Where to I go to from now now!?

Long time lurker, first time poster,

I thank everyone's posts, it has been a pleasure since Day 1.

I was wondering if people could point me in the right direction for my situation, dreams and goals,

I turned 30 in Jan 2011 and purchased my first IP as a birthday present to myself and to get me in property investment,

Fast forward 18 months, I currently have 16 IPs @ average value of $147kish, net portfolio value 2.3m, (based on purchase price) LVR 80% with approx 5% in offset, I believe I have purchased under market value each time, between 5% and 20% off market value, so current value may be up to 10% higher then purchase prices. Current yield 7.8% before any costs, after management costs, rates, insurance, Landlords insurance, its about break even which im pretty happy about,

Im finding that residential property might not be suitable for me long term and by purchasing at the rate im going at, I feel my risk profile will become too high,

My ultimate goals is to become a hot shot and even large scale developer or even renovator, where I work full time doing one or all of the above. Eventually, I would like to either get into a joint venture for a far larger project(s) or keep on doing the same thing but still on a less sized scale but a joint venture where I do less of the physical work and more of the management with less risk due to the joint venture. At present I feel the current options for me are:

a) renovate existing properties in between tenants, increase equity, increase rent, and refinance, assume each project takes 3 weeks, thats 10 per year

b) as above but with buying properties

c) Buy blocks of land with existing houses and subdivide in to 2-3 units, hopefully this will lead to 5 unit sites, and eventually maybe entire villages

In order to achieve my goals, should I do a combination of all of the above? or do one of them or any of them? Am I on the right track?

For the record I am single father and have full custody of my daughter, and have only worked part time for the past few years for a multitude of reasons.

I thank in advance for responses

I'd start with option 1, then move to 2 & 3. You're going to need funds and possiblity serviceability to execute the later 2, so option 1 is potentially a good way to fund that.

Renovating existing IPs and creating equity could also serve as a good learning experience to move onto 2, then 3.

For the record I am single father and have full custody of my daughter, and have only worked part time for the past few years for a multitude of reasons.

I'd love to know how you purchased 16 properties only working part time in 18 mths? You're truly a rare animal.:D You must have a great income or maybe inherited or borrowed from family?

Love to hear the full story if you like to share it. You must be sick of signing contracts.

16 properties worth 2.3 mil with your leverage give or take 575-600K net total assets?

being you it is just abt break even - maybe you should be increase your rental otherwise holding that without being highly positive geared is risky unless you have some development potential you wish to do with those ips.

Personally, i would rather just own 1 property worth 600K paid off as oppose to having so many and breaking even.

20% deposit + 5% expense = $575K!! (to buy 2.3Mil worth of IPs)
All 16 of them are 5-20% under market value
7.8% yield.

Something is not 'normal' :)

7.8% yield.

Possible if he is cashed up with lo-doc loans.

To answer the original questions - only go down the development path if you have strong cashflow to service the debt comfortably. I think lots of people get a bit caught up in the whole exercise and forget that at the end of the day, you have to pay back the money plus interest and market forces can make or break you. Just my 2 cents.

Interesting location TMNT comes from.
Might be one of "Investing my Inheritance" mates.
Someone who has 16 IP's should be advising us not the other way around.
Hopefully this is the real deal.:rolleyes:

I'd love to know how you purchased 16 properties only working part time in 18 mths? You're truly a rare animal.:D You must have a great income or maybe inherited or borrowed from family?

Love to hear the full story if you like to share it. You must be sick of signing contracts.

Long story, followed up lots of hiccups,
im a very positive person except when it comes to my ex,
After I split up with the ex, I bought into with a business partner a few gyms, expanded to a couple, opened classes, increased memberships in 3 years. At this point, ex got wind of this and got a new lawyer and wanted to claim 50% of the business saying that I had operated it while we were together. Its a pity that I didnt even know my business partner when we split up. She had one of those feminisit lawyers who was like a hyena, initially wanting $600k, when the business was worth approx $500k. A stupid amount of legal fees later, i had no choice but to sell my share of the business and pay her out, as she had claimed that she had consulted for the business in its initial stages (she is rather health conscious), which she couldnt prove nor could I disprove.

As aaron said, I started off with 60% LVR lo doc loans, however, had to borrow from family to pay her out, and thus my lvr is now 80%, as by the time I paid the lawyers, and half of my share, the gyms only left me with $150k odd, and business had slowed down somewhat

at this stage I intend to do (1), (2) simultaneously while I really try and investigate (3), being cash flow neutral doesnt help with cashflow, however since im not at 100% lvr, the differenec in LVR will be my income towards building towards a fund for (1) (2) and most importatnly (3)

but I do feel doing it this way will take too long, and hence ive posted here

7.8% yield.

correct, im not normal :)

Sorry to hear about the rough ride. Sadly you're not alone. Just wondering where your IP's are located. In my area the val's have gone down and the valuers are jittery so reno + reval may be tough to make much headway?

c) will potentially reward you the most though it can be a consuming task particularly if you are inexperienced in the building industry. Starting with a duplex could help to begin with.

