Which city will you buy in -2007?

which capital city will you buy in 2007 (and which city are you from)?

• sydney (from sydney)

Votes: 14 10.3%
  • sydney (from interstate)

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • brisbane (from brisbane)

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • brisbane (from interstate)

Votes: 13 9.6%
  • melbourne (from melbourne)

Votes: 29 21.3%
  • melbourne (from interstate)

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • perth (from perth)

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • perth (from interstate)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • hobart (from hobart)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hobart (from interstate)

• darwin (from darwin)

• darwin (from interstate)

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • adelaide (from adelaide)

Votes: 11 8.1%
  • adelaide (from interstate)

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • ACT (from ACT)

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • ACT (from interstate)

• NSW Regional

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • VIC regional

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • QLD Regional

Votes: 9 6.6%
  • Other regional

Votes: 3 2.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Where do you think the next boom will be?

Do you think the perth boom will continue in 2007?

Interesting times...

Yep, Perth will ride a while longer...slower...but will endure more because of those resources that developing China needs.

And I'm a Country Bunkum mate; sorry I will be buying out regional if any though there is reasons for that now...I could buy in the Cities later on perhaps.

I wouldn't count on anything firing up in terms of a next property boom for at least the next 2-3-4 years. It's too quick since the last one yet.

Though I do believe in small booms in different areas or 'pockets' any time and could be anywhere. Overall Australia no it's going to take it easy for a couple of years yet!

In terms of Perth or indeed the whole of W.A I don't see them still in the 'boom' that Australia had in recent years I think they have rode the underlying Australian Property Boom the way everywhere else has rode it.

It's just that another developing country (China and it's huge) is creating the momentum and you don't go against momentum and the opportunity to provide for that Country's needs for resources that makes that momentum.

And with mining and the remoteness of the work and skill sets of the laborers and higher pay checks comes more money everywhere in that side of Australia in that economy hence they can also afford higher priced houses but also it is that demand.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

I've added ACT and a few regionals as options.

Cheers Geoff....coming from WA, I love it when we get lumped in with "Others".

However, if anyone does tick that box "Other regionals", it may be a tad difficult to decipher what info one can extract from it.

Investing in Karratha WA vs Launceston in Tassie vs Quorn in SA vs Katherine in the NT.....all extremely different beasts indeed affected by differing market forces.....

Seeing as though they all lumped into the one "Other" category, I wish people luck trying to extract any meaning insight from the "Other" box.

Sorry for the whinge....I'm sure the NSW / Vic / Qld brigade will understand.

I think trying to pick the next boom area is too difficult for me to even attempt. Tis more like where won't it be...now that's an easier question. My preference is to know my own back yard better, and seek out the bargains where there is room to value add.

a bolthole in sydney then a bit of dirt in brisbane. if i can manage both in 2007, that will be a cracking year for me, if not, i'll be happy if it takes me til end 2008...

not looking for a boom, just long term growth in areas that i would actually like to live in. if in 20 years time i have a handful of properties in places that i like, and can shuffle myself between them or go on 'holidays' between tennants, that would be cool... even cooler if a few of those were overseas in nice little spots... *cue dream sequence music*

My picks

Melbourne and Brisbane about equal. Should perform with inflation, maybe more if you buy well.

Sydney, inner and prestige market will probably do ok if you buy well. I'm pretty bearish on Western Sydney though.

Don't know enough about the other cities to comment. But WA can't keep going at the current rate in my opinion.. All good things come to an end and you should invest in the cities that people aren't interested in at the moment

Grimey

WA can't keep going at the current rate in my opinion.. All good things come to an end

Never a truer word spoken.....but then....

How does Perth compare to other states' predictions of growth if, for example, it backs off from it's ridiculous 46% over the past 12 months to a rather more pedestrian 20% in '07, and then tapers off further to a piddling 10% in '08 as we gently digest the higher values being obtained, and the ratio of high mining wages and Perth property prices comes to an equilibrium.

It (CG) may very well be nothing like we've seen in the past 2 or 3 years, but that's not to say the increases won't be higher than other states coming out / going into the doldrums ??

Who knows....I might sell up everything and "go-get-me-myself"....learnt that dandy saying off the Yanks....a great big bag of lollies to sit down the beach and scoff at my leisure.

I agree with Sailor - will stick to my own back yard. Looking to buy one in Brisbane's beautiful bayside and hopefully another closer to the city.

Cheers
LynnH

Never a truer word spoken.....but then....

How does Perth compare to other states' predictions of growth if, for example, it backs off from it's ridiculous 46% over the past 12 months to a rather more pedestrian 20% in '07, and then tapers off further to a piddling 10% in '08 as we gently digest the higher values being obtained, and the ratio of high mining wages and Perth property prices comes to an equilibrium.

It (CG) may very well be nothing like we've seen in the past 2 or 3 years, but that's not to say the increases won't be higher than other states coming out / going into the doldrums ??

Gee Dazzling, can I use the same bit for CQ .

We are real keen to get back into the Brisbane market again, but the "Bang for Buck" in CQ on the deals were doing seem far better than Bris at the moment.

Not as good as WA, but plenty better than other areas.

Boat Boy

bingo

I agree with Sailor - will stick to my own back yard. Looking to buy one in Brisbane's beautiful bayside and hopefully another closer to the city.

Cheers
LynnH

Southern bayside. Yep. In the process now!

Northern Bayside. In the pipeline inside my head.. will be out soon ;)

Cheers
a/c

hi all
interesting question.
which city ?
juye china and it will see me out of 2007 as well.
arncliffe is the last for me here for a while I think all but the shouting is done.
I have one more soup and have asked for a 12 month delayed settlement and with a option but its 50/50 at this stage.
jaffasoft should have a good Idea of reginal as he has circumnavigated the top end from melb to perth to bundaburg ( last time I spoke to him).
I have the coin in the air at the moment and semi retirement looks on the cards, which means back to the finance, short term cash markets.
but thats a different post.
my .002

Yep done a lap though I'm no professional you do get a feel right the way round most of Australia of that slowing down and slumpish mentality with the agents and for sale signs seem to be up longer. In W.A. you can sense the upbeat and talk over radios and stuff plus the prices in RE windows that it going along ok particularly good for the industries.

In terms of "Now" I found Roxby Downs to be a very vibrant town in a boom. And this is what I think is a 'Pocket'. I know the town has picked up most in recent years but it's still going along pretty well.

It's simple.
The mine is going open cut and it will be the fourth largest in the world.
It's an oasis and an easy to understand town in terms of the Real Estate. Everything there seems new, the whole town seems like it has been built at the same time about 30 years ago (at least most the houses) nearly all of them the similar color and designs all different but similar. Most of them ranged from 340-370k. It's not to far a drive from Port Augusta and into outback desert. And the town needs to double in ten years to accommodate the growing mine and workers etc. The rent is sky high 280-320 a week in a caravan park and you can not get accommodation currently they turning away 20 people a week, that's a lot for somewhere out the middle of the desert. Nill vacantcy! Wages are pretty high in that town and they are a pretty young bright switched on community and they gunna do some spending. Since it will be the fourth largest mine and quiet a nice town to visit it will have a great Tourist attraction already has but I think it will be the next 'Broken Hill' and will eventually be more known in Australia. Good for a developer. That's my take on it anyway.

Redwing must have inside information from the Government when they're going to double the FHOG and kick start the next boom! Plus an additional 10k grant for retirees to go up Queensland for new building development approvals.

Back