where to buy softwares at low price?

Where can I purchase softwares like MYOB at a cheap price?

I dont mind if they are original or not...

Is the Melbourne swap meet good? or ebay?

So you want software?

Golden Shopping Centre, ShoShamPo, HKG.

Not trying to be smart here, but that is a really good source for software. Yeh yeh, bit far from Melbourne hey folks? Anyone passing thru HKG can get it for you.

If you are a student, or you know a student, you may be able to get it at a discount. Most Uni's have a place where you can buy stuff like that.

Sim said:
Don't buy illegal software, and don't illegally copy software.
Especially as this business software is cheap and tax deductible anyway.
If you buy it 2nd hand you should check with your accountant whether
you can claim the expense.
cheers

BV said:
If you buy it 2nd hand you should check with your accountant whether you can claim the expense.

... and if you are looking to buy second hand - it's worth checking the license agreement for the software - not all software is allowed to be resold, and there are some restrictions on the way in which some software is sold.

For example, an OEM copy of MS Office shipped with a new computer may not be re-sold separately ... it must remain with the computer it was purchased with.

On a different track but I just remembered when Sim said OEM.
Sim the new service Pack 2 from Microsoft,is it ok to down load if I only have the OEM version of windows xp?I have heard on another forum that it can cause problems?
Thanks,
Peter

I have use for a simple desktop publishing package to do price and "This machine remains the property of.... " tickets. I have Lotus Freelance Graphics bit it seems overly complex and difficult for such a simple task.

Harvard Graphics, as offered 10 yrs ago was great but I've lost my copy. Is there a cheap or free-ware program on offer?

Thanks ..... Thommo.

Thommo said:
Is there a cheap or free-ware program on offer?

Try SmartDraw - we used to rely on this in my old job when doing technical documentation for our software projects. Very versitile program.

I hate Freelance Graphics - I'm so glad that we now have a choice internally at IBM - most people use MS Powerpoint - although quite a few of us are starting to use OpenOffice.org (although I'm yet to use it for presentations myself - just spreadsheets and word processing).

There's an idea actually Thommo ... check out OpenOffice.org ... great tools, and free !

pete152 said:
I have heard on another forum that it can cause problems?

I've not heard anything specific about problems with OEM copies of Windows and XP SP2 (but then, I've not specifically looked for info on this) ... however, I am not installing SP2 myself for quite a while anyway ... breaks way too many things for my liking.

IBM staff worldwide (about 400,000 machines) are under strict instructions to not install SP2 because it is known to break some of the applications we run. *sigh*

I read the newsletter that Scot Finnie writes, and he has done quite extensive research into SP2 - worth reading some of the stuff he has written just so you know what you are in for if you do upgrade.

rodimus said:
What accounting software do u guys prefer? Is MYOB good?

I need to keep accounts for my new company/trust.
If it is a trading company you will need MYOB or Quicken, but if it's a holding company with a minimum of entries MYOB in particular would be too complex. Quicken is easier, but cheaper still is a spread sheet or a simple paper system. You may find it is less time comsuming even. I know my accountant wouldn't blink if she was given an old paper cash book from a small biz. She loves 'em!

Thommo

When Thommo says "Quicken", he actually means "Quickbooks" ... Quicken is the consumer product, Quickbooks is the business product.

I highly recommend Quickbooks for both personal and business accounting.

Back