Which Melbourne suburbs?

I live in NSW and wish to buy 3 IP's in next 3-6 months - Melbourne, Brisbane and maybe a unit in Sydney if funds left over. Have $2m to invest ($1m plus 50% LVR). Have 11 properties in NSW of which 3 are in Sydney. I don't know Melbourne very well and due to not living there my research time is limited. Looking for a 2-3 bedroom house (not strata, I like terraces) within 5-10Km from CBD in price range $700,000 - $900,000. I wish to narrow my search area and realise I will purchase without the same detailed knowledge I have in NSW/Sydney. I invest for Capital Growth but usually find rents OK with such properties. Looking for something similar to Sydney's Inner West (I have properties in Newtown, Glebe & Alexandria) or Balmain/Lillyfield or East such as bondi/ coogee though that area is more expensive. I could use a BA but enjoy searching my own properties and had not so good experience with one recently.
Appreciate any advice on suburbs or specific areas/streets. Also Estate agent you may recommend.
Thanking you.
Harry

Last edited:
I live in NSW and wish to buy 3 IP's in next 3-6 months - Melbourne, Brisbane and maybe a unit in Sydney if funds left over. Have $2m to invest ($1m plus 50% LVR). Have 11 properties in NSW of which 3 are in Sydney. I don't know Melbourne very well and due to not living there my research time is limited. Looking for a 2-3 bedroom house (not strata, I like terraces) within 5-10Km from CBD in price range $700,000 - $900,000. I wish to narrow my search area and realise I will purchase without the same detailed knowledge I have in NSW/Sydney. I invest for Capital Growth but usually find rents OK with such properties. Looking for something similar to Sydney's Inner West (I have properties in Newtown, Glebe & Alexandria) or Balmain/Lillyfield or East such as bondi/ coogee though that area is more expensive. I could use a BA but enjoy searching my own properties and had not so good experience with one recently.
Appreciate any advice on suburbs or specific areas/streets. Also Estate agent you may recommend.
Thanking you.
Harry

go inner west melb, Footscray and surrounds, get a character house

Thanking you.
Harry

$700-900k is a good range.

With inner North, you can consider:
Brunswick, Brunswick East

With inner west, you can consider:
Yarraville, Newport, Seddon, Footscray, West Footscray
Period (Victorian / Edwardian) 2-3 bedrooms is around 600K-800K (downside with period homes are limited land size)
Melbourne Inner West has been growing quite considerably. A few infrastructure projects in the pipeline. Possible capital growth potential.

Sounds like you are doing very well already and I don't mean be second guessing your investment strategy - but hopefully, you are not overly exposed in the property market? (i.e. invest in other investment classes?)
Best of luck.

In one word....kensington!!!

I agree. Kensington is a great suburb. It's in the inner west around 5 km from the CBD. Used to be quite a dump around 12-15 years ago (light industrial and stock yards), now becoming quite a yuppie/trendy area with a great dining and coffee culture. There are a lot of young professional couples in the area (close to work in the CBD). The median price is currently around 693K (according REIV data: http://data1.reiv.com.au/trendchart/default.aspx).

If Harry chooses to look at Kensington, I would recommend Kensington banks (the area that is around Kensington or South Kensington station away from the flemington side). There are a couple of commission housing flats in Flemington side of the racecourse road.

The downside of Kensington is the limited land content (and hence the future extention opportunities). The suburb is predominately semi-detached townhouses and period homes (Victorian and Edwardian), so land is at a premium. Kensington is high in demand (rent and buy) with a limited supply. Anything listed will go very quickly - it will be difficult to find a bargain with such fierced competition.

Last edited:
I just looked at the two at Ascot Vale and, for a Queenslander looking at Melbourne property, I would have thought the first house was so much better, more character, beautifully presented, as opposed to the second one, which left me a bit cold.

They are similarly priced, so is the second one (plain jane) in a better position?

What do you think the difference is?

