Where to buy 650K in Sydney

True, no-one ever hops on the internet to rant about how much they love their suburb, or a particular restaurant, or their bank in general...

I'm stunned and scared that a price of 650k can't get you a house within an hour's commute of the city in Sydney. That would buy you close to prime real estate in most parts of the world. Prices have gone so crazy in Sydney and Melbourne that I wouldn't touch anything there at the moment. Especially not for a PPOR. It just doesn't make sense.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-girraween-117153543

I think they are still few around.

I missed this property for about 2-3K and a pushy agent. The house got sold for 655K. My offer was 652K

The agent was pushing to sign the contract even before the offer was accepted by the owner. I thought that was not normal.

No :D ..... as noted previously, you will struggle to get a decent place for $650K - as this is not the current market value - even if someone sold directly to you, and saved on agent commission.

I missed this property for about 2-3K and a pushy agent. The house got sold for 655K. My offer was 652K

The agent was pushing to sign the contract even before the offer was accepted by the owner. I thought that was not normal.

I know the agency. Not surprised in this market. As a FHb back in 2009 I learned, it's a costly mistake to miss a property for a couple of k's.

The one we purchased, we signed the contracts before it even went on the market :D

Last edited:

Yeah, there is a fair bit of competition in these areas.

We also had to do the same, sign before hand.

Build a relationship with the agents. I know elders toongabbie are the most challenging ones to build one with. They were the least helpful.

Goodluck with the search.

Last edited:
I think you're best checking out the suburbs you can actually afford and go with the nicest out of them. Forget reviews because everyone is looking for something different. You can't really judge an area until you drive there, get out of the car, walk the streets and go to the local shops. Forget suburbs that are out of your price range. I figure if you buy where you can afford then you will find there are a lot of peopling living there that are just like you. If you keep trying to buy in areas that are too expensive then you will end up never buying anything. Just like my aunt and uncle that are in their 50s and are still renting because they would only live on the Northern Beaches and can't afford it. Back when they had just gotten married they would have been able to get a nice house in the Hills but back then the Hills didn't have as good a reputation as it does today so now they totally missed the boat and would only be able to afford a house in the Western Suburbs and there is no way they would ever do that.

Thanks!

I dont mind driving around to check but how do I know in a day if the area is good :D

I must trust people on forums like this to get an overview of the suburb who might be living there for sometime. I agree I cant be depending totally on the reviews but thats a good starting point for people like me. So reviews are not always a bad start.

I had one question about the HC stock. How do I identify the HC houses when I drive around :confused:

I think you're best checking out the suburbs you can actually afford and go with the nicest out of them. Forget reviews because everyone is looking for something different. You can't really judge an area until you drive there, get out of the car, walk the streets and go to the local shops. Forget suburbs that are out of your price range. I figure if you buy where you can afford then you will find there are a lot of peopling living there that are just like you. If you keep trying to buy in areas that are too expensive then you will end up never buying anything. Just like my aunt and uncle that are in their 50s and are still renting because they would only live on the Northern Beaches and can't afford it. Back when they had just gotten married they would have been able to get a nice house in the Hills but back then the Hills didn't have as good a reputation as it does today so now they totally missed the boat and would only be able to afford a house in the Western Suburbs and there is no way they would ever do that.

Oh Okay . I didn't know that. Damn I missed a good deal then :mad:
Yeah, there is a fair bit of competition in these areas.

We also had to do the same, sign before hand.

Build a relationship with the agents. I know elders toongabbie are the most challenging ones to build one with. They were the least helpful.

Goodluck with the search.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you!

What do you suggest because i'm paying a rent of 2250 per month? Keep renting and wait for sometime?

I'm stunned and scared that a price of 650k can't get you a house within an hour's commute of the city in Sydney. That would buy you close to prime real estate in most parts of the world. Prices have gone so crazy in Sydney and Melbourne that I wouldn't touch anything there at the moment. Especially not for a PPOR. It just doesn't make sense.

Yaaaa missed it by 2-3 K

I guess you may not be able to find out the other offers... I guess listen to the agent, then make a quick decision!! No time to wait. Having said this, no one has a crystal ball on when the market will slow down etc. I understand good properties are still selling.

I totally agree with this. Do you really want to be signing contracts without pest and building inspections? You may need to wait until demand (probably not price) has cooled or alter your expectations a little.

Thanks!

I dont mind driving around to check but how do I know in a day if the area is good :D

I must trust people on forums like this to get an overview of the suburb who might be living there for sometime. I agree I cant be depending totally on the reviews but thats a good starting point for people like me. So reviews are not always a bad start.

I had one question about the HC stock. How do I identify the HC houses when I drive around :confused:

Or you need to get out and walk around and see if you feel comfortable. Ask re agents where the housing commission is. At the end of the day, if you feel comfortable, it should be fine. Everywhere in Sydney will soon be gentrified!

There are all sorts of reports from all sorts of people - some who live in fantasy land and think they're top of the line classy because they're living in suburb A and not suburb B. Poppycock. Delusion. Unrealistic.

What do you think? If you're the one moving into that area, you're one of the people who will lead to it's gentrification. :) 650k will get you a good unit in a good suburb. Or a nice little house a bit further out. Have you looked around Granville, Merrylands area?

The prices have gone up significantly in the past one year. If the admission to primary schools is a concern rent in the area initially until the children gets admitted and move to the house where ever u buy later. The entrance into selective high schools is based solely on the exams and does not matter whether
you live in that area. Anyone can get into selective schools irrespective of where they live.

Cousin recently settled on a home in Seven Hills.
Its on the side that borders Kings Langley.

I can honestly say the vibe (during the day time), felt like very nice place to live. In comparison, i looked a place that was 2 min walk to Seven Hills shops (the ones next to the station) and that gave me a dodgy vibe.

I'm a train kinda guy, but will that say places that are closer to the station are usually dodgier. People like to loiter around stations for some reasons. Bus stops, don't have that issue.

Cousin recently settled on a home in Seven Hills.
Its on the side that borders Kings Langley.

I can honestly say the vibe (during the day time), felt like very nice place to live. In comparison, i looked a place that was 2 min walk to Seven Hills shops (the ones next to the station) and that gave me a dodgy vibe.

I'm a train kinda guy, but will that say places that are closer to the station are usually dodgier. People like to loiter around stations for some reasons. Bus stops, don't have that issue.

I disagree with this. You can live in a very clean street 200-500m from Revesby or Padstow station.

Back