Where to Buy Next

Where would you buy next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
here's a Fun Poll on where to buy next?

Post even if you can't afford to buy but would like to in this State, the results should show a general feeling from the members here.

You may even say why.

Dont worry to much about houses, units or apratments etc the purpose it to get a feeling for different areas, I think someone here mentioned the somersoft barometer once

you can vote for more than one area

I've voted for TAS and VIC.

TAS, only because I live here and I have a good idea of the local market, and then only if I could see I was buying value or could value add.

VIC because its close. From the 'feel' I've got from the forum, it's a good time to be buying there for capital growth. But then, what do heck do I know about the Victorian market and where would I buy over there anyway?

I'd also consider SA and QLD.

Last edited:
  • I have invested in WA previously, but consider it too "overheated" to buy there again anytime soon.
  • I live in SA but dont think I'd ever buy a "buy and hold" property here. I'd consider some dual occ / minor dev deals that are currently about though.
  • I'd buy in Melbourne ATM for buy / hold.

I live in FNQ and buy there because I'm more familiar with the market. Some of the little towns have property quite undervalued, and rent for a motza.

cheers
Sharon

If I had the spare money I would buy even more property in the forest/northern beaches/lower north shore suburbs in Sydney.
Why?
because it is the best city in the world.:) I reckon anyway
Simon

If I had the spare money I would buy even more property in the forest/northern beaches/lower north shore suburbs in Sydney.
Why?
because it is the best city in the world.:) I reckon anyway
Simon

Here here! Invest in blue chip areas of Sydney NOW whilst sentiment is low, doom and gloom abounds, and you will reap the rewards over the next upswing. It's an international city, has so much to offer, and nothing matches it for location and opportunity. Ok Ok now I'm raving.....
And please don't think I'm saying this to generate business. I have always believed in the long term track record of solid capital cities and Sydney hasn't let me down long term (yet!).

Can you tell I'm a Sydney gal through and through?!!! :)

Though I like Brissy as well.. bit of a soft spot there as well.... but only for props close to city that appeal to a very wide circle of buyers and tenants alike....

HAHAHA!!!

Well, I'm sure Simon can answer for himself, Rubes, but surely Canberrra's been a stepping stone to better things?! ;) :D

*Jacque expects to receive massive ribbing from all Canberranites from this point in time!!*

I voted Melbourne, more specifically cheaper outer suburbs with all amenities nearby.

But I can't make a compelling case for it just yet despite many visits and research.

Peter

hi

Sydney is the place!

It would feel very strange if Perth became more expensive than Sydney.

In the forest/northern beaches, is there rental demand there for long-term tenants or is it mainly short-term holiday tenants?

I think the lower north shore is a great place as well but, in general, is still fairly expensive :( (prices havent crashed too hard)

Would you buy in the south or south-west?

As I have NO IDEA where anything is in Sydney, what are some of the suburbs in that area so I can have a bit of a look at RE.com?

I really need to broaden my horizons I think.... :rolleyes:

I voted VIC and QLD though don't have a great depth of knowledge on either state (though I'm learning)

Brisbane and Melbourne would be my choices

Last edited:
ill go with redwing vic then qul still see some cheap houses in the jusy outer west going cheep that look like will rent quick.......

vic and qld

I voted qld and vic would buy in s.e qld outer towns like aldershot howard etc

mainly becuase am very familar with the area.

vic would buy melton as have a friend there and beutiful homes I belive still

under value and paradise & golden beaches love coastal land.

I'm with Sydney, because I live here & now is a good time to be buying. The only other place I would be interested in would be QLD. I have bought several interstate properties before, but never in QLD.

Is that why you live in Canberra? :D

Not for much longer Ruby:)
Canberra realestate has contributed to our wealth strategy considerably and at present our Sydney properties are bleeding us but in the long term I doubt we'll be dissapointed.
From looking at historical growth charts on the last three occasions as Canberras middle class realestate prices starts to edge the Sydney median then Sydney and Melbourne have raced off up the scale leaving Canberra on its steady slow growth pattern. Some would argue that Canberra has 11yr growth cycles while Sydney and Melbourne have them around 7 to 8 years.
Canberras home rental market(thats what we invest in) has been fairly strong with the exception of those couple of catch up years following a boom when house prices double over a short period. That is what Canberra seems to do ie: slow to no growth for a long period and then a sudden spurt at the end of a cycle. So holding Canberra property is good if it is bought at last years price and is able to attract next years rent.
Sydney is a different story. About twelve months ago was a great time to get into the Sydney market because the bust after the boom was in full swing. We were looking at Killarney Heights which is at the top end of Middle Harbour, just over the Roseville bridge. This suburb was established in the mid to late 60's and was dubbed at that time by locals as "Mortgage Mountain" It hosts a number of larger 4 bed 2/3 bathroom homes in original condition. That was our target area. The reason being that the houses we bought hosted a self contained flat or where just great value at that time. The two incomes help to assist the holding costs while the properties rise in value. So we are basically "sitting on our hands" with Sydney and going gang busters in Canberra with values and rents rising. So the bottom line for me is ...
I sure hope History repeats itself just ONE MORE TIME.:) Please
cheers
Simon
my opinions only

Back