Where to buy 650K in Sydney

I disagree with this. You can live in a very clean street 200-500m from Revesby or Padstow station.

Not all suburbs are the same. It was a generalisation - hence the word "usually"

The dodginess vibe of the place depends on the people loitering. And GENERALLY people tend to loiter around stations.

W2a you probably would've missed out on that property anyway even if u had signed a contract. TR works on a silent auction process. So silent that each agent in the business has no idea what signed contracts the other agents have. TR allows agents from all 3 of their offices to sell any property on the books so that's a lot of potential contracts on the table with no disclosure on other offers. They've just lost a few agents from one of their offices and I wonder if it was due to this practice. I don't make offers on any of their properties anymore.

The majority of agents in the area don't use this method. If they ask for a signed contract to take to the owner they generally give you an opportunity to increase your offer if it puts you back in the drivers seat.

Not sure its the right idea without a building and pest report. This agent was not ready to change the contract subject to any conditions.

A contract is a legal document . Do you sign without getting it reviewed by your solicitor?

I think in this environment, you should make your offers with a signed contract and a deposit cheque attached as a minimum

Ya and the agent kept telling me mine was not a good offer but insisted on signing the contract.

W2a you probably would've missed out on that property anyway even if u had signed a contract. TR works on a silent auction process. So silent that each agent in the business has no idea what signed contracts the other agents have. TR allows agents from all 3 of their offices to sell any property on the books so that's a lot of potential contracts on the table with no disclosure on other offers. They've just lost a few agents from one of their offices and I wonder if it was due to this practice. I don't make offers on any of their properties anymore.

The majority of agents in the area don't use this method. If they ask for a signed contract to take to the owner they generally give you an opportunity to increase your offer if it puts you back in the drivers seat.

Ya I think you are right about building relationship with the agents. I should start doing that :D

Yeah, there is a fair bit of competition in these areas.

We also had to do the same, sign before hand.

Build a relationship with the agents. I know elders toongabbie are the most challenging ones to build one with. They were the least helpful.

Goodluck with the search.

Thank you!

True but if its same kind of report from different people, then there's something wrong :D

No I wouldn't sign a contract without a building and pest done and also without a solicitor review

I totally agree with this. Do you really want to be signing contracts without pest and building inspections? You may need to wait until demand (probably not price) has cooled or alter your expectations a little.

Or you need to get out and walk around and see if you feel comfortable. Ask re agents where the housing commission is. At the end of the day, if you feel comfortable, it should be fine. Everywhere in Sydney will soon be gentrified!

There are all sorts of reports from all sorts of people - some who live in fantasy land and think they're top of the line classy because they're living in suburb A and not suburb B. Poppycock. Delusion. Unrealistic.

What do you think? If you're the one moving into that area, you're one of the people who will lead to it's gentrification. :) 650k will get you a good unit in a good suburb. Or a nice little house a bit further out. Have you looked around Granville, Merrylands area?

Also are you serious that I should be looking at merrylands :D

I totally agree with this. Do you really want to be signing contracts without pest and building inspections? You may need to wait until demand (probably not price) has cooled or alter your expectations a little.

Or you need to get out and walk around and see if you feel comfortable. Ask re agents where the housing commission is. At the end of the day, if you feel comfortable, it should be fine. Everywhere in Sydney will soon be gentrified!

There are all sorts of reports from all sorts of people - some who live in fantasy land and think they're top of the line classy because they're living in suburb A and not suburb B. Poppycock. Delusion. Unrealistic.

What do you think? If you're the one moving into that area, you're one of the people who will lead to it's gentrification. :) 650k will get you a good unit in a good suburb. Or a nice little house a bit further out. Have you looked around Granville, Merrylands area?

No I wouldn't sign a contract without a building and pest done and also without a solicitor review

You can do these things during cooling off!!You get 5 days in NSW, which can be extended to 10 days. We always ask for 10 days to allow time for any paperwork and investigation.

Thanks!

I dont mind driving around to check but how do I know in a day if the area is good :D

I must trust people on forums like this to get an overview of the suburb who might be living there for sometime. I agree I cant be depending totally on the reviews but thats a good starting point for people like me. So reviews are not always a bad start.

I had one question about the HC stock. How do I identify the HC houses when I drive around :confused:

Try looking at Social Atlas. The data is a few years old so I would say most areas have less housing commission now than is shown but it gives you an idea. Select the council area you want to look at and go into map selector, housing tenure, rent social housing.

Not sure its the right idea without a building and pest report. This agent was not ready to change the contract subject to any conditions.

A contract is a legal document . Do you sign without getting it reviewed by your solicitor?

yes...all the time

just know what to look for in a contract...and with regards to building and pest....depends how much you want the property....95% of the time if you know what you're looking for, any B&P problems are quite obvious...otherwise a proper report should take no longer than 24 hours...

in a hot market, your biggest problem is going to be competition...and many will already know how to read a contract and look for building and pest damage without professional help

Units can appreciate faster than land/houses. There are no0 hard and fast rules.

When buying your PPR I would advise to find a place your wife is socially engaged, your kid can have a good school experience, you can all walk on the street at night safely, the air is fresh/clean, no noise pollution. If you need to stretch yourself, or get a unit rather than a house, I believe that's worth it for the quality of life.

ie, I'd rather live in a 2bdrm unit in Rose Bay - cheaper than a house in Blacktown.

Seems like Granville has some relatively decent value. Quite a few house prices well under 650K.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-granville-117090507

I"ve been looking at the market for a number of years while holding a FHSA and am still yet to buy a property in Australia. I think the capital cities are way overpriced and I just can't see how it's sustainable. Have picked up a property in the US in the meantime for about a 10th of the median unit price in Sydney.

Back