Which Sydney suburbs are the best for investmant ?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by ALEX2000, 29th Mar, 2012.

1. ALEX2000

ALEX2000 Member

I wanna buy 2 bedroom unit around 300k$ for investment in sydney.which suburbs do you recommend?please advise me

2. julie

julie Member

buy land

There's a fibro house on 600m2 land near me at Holsworthy you could buy for $360 k . It's a three bedroomed house and you could put a granny flat in the back yard later on. I'd buy land over a unit. Anyway you won't get a two bedroom flat in sydney for 300k anywhere within cooee of city. They have them around the Liverpool area but it really is not very nice. My only suggestion is Campbelltown area. Good luck.

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Real Estate Buyers Agent

Media:
    NSW Central Coast, Sydney, Newcastle and Lower Hunter
    It does not work like that here on the SS forum, Alex. (welcome btw)

If you want free info, then do some of your own research, and come back and post "I've discovered x, y & z suburb units for under $300K, anybody have any thoughts on which would be better?"

This will get you some decent responses.
    But no-one is going to do all this research for you ;)

4. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Carpe domus

Media:
    True.

That's the virtually the same response I received when I joined and posted my first "where should I buy" question! :eek:

But all good now - I've learnt so much from all the generous people here.

5. Mr T

Mr T Member

You can get an 2 bedroom unit under 250k$ for investment in iverpool,sydney.
    And rent it out for $300 pw.

6. Ajax

Ajax Member

Media:
    Last edited: 4th Apr, 2012
  7. redwing

redwing Progress Not Perfection

Media:
    According to RP Data the percentage of Sydney suburbs with a median unit price of under $300,000.00 is 16.2%

source

Google is also your friend ;)

And its 4.2% here which ties in with the title of the article

Doing your homework is vital before leaping into property's bottom end

8. C-mac

C-mac Member

Sydney is indeed an expensive market, but (in my humble opinion), one of the most prosperous in terms of rent return and general vacancy.

Rentals are scarce in Sydney and this bumps up the demand (hence bumping up the rent costs with it).

I guess it really comes down to your budget and also capability to maintain the properties. With a sub-$300K property you're really looking at either houses in the outer rings (25-50km from CBD) or units in the middle-outer rings (15-50km from CBD).

I wrote an article about things to look for when purchasing units, and it's really worth a read. Some things are obvious, others not so much...

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Apr, 2012
  9. china

china Member

Media:
    Gosford

I often consider Gosford to be an outlying suburb of Sydney. The time it takes to get from gosford to sydney is similar to getting to campbelltown, penrith, etc.

In gosford, you can have a good selection of units for the 300k range with rental yields of about 5 per cent gross.

Me, I would be looking at houses close to Sydney e.g. lower north shore, inner west. I think these are better investment prospects but require a larger budget.

10. Jaz

Jaz Member

Considering Gosford myself - especially if the waterfront development takes off. Also, the nearby the beach suburbs of Wamberal, Terrigal, North Avoca. Very low vacancy rates...

11. Propertunity

Media:
  12. virgo

virgo Always-willing-to-learn

Where to buy?

Hiya

My IP in Ambarvale (near Campbelltown) standard 3 bedder is rented for 380K...:eek:nothing flash mind you but near the giant Macarthur Square...you could try South West Sydney ...don't be afraid to venture out...:)

13. Belbo

Belbo Moreover a misfit

14. Propertunity

Media:
    Maybe so. But the history of these things in NSW is that they operate for 1 yr as you say, go broke, sell 'em to the Chinese who make a go of it and it's all good :)

15. Player

Player Live Every Day

16. Belbo

Belbo Moreover a misfit

I reckon it was Prop's fault. You know - with all the "it doesn't work that way" stuff? Sounded too much like Arnie in Terminator describing 'schtabbing veppons'. :eek:

17. Belbo

Belbo Moreover a misfit

Buy the smallest place in Surry Hills you can find, apparently. I just read that a 2-storey, 1 bedroom terrace on 37m2 of land (with internal ground floor parking!) sold recently for $539,000. That's over $14,500 per m2! (The suburb average is apparently $8,500 /m2) It's here - realestate.com

18. monalisa

monalisa Member

Hi Virgo

It appears that yields are heaps better in Western Sydney compared to the South West - rents appear lower there. Do you think there is prospect of improvement in rental yeilds as western sydney becomes more expensive?

thanks
    Mona

19. virgo

virgo Always-willing-to-learn

Western Sydney

Hi Mona Lisa

I have Ips in both Western Sydney and South West Sydney myself....i think when you say west sydney it covers a wide area..??

My favourite area is around the Parramatta surrounds...rents are very strong and my IP (in Greystanes) never remain vacant...

I know there are many investors who have ventured into the Mount Druitt area and are doing well too...but for me, i have not been there myself..

End of the day, whether it is West or SW Sydney, it all depends on the deal and also whether you want a bit of diversification...

Hope that helps:)

20. monalisa

monalisa Member

Thanks Virgo :)

We like Mount Druitt - so have been focussing there. We live near Para - and love the area, but think given we are in early stages, we do not have the capital to purchase here - and even if we were to put down 5%, we will be heavily negatively geared - which I think may impact our purchasing ability going forward.

With Greystanes - I used to think there is no train station, and west bus transport (which is expensive) makes it not so appealing to tenants.

We are hoping to research the South West once we have purchased our next one.