where to buy $USD

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone knows a good place in Sydney to exchange $AUD for $USD?

We are going overseas and will need about US$5000 with us and just thought I would see if anyone knows of a place that has good exchange rates.

Thanks in advance :)

I found the Post Office to have the best rate.

Just go in and order the currency then pick them up a few days later.

Sanj -- we are travelling to Argentina/Peru and Brazil. For the most part we will just draw cash out at ATMS but we will need USD for Argentina because the official exchange rate is awful (as well as other things like paying for the Inca trek)

Blacky, Simon and SYD -- thanks will check out your suggestions :) really appreciate the help in finding a starting point

Just back from Hawaii.

I can confirm that the ATMs i used (even though they said a fee was being charged) charged me $0 for withdrawing when using the Citibank Plus debit visa card.

Downside is that the rate was AUD1 to USD0.85.
In comparison using eftpos it was AUD1 to USD87

I changed my cash at Western Union at Wynyard station. Wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worse (AUD1 to USD84) that was mid Oct. They were happy to accommodate my request of small bills.

Depending on how much time you have until you fly, Citibank Plus Debit is an option (will take up to 3 weeks to get the card, i got it in 1.5 weeks). Just don't let them sign up you to the dud signature credit card.

Yes -- I was thinking about getting a citibank card for the majority of the trip as the fee free is a real big draw.

However, I still need some cash because we are going to Argentina. If i withdraw money in Argentina it will be at the official rate which is crap whereas if i take USD and exchange them over there the rate is much better (yes i am aware I will be charged two lots of exchange fees).

There is also the problem that some things can only be paid for in USD (i.e. the Inca trek, we have paid a deposit and the rest needs to be paid in cash, they were very clear that it needs to be in USD and I am not sure how many of the ATMs there dispense USD).

If you end up at one of those exchange booths at the airport or elsewhere don't accept the rate offered.

A simple "can you do any better than that?" Works wonders.

Back