo mine reduction. "I think the important thing is to be clear that we're going down until things change enough to make it worthwhile going up." And, like Arch, that means the markets need to improve "significantly."

And, complicating the issue, Cloud Peak is planning on moving its Cordero equipment to other mines to save on costs. That means increasing production at the mine again could be more difficult and take longer than you'd think. Arch, for example, notes that it can' just "flip a switch " and bring idled production back on line, a situation that it believes is "...pretty indicative of others as well."

A combination of factors
So, with production falling and underlying demand starting to firm—what happens if there's not enough coal being mined? Peabody, Cloud Peak, and Arch would be happy to see coal prices spike, but none seem likely to start increasing production right away. And the truth is that they probably couldn't increase supply quickly enough to stop a rapid coal price ascent even if they wanted to.

In other words, if coal prices start to move higher because demand is outstripping supply, the move could rapidly start to feed on itself. That would be good news for the coal miners and surprise a market that seems to believe coal is on its death bed.

China's Coal Crisis

By DAVID WINNING
Updated Nov. 16, 2010 3:44 p.m. ET

SYDNEY—The idea of peak oil—the point at which global production reaches its maximum—has fixated the energy industry for years. Now, China is grappling with a new worry: peak coal.

State-run media reported that Beijing is considering capping domestic coal output in the 2011-2015 period, partly because officials worry miners are running down reserves too quickly to meet the needs of a rapidly expanding economy.

"China accounts for around 14% of global coal reserves but its share of global coal consumption is already over triple that at 47%, which is unsustainable," Hong Kong-based brokerage CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets said in a report last month.

Imposing a cap would be significant as China's mining sector is already finding it hard to keep up with domestic coal demand, which has grown around 10% annually over the past decade.

Enlarge Image

A worker shovels coal on a truck at a factory in Nanjing in east China's Jiangsu province earlier this month. Zuma Press

Its net coal imports exceeded 106 million metric tons in the first nine months of the year—higher than the level for 2009 as a whole—and state companies have been aggressively acquiring overseas coal assets to secure long-term supply.

In the three years to September 2010, Chinese companies spent $20.96 billion on overseas coal-sector acquisitions, according to Dealogic.

An output ceiling would also underpin regional coal prices, which are near six-month highs on expectations that China will import record volumes of coal this month and in December.

While China hasn't declared publicly it will impose a coal production cap, the idea is gathering momentum.

Zhang Guobao, head of China's National Energy Administration, said in a speech on Oct. 27 that he doesn't favor the country's coal output expanding above four billion tons a year.

Policy makers are mulling an annual cap of between 3.6 billion tons and 3.8 billion tons in the next five-year plan, running from 2011 to 2015, the state-run Xinhua news agency reported earlier.

This would be unlikely to hurt large state-owned miners, such as China Shenhua Energy Co. 601088.SH +1.37% , as they have invested in modern equipment and can generate economies of scale. Shenhua aims to double its annual coal output capacity to 400 million tons in the 2009-2014 period.

However, small mines and township operations will be under increasing pressure. Shanxi province has closed scores of small mines in a bid to improve safety and efficiency, and Inner Mongolia region and Henan province are taking similar steps.

Even if no official limits are introduced, China can't keep growing coal output much beyond another decade, analysts say. The mining sector is constrained by chronic infrastructure bottlenecks, especially road and rail, and those coal deposits that are easiest to mine have already been tapped.

Experts are starting to predict when China's coal reserves will run out—a nightmare scenario in a country where 70% of its energy is derived from coal.

According to BP BP +1.29% PLC, China can only continue at current rates of production for 38 years before its coal reserves are exhausted. That compares with 245 years in the U.S., and 105 years in India.

BP estimates that China had 114.5 billion tons of proven coal reserves at the end of 2009, ranking it third behind the U.S. and Russia. The International Energy Agency says China could have as much as 189 billion tons of coal that it hasn't tapped yet.

Calculating the size of China's coal reserves isn't easy. The government doesn't publish data on discoveries or how much coal can still be recovered from existing mines. Complicating matters further, China's National Bureau of Statistics recently stopped issuing monthly output figures.

In addition, not all coal has the same energy content. That's significant as many new discoveries in Inner Mongolia are of poorer quality than the coal reserves being depleted in Shanxi.

But the strength of China's coal demand, and moves by miners to raise output in step, is worrying the market as well as Beijing.

Even if China's annual coal demand growth halved to 5% then the country would run out of coal in 21 years unless it finds material new deposits, CLSA says, using 114.5 billion tons of reserves as a benchmark.

The picture isn't much brighter when calculations use IEA estimates of China's proven reserves. Annual consumption growth of 5% would see China run out of coal in 28 years, it forecasts.

"With either estimate, it is clear that the rapid increase of coal production puts China's energy security at risk," CLSA says.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704312504575617810380509880

Some numbers to digest from the report:

During 2011-12, sales and service income for the Mining industry was $218.3b of which Iron ore mining accounted for 31.3% (or $68.3b), Coal mining with 26.8% (or $58.6b) and Oil and gas extraction with 16.1% (or $35.2b).

At the end of June 2012, the Australian Mining industry employed 195,000 persons of which Exploration and other mining support services and Coal mining accounted for 25.6% (or about 50,000 persons) and 23.6% (or about 46,000 persons), respectively. Iron ore mining accounted for a further 13.8% (or about 27,000 persons) of Mining industry employment.

In 2011-12 Western Australia accounted for 55.6% (or $112.1b) of sales and service income for the Selected mining industry, followed by Queensland with 22.4% (or $45.2b) and New South Wales with 13.3% (or $26.8b).

During 2011-12, total labour costs to the Australian Mining industry was $27.0b of which Wages and salaries accounted for 87.3% (or $23.6b) of the total.

Profit margin for the Mining industry was 38.3%.

Back