Which expanding foam for thermal insulation?

I want to inject foam to brick-veneer cavity to give copper hot water pipe some thermal insulation.

I wander if somebody knows the answer or could point me in the right direction to get one.
There are a number of products with expanding foam.

I heard that some foams tend to disintegrate and disappear after a while.
If true, which foams I should avoid and which one should I use?

Hmmm, a vexed question.
Do you have access to the cavity ( ie.. gyprock interior wall not yet fitted?)
If yes, then I would lag the pipes or insulate them with something purpose built for the job. While you are there, you might as well insulate the cavity as well to improve the thermal performance of the wall.
Otherwise, if the wall is already enclosed, then you can use a number of expansion foam products, from one that comes in a can to others that are 2 part mixed before pouring into the cavity. Not as effective as insulating the pipe/s directly and individually but better than nothing I guess.
kp

Wall is already enclosed and appears that at least at the entry point pipe is quite low, close to floor level.

So I thought to drill small hole and inject foam, but would not like to use foam that is going to oxidise and turn to dust after a while.

Are there any foams that after hardened last “forever”?

You should be careful with this one George, if you put too much in you can distort the wall.It expands in all directions, it doesn't flow in the path of least resistance, like water.
You might be better to consider something like that insulfluff stuff which is made from shredded and pulverised newsprint

Tom

You should be careful with this one George, if you put too much in you can distort the wall.It expands in all directions, it doesn't flow in the path of least resistance, like water.
You might be better to consider something like that insulfluff stuff which is made from shredded and pulverised newsprint

Tom

Agree - had a timber door frame warp (to the point where door would not close) when I tried to do a dodgey gap fill.......

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks for the warning.

Pity I cannot go this way as to blow in fluffy stuff hole will have to be bit bigger and I will not be able to do it myself as I never heard of "Do it yourself" fluffy stuff application.

Got any pics y-man? That would be a funny diy disaster! I'm imagining a buldged & warped wall with foam bulging out of all the sides :D

Back