Good luck with it. :)

Long story, followed up lots of hiccups,
im a very positive person except when it comes to my ex,
After I split up with the ex, I bought into with a business partner a few gyms, expanded to a couple, opened classes, increased memberships in 3 years. At this point, ex got wind of this and got a new lawyer and wanted to claim 50% of the business saying that I had operated it while we were together. Its a pity that I didnt even know my business partner when we split up. She had one of those feminisit lawyers who was like a hyena, initially wanting $600k, when the business was worth approx $500k. A stupid amount of legal fees later, i had no choice but to sell my share of the business and pay her out, as she had claimed that she had consulted for the business in its initial stages (she is rather health conscious), which she couldnt prove nor could I disprove.

As aaron said, I started off with 60% LVR lo doc loans, however, had to borrow from family to pay her out, and thus my lvr is now 80%, as by the time I paid the lawyers, and half of my share, the gyms only left me with $150k odd, and business had slowed down somewhat

at this stage I intend to do (1), (2) simultaneously while I really try and investigate (3), being cash flow neutral doesnt help with cashflow, however since im not at 100% lvr, the differenec in LVR will be my income towards building towards a fund for (1) (2) and most importatnly (3)

but I do feel doing it this way will take too long, and hence ive posted here

correct, im not normal :)

Great work TMNT !!

You're like one of those bop bags, you keep on bouncing back up

images

Great work TMNT !!

You're like one of those bop bags, you keep on bouncing back up

images

thanks!

Wouldnt mind replacing the balloon with the ex! :)

I have purchased in vic, nsw, qld, and sa,

when i find an area i like, i try and buy two which are similar but yet different so to spread the risk but at the same time cement the results of my research\advice

i have a question for everyone, call me unreasonable, but im starting to think that my strategy might be good for building longterm equity, however for cashflow, quite poor. had a friend from overseas visit and was edxplaining what my plans for renos are,

she was shocked to hear that i would be willing to buy a negatively geared property after, fees, insurance, rates, everything, and after reno it would be cashflow neutral. she saw it as spending all that time and effort and money into a project which my net cashflow is zero.

Anyway, other then waiting for rents to rise etc, what are some good cashflow methods.

I was thinking about buying, renovating and flipping for say a 25k profit, do it twice a year, 50k profit, which is double what i am happy with for cashflow, but stamp duty, marketing costs and comissions makes me feel that im doing all the hard work for the agents and government!

Edit; tmnt stands for teenage mutant ninja turtles, i grew up crazy for them!

Yes agree TMNT

I think its fantastic what you've achieved so far.

If you pick the right areas you ensure long term growth - and eventually cashflow - but if you aren't buying over 10% you won't be getting much cashfow a few years.

So you need something else for cashflow - i.e. a job (but who wants to slave all day) or a business you build (again working hard until you create passive income from that - which is not many businesses so you have to be skilled at it!)

I think the flipping/developing idea is a great one - and in fact I am starting to develop very soon and will use another persons money to flip a few houses so I have no risk (I find the house undervalued, he pays for house in cash, I renovate [just project managing - but I will paint!] and then after we sell I get half the profits - $50k profit per project, potentially one every 3 months until I can do more than one on the fly...)

So I think you should continue buying but also flipping for cashflow and eventually developing.

My plan is to buy cheap old positive cashflow houses with development potential so that when prices rise a lot I don't have to buy other houses to make more money but instead subdivide/develop.

Are you from Syd by any chance?
James

Long time lurker, first time poster,

I thank everyone's posts, it has been a pleasure since Day 1.

I was wondering if people could point me in the right direction for my situation, dreams and goals,

I turned 30 in Jan 2011 and purchased my first IP as a birthday present to myself and to get me in property investment,

Fast forward 18 months, I currently have 16 IPs @ average value of $147kish, net portfolio value 2.3m, (based on purchase price) LVR 80% with approx 5% in offset, I believe I have purchased under market value each time, between 5% and 20% off market value, so current value may be up to 10% higher then purchase prices. Current yield 7.8% before any costs, after management costs, rates, insurance, Landlords insurance, its about break even which im pretty happy about,

Im finding that residential property might not be suitable for me long term and by purchasing at the rate im going at, I feel my risk profile will become too high,

My ultimate goals is to become a hot shot and even large scale developer or even renovator, where I work full time doing one or all of the above. Eventually, I would like to either get into a joint venture for a far larger project(s) or keep on doing the same thing but still on a less sized scale but a joint venture where I do less of the physical work and more of the management with less risk due to the joint venture. At present I feel the current options for me are:

a) renovate existing properties in between tenants, increase equity, increase rent, and refinance, assume each project takes 3 weeks, thats 10 per year

b) as above but with buying properties

c) Buy blocks of land with existing houses and subdivide in to 2-3 units, hopefully this will lead to 5 unit sites, and eventually maybe entire villages

In order to achieve my goals, should I do a combination of all of the above? or do one of them or any of them? Am I on the right track?

16 ip's in that short time frame in a stand alone set-up,is doing quite well in anyone terms,and there is nothing wrong with being a single Father ..
With the renos for a hope of making 25k after tax you would have to ask the question is it worth the time,worry stress,there is more money in splits on high end properties above 500k in land value..imho..

do explain!
Your local area would be no different too the area i live in,within a 5 klm's radius there would be hundreds of large blocks all within different zones-building codes,various levels,and several titles holders would not know what they hold the title over,and the less they know then then it's very easy to know who it's going to it get done..

Back