I'm curious.

I just looked at the two at Ascot Vale and, for a Queenslander looking at Melbourne property, I would have thought the first house was so much better, more character, beautifully presented, as opposed to the second one, which left me a bit cold.

They are similarly priced, so is the second one (plain jane) in a better position?

What do you think the difference is?

I'm curious.

Hi Wylie,

I would have agreed with you, if we were only looking at the interior photos. However, if you go to Google Maps and have a look at the surroundings, you will notice the first property is only one property away from a busy street (Mt. Alexander) with trams operating past midnight. It appears to be located in between light industrial shops (i.e. right opposite a motor mechanic). The property has also been subdivided and semi-detached, so the land is slightly smaller and we cannot be sure if it is a strata title without the sec 32 (the Victorian Vendor Statement which usually comes with the Contract of Sale).

Cheers,
Kenny

Last edited:
I agree. Kensington is a great suburb. It's in the inner west around 5 km from the CBD. Used to be quite a dump around 12-15 years ago (light industrial and stock yards), now becoming quite a yuppie/trendy area with a great dining and coffee culture. There are a lot of young professional couples in the area (close to work in the CBD). The median price is currently around 693K (according REIV data: http://data1.reiv.com.au/trendchart/default.aspx).

If Harry chooses to look at Kensington, I would recommend Kensington banks (the area that is around Kensington or South Kensington station away from the flemington side). There are a couple of commission housing flats in Flemington side of the racecourse road.

The downside of Kensington is the limited land content (and hence the future extention opportunities). The suburb is predominately semi-detached townhouses and period homes (Victorian and Edwardian), so land is at a premium. Kensington is high in demand (rent and buy) with a limited supply. Anything listed will go very quickly - it will be difficult to find a bargain with such fierced competition.

I would be careful about buying in Kensington Banks. I currently live there are the construction of some of the properties is terrible, including the place I live in (happy that I dont own it).

I thought it would be a safe, quiet place to live in but I have been here for 6 months and in that time I have had my house broken into, and a neighbour has had his tyres slashed. I lived in Richmond for the previous 6 years and have never had any problems.

Thanks everyone for feedback. I will visit Melbourne shortly with further visits as required over next couple of months and need to narrow to 2 to 3 search areas. I would have purchased in 2009 but spent that time (maybe too much) acquiring two Sydney properties. It then took 4 months to get current finance approval due to no employment income as I am in between businesses/jobs. However I have sufficient capital to cover any extra costs above rentals. I am probably over exposed with property in my portfolio and always have been. However two of my properties are commercial and I have a small share portfolio.

So I'll check out Ascot Vale, Kensington & Brunswick areas.

Does anyone have any further thoughts on the three areas below which have had some positive comments on this forum:-
*Carlton/Fitzroy
*Prahran/South Yarra/Richmond (Thanks Giddyup)
*Ormond/McKinnon/Bentleigh (I suspect more expensive however could stretch my budget to around $1M)

Harry

I would be careful about buying in Kensington Banks. I currently live there are the construction of some of the properties is terrible, including the place I live in (happy that I dont own it).

I thought it would be a safe, quiet place to live in but I have been here for 6 months and in that time I have had my house broken into, and a neighbour has had his tyres slashed. I lived in Richmond for the previous 6 years and have never had any problems.

Oh wow. I'm sorry to hear that.
I have a 3 bedroom townhouse in Kensington closer to the Flemington/Newmarket side (bought in 2005). I haven't had the same hassle (except for noise/ loud parties - which is difficult to avoid when you are living on top of each other)

I have to agree with you, that some of the properties use very cheap grade materials (ikea/bunnings galore), rendered besser bricks, wafer thin walls. They were put up very quickly and cheaply and hence potential maintenance issues down the track. It will be difficult to determine the quality (photos can be very deceiving). Site unseen is probably not recommended.

With Richmond, it depends on which part of Richmond. I used to work in Richmond and we used to find needles big enough to tranqualise an elephant at the front door.

