where to find phone line

hi,
just got the new IP and previous owner said they dont use a phone line and don't have one. they use the phone along with the cable internet. so i assume they were talking about voip.

i called telstra and was told the place had a phone line connected till jan of 09.
But i've looked everywhere around the house and can't find a socket.

since the phone was once connect, you would think there a phone socket somewhere.

Who can i call to find where the phone line is in the house, electrian?
any idea the cost?

thanks!

Attachments

• phone.jpg
    phone.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 116
From my experience of (unfortunately) previously working at Telstra, unless you can find out the "inplace number", ie the one that was used there last.... or if they discover one was connected there a year or 2 ago but the line / port has since been 'reassigned' to another house...

They'll install a new line - this costed $299 back then, not sure what it is now.

This is regardless of whether you find the socket or not.

You could try and have a look in the roof space to see if you can see the cable.
I suggest looking above the most obvious places ie near kitchen bench, recesses, bedroom.

Regards

Regrow

At this point sounds like you're up for a $299 "new connection" :(

Back when i was working there, even had customers who were calling the phone plugged into the socket in their house who would be quoted a $299 job. This was it being a newly built house (due to it being a jitnep) where the original owner didn't have an active account. The "new connection" cost is also imposed where a line or port has been reassigned elsewhere (due to the house not being connected for a year or 2, like in your case).

My advice to you is to find out the previous landline telephone number going into that house, that will enable Telstra to better assess. Perhaps ask previous owner if he can check any old documentation.

Even if they do quote $299 over the phone, if the Telstra techie (turns up :rolleyes:) discovers infrastructure exists at the home, he'll downgrade it to a $59 (normal) connection or a $125 (minor work) connection. Get a printout from him.

Last edited:
There will always be a connection point on the outside of the house, usually in a plastic box of some description.

You need to check if the houses in the area are fed via aerial cables or underground. If they are all aerial and you don't have the cable to your house then you are unlucky and will need a new connection. If it is there check in the roof to see where it goes.

If the connection is underground there is generally a box externally where it first connects however if it is an older house the connection would have been made at the first phone point. In most cases this would have been either near the front door, lounge room or kitchen if the building is on piers you may have to get dirty.

Otherwise pay the $300 and get a new connection.

Regards

Andrew

Back