Which car

All modern cars these days are reliable

Hmmm... so the brand new BMW320i I was driving last year that died in traffic with a temperature overheat warning on a 5 degree Melbourne Winter morning was a "build feature"? :confused:

Cheers,

The Y-man

Check out the NRMA crash tests.
Some of those small vehicles are very dangerous (even with airbags)

The other interesting thing is that most small cars tested under Euro NCAP (as sold in Europe) are loaded to the brim with front, side thorax, side head, and roof bags. They strip out all these in the Australian market (except for the driver/front passenger).

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hmmm... so the brand new BMW320i I was driving last year that died in traffic with a temperature overheat warning on a 5 degree Melbourne Winter morning was a "build feature"? :confused:
I have a BIL who is a property developer (sorry!).

He had a $450K [insert very expensive Italian brand name] worth $450K.

It broke down 3 times in the first 6 weeks he had it.

And, if you break down in one of those in country Victoria, you can't just take it to your local servo. You have to wait until the truck arrives from Melbourne- to pick up the vehicle which does not work, and to replace it with another.

Of course, a lot of the gloss from such an expensive new car was lost.

Yeah, it comes with the price tag...:D

Common Yman, there are the odd failures but in general all modern vehicles are reliable. I am actually surpriced to hear about the new BMW breaking down because German engineering and quality controls are very good.

Cheers

Last edited:
It is fine...it can be bit slow if you suddenly take a hill....but it is extremely reliable.

I drive my car mostly on the weekend, I do about 200klms a week. My weekly fuel on average is about $15.00 pw.

Depending on your locations insurance for 40+ plus male is less than $600, rego/CTP another $600, services about $250, NRMA membership $80. So all up it is costing you about $2500 per year....add depreciation (about $30pw) or $1500 per annum....you costs are $4000 per annum

If you want to minimise depreciation....get 2 year old Getz. Hard to get as these cars are sought after....particularly the auto models.

Cheers
Sash

Learningman's after an auto.... I heard Hyundai auto's left a bit to be desired?

Cheers,

The Y-man

Learning Man. I know a few dealers. No one dealer just gets my business.So I haggle,& haggle. But never go into the office to talk crap. All I want Is THE LEAST CHANGEOVER $$. No tint, towbar, scotchguard, mats etc, Phone or fax ya best Change over price. For the last few yrs usual change over between 5k and 7k. Minus $3k rebate from holden card. So Nett out of pocket between $2k in a good year and 4k.Back into a new car:)

But my calcs reckon even at $6k Nett still doing well.

Plus some $ come back for property developing and investing inspections after this amount through tax:D

Gee Cee

So LM, did you decide on a car yet?

I am now in this position also needing a new car, trying to buy something with cash to reduce my debts!

You can get an LPG dedicated falcon- no need to convert one.

Lots of good cars out there mentioned in the thread.

Given the criteria I like the Nissan Pulsar- quality, small but not too small and they should be cheap as they were well priced when new- compared to other makes.

I think they had a 1.8l donk- should work well with the auto too.

As an aside- has anyone noticed how the word "bespoke" (meaning handmade) is used so often in car reviews (and not just on "TopGear")

My choice is ( drum roll please ) ....

Toyota Corolla !

You wont regret it.
I drive nothing but toyotas... in fact im currently driving a 1987 Corolla Twincam hatch, which cost me $1000. Has been the most reliable of all my toyotas to date. I've only put on new tyres, done a wheel alignment, and changed the oil. Granted it has a rebuilt engine.... but still for a car with 425,000kms its absolutely fantastic.

The ~2000 models (ZZE122) with the 1ZZ-FE VVTi engines are really good too. That engine is really gutsy for a 1.8, and very very economical. YOu cant really go wrong with them.
They even take to being turbocharged quite happily... but im sure thats not really your cup of tea, but does go to show how strong the engines are.

Toyota reliability and over-engineering is 2nd to none.

eh i would have went with a honda :)
they pioneered and still make the best vari. valve timing and electronic lift motors (v-tec, vvti, ztec what ever else ppl call it)

If only you were on the Gold Coast we could have helped each other out - we are selling a very good Hyundai Elantra for under $10k.

Oh well....Carsales & Trading Post here we come......

Cheers
Stella

You wont regret it.
I drive nothing but toyotas... in fact im currently driving a 1987 Corolla Twincam hatch, which cost me $1000. Has been the most reliable of all my toyotas to date. I've only put on new tyres, done a wheel alignment, and changed the oil. Granted it has a rebuilt engine.... but still for a car with 425,000kms its absolutely fantastic.

The ~2000 models (ZZE122) with the 1ZZ-FE VVTi engines are really good too. That engine is really gutsy for a 1.8, and very very economical. YOu cant really go wrong with them.
They even take to being turbocharged quite happily... but im sure thats not really your cup of tea, but does go to show how strong the engines are.

Toyota reliability and over-engineering is 2nd to none.

I agree! I am driving a 99 Camry which has now done over 230,000k and have no issues at all. Only major items changed were the timing belt and spark plugs.

Back