Which shares to buy now?

In my eternal quest to understand life, the universe, and everything about the economy, I found the chart below of US debt, gdp, and foreign ownership very interesting.....would like to see one on Australia.

There must be a bob in teaching Joe Public about the economy.
The sub prime thing and the credit crisis must have everyone clamouring to avoid same in the future.

click on image to get full size...

Last edited:
Anyone have any predictions i keep a tally of newspapers on the way the market has gone for the past 6 months and very few that write in those high end papers have got it right,if you study the way most bear market span out over time they go up and down very quickly,i still think it
will drop off again just as fast,anyone buying ?..willairimho.

Last edited:
In my eternal quest to understand life, the universe, and everything about the economy, I found the chart below of US debt, gdp, and foreign ownership very interesting.....would like to see one on Australia.

Very interesting.

Would like to see same graph versus dow jones, versus median house price (by suburb!).

Anyone have any predictions i keep a tally of newspapers on the way the market has gone for the past 6 months and very few that write in those high end papers have got it right,if you study the way most bear market span out over time they go up and down very quickly,i still think it
will drop off again just as fast,anyone buying ?..willairimho.

I have said time and time again, that in the short term the market is a voting machine. With numberous issues in play its impossible to forecast the market in the short term.

Given the number of commentators out there with difference views, its a mathematical certainty that a proportion of those commentators will be correct on any single comment. Unfortunately this does not translate into consistent correctness of views, but rather like tossing a perpetually tossing a coin, a gambled view will always be correct a proportion of the time.

I still cant understand the infactuation of members of this board trying to 'judge' the quality of short term outlooks by commentators.

I posted the article about Warren Buffet in another topic. If he says he has no view about the short term direction of the market, what hope has any of us got.

So i am sticking to what i have been doing all year, selectively buying stocks, and using this period of market weakness to snap up stocks that are fundamentally under the long term (5yrs+) intrinsic value.

So i am sticking to what i have been doing all year, selectively buying stocks, and using this period of market weakness to snap up stocks that are fundamentally under the long term (5yrs+) intrinsic value.

No problem,i'm still buying xxselling just asking the question i don't know any Big Warrens in the real world,that's why i'm come here..
This is a good quote by John Burr William's,the value of any investment
is the discounted present value of it future cash flow..willair..

Guys, remember to buy put options to protect your position, there will be a big one wave coming, and wipe out all of ups, and taking everything from the one that is naked.

Guys, remember to buy put options to protect your position, there will be a big one wave coming, and wipe out all of ups, and taking everything from the one that is naked.
While I don't believe you have a crystal ball, you could be right nonetheless. I'm so far down I'd love to buy on this up-turn, but it still looks iffy!

While I don't believe you have a crystal ball, you could be right nonetheless. I'm so far down I'd love to buy on this up-turn, but it still looks iffy!
Sunfish still looking good in the small end of the market,but that's the traps in bear markets no one ever knows when the bottom is found till it's too late,and that's a long way off..imho..willair..

Last edited:
Well I sold my NAB shares today for $25.80 that i bought over the past few weeks, tidy profit that i'll leave in my trading account for when the market has a fit (again) over the next few weeks.

We are all being put through the grinder at the moment.
I bought a few GPT just a couple of days before their trading halt.:mad:
Noticed today that CBA and Macquarie choose to update with their substational notices. Both down significantly.....
mmmm.... CBA is probably their banker, and i know Macquarie is handling the capital raising.

So much for Chinese walls between their funds management and banking/advisory departments.

They may make a statement to that effect but most of OPEC spend everything they earn immediately so they can't afford a cut in price and production so they'll cheat. The Saudis will continue pumping I think because without their US mates the House of Saud would be overthrown or the country over-run. (Whatever :))

Back