Last edited:
............. *Ormond/McKinnon/Bentleigh (I suspect more expensive however could stretch my budget to around $1M)

Harry

In those areas you will be buying a higher land content and as your opening post indicates your interest in cap growth, you will do well to buy > 600 square metres, and should have good value add later to subdivide into (infill) new townhouse sites.

Now to yield. For around 1 Mill in those areas you will get older (land rich) properties that might give you circa 2.5 % gross return.

You are banking on cap growth and the ability to add value to the land later. You will need deep pockets to hold these. You will get better yields in the 5 km rim, however (potentially) no ability to subdivide as the terrace or semi detached properties are already on small blocks.

If you are so inclined, give a PM and I may have something for you in a better location to Ormond/Bentleigh on 700 sq m with tenant in situ in a tree lined avenue with precedent for new townies and luxury homes all around. It is the premier street in that precinct.

Again, you will need deep pockets to hold such property as you are paying for land with an old box for some holding rent for now.

Thanks everyone for feedback. I will visit Melbourne shortly with further visits as required over next couple of months and need to narrow to 2 to 3 search areas. I would have purchased in 2009 but spent that time (maybe too much) acquiring two Sydney properties. It then took 4 months to get current finance approval due to no employment income as I am in between businesses/jobs. However I have sufficient capital to cover any extra costs above rentals. I am probably over exposed with property in my portfolio and always have been. However two of my properties are commercial and I have a small share portfolio.

So I'll check out Ascot Vale, Kensington & Brunswick areas.

Does anyone have any further thoughts on the three areas below which have had some positive comments on this forum:-
*Carlton/Fitzroy
*Prahran/South Yarra/Richmond (Thanks Giddyup)
*Ormond/McKinnon/Bentleigh (I suspect more expensive however could stretch my budget to around $1M)

Harry

Hi Harry,
I've only started investing in properties in 2005, so my experience is still at the infant stage. I don't know too much about your personal circumstance and investment strategy, so please take my comments with a grain of salt.

You may want to have look at the suburb profiles before you get down to Melbourne:
http://www.rs.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=sp
http://myhome.myrp.com.au/showProductDetail.do?reportTypeId=1&propertyId=

As you know, early (before march) 2009 would have been a better time to purchase in Melbourne. Melbourne property median prices has gone up by 18.7% in the last 12 months. (according to RPData: http://www.rpdata.net.au/) It would be highly improbable that this growth will continue, so you need to consider why Melbourne now. (Having said that being a long term investor, I am also looking at investment properties in Melbourne).

Being overly exposed to one investment class is not really an issue as long as you are aware of the ramifications and manage it accordingly. (one major issue being the lack of risk diversification, as you are subjected only one industry, and vulnerable to industry specific influencers/factors.) But you were not asking for financial advice, so I will let you think that over yourself :p

Keeping in mind your criteria:
1, $700-900K
2, High capital growth
3, House (not strata)
4, with 5-10km of CBD
5, Limit to 2-3 suburbs

*Carlton/Fitzroy
Great areas, well developed, good infrastructure/amenities/transport, close to city. There is lygon street in Carlton which is THE PLACE to go for Italian food. Trendy. Fine dining and coffee culture. Carlton is very close to the University of Melbourne - always demand for rental. Fitzroy is a bit quirky/alternative with some fantastic period homes. However, they come with a price tag - may be difficult with the current budget. I suspect Brunswick will have a better growth potential. However, Brunswick is a bit more towards the alternative/arty/hippie side (no offence).

*Prahran/South Yarra
Probably as trendy as you will get in Melbourne. (but probably not as good as it used to be). You have Chapel street - posh/classy shopping, fine dining, coffee. Close to pretty much everything you would want in terms of entertainment (food, cinema, shopping). Properties are very high in demand. Quite a built up/dense area. Again houses are going to be expensive.

