Which way should the ceiling fan be going

In summer it should blow air downwards.
In winter it should blow air upwards.

Depends on the fan whether it is clockwise of anticlockwise ? .... and also if you're look at it from above or below :D

Little switch

Your fan should have a little switch on the body of the fan that you put to either Summer (Up)
or Winter (Down) or at least that is what is on all of my fans...

If I'm looking up at it. I think I had it on the wrong setting, cos I just flicked the switch up and it does feel a "bit" cooler.

Thanks

Before the days of ubiqutous air con, when many workplaces used fans, we generally left them in winter mode so as not to blow our paperwork all over the place.

On days like today in SE Qld, I'd go home without air con now.
The tradies across the road left before lunch today. Must have been 43+ on their site.

It would depend on the pitch of the blades...they don't heat or cool, only distribute it.
Exactly.

The blades are angled. There is a "top" and "bottom" edge of each blade. In summer, the fan blows, and in winter (or if you don't want papers blowing around ;)), you want it to "suck". :p

For blowing, you want the top edge leading. In other words, when you turn the fan on, the top edge should be meeting the air first as the blade turns.

(Prepare for egg sucking.) In winter, you want the bottom edge leading. :D

As others have said, it depends on the way the blades are set....however,

If I was installing a new fan, I would set it so the the blades ran clockwise for summer, anti for winter... if it's already installed, then however it was installed! I have 2 in my house, they go opposite directions...strangley, their numbers are opposite as well (ie. 1 is fast, 3 is slow on fan 1, but on fan 2, 1 is slow and 3 is fast. haha.

That's another question : which should be fast - low number or high number?!

suck in summer, blow in winter. Hot air rises, so you are wanting it push that hot air back down in winter and in summer i think its more about creating airflow with out directly pushing the