*Richmond
I have separated it from Prahran and South Yarra, because they display different characteristics. There are different pockets of Richmond. Being so close to the city, apartments are building up. There's lots of development going on. There's bridge road for the weekend budget shopping. Victoria Garden shopping centre (home of the only IKEA in Melbourne). There's also pockets of different ethnic background displaying cultural diversity and fantastic exotic food along Victoria St (mainly vietnamese). But be careful with some seedy pockets of Richmond.

They are a bit further away from the city. Well established residential area - family oriented. Relatively close to the beach. Growth rippled from brighton. If you are interested in this type of area, you can consider Murrumbeena as well.

I don't really have anything bad to say about these areas as they are all good residential locations. I would be happy to live in any of these suburbs. However, in terms of investment, you will need to consider capital growth and how much you can afford. These areas are quite established and high in demand - not quite the "ugly ducklings" I tend to look for (e.g. Brunswick and Yarraville).

Best of luck
Kenny

Thanks for your thoughts Kenny & Player. I am beginning to formulate a profile of these areas and will narrow list down to inspect a few on site. Will let you know how I go.
Any further information still appreciated.
Harry

I wonder how many people have been mugged, houses broken into or had vandalism in Richmond?

Sorry to hear your house was broken into, but there wouldnt be a single suburb in the whole of Australia that hasnt suffered a burglary in the last 6 months so not sure what your point is.......?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Harry,

I'm only after capital gains too (rental is a bonus).

If I had your $$$'s, I'd definately go Hawthorn, Hawthorn East , Kew, Camberwell, Canterbury (if you need info on specific sts let me know as I work in the area on the road), all very posh. Great public transport, restaurants, pubs, shops, best private schools in Vic, parks, & the Yarra.

Also St Kilda, St Kilda East, Elwood (beachy, trendy, serviced by great public transport). Toorak & South Yarra:, boutique suburbs.

Also Malvern, Armadale, Caulfield, Glen Iris, don't know if Brighton is too far out?

Bentleigh is always in demand b/c great public high school.

Keep us updated where you end up going :)

Regards,
M&M

Hi Harry,

If I had your $$$'s, I'd definately go Hawthorn, Hawthorn East , Kew, Camberwell, Canterbury (if you need info on specific sts let me know as I work in the area on the road), all very posh. Great public transport, restaurants, pubs, shops, best private schools in Vic, parks, & the Yarra.

Also St Kilda, St Kilda East, Elwood (beachy, trendy, serviced by great public transport). Toorak & South Yarra:, boutique suburbs.

Also Malvern, Armadale, Caulfield, Glen Iris, don't know if Brighton is too far out?

Regards,
M&M

You won't get a house between 700-900k in most of those suburbs. Would be looking at West given the budget and proximity preference (5-10km's of city).

I wonder how many people have been mugged, houses broken into or had vandalism in Richmond?

Sorry to hear your house was broken into, but there wouldnt be a single suburb in the whole of Australia that hasnt suffered a burglary in the last 6 months so not sure what your point is.......?

Some suburbs are a heck of a lot worse than others though. I remeber when I lived in Clayton probably 50% of the houses in the street was broken into over the space of a couple of years. Would be getting the crime stats for the suburb (Racv).

Hi Harry,

Regards,
M&M

(Mary & Mat) Brief street details for these suburbs would be appreciated. I will spend couple of days in Melbourne next weekend. My budget could extend to dearer suburbs if I spend less in Brisbane/Sydney. I presently have an open mind and will narrow my search area after this visit.

However taking into account my budget & proximity to CBD I'll look closely at Kensington, Carlton, Fitzroy, Richmond, Prahran & St Kilda next week. Street info for Prahran, St Kilda, Carlton & fitzroy would also be much appreciated.

Why is St Kilda (near water & CBD) cheaper than surrounding suburbs?

What is public transport like for St Kilda & Ormond/McKinnon?

Regards,
Harry

Last edited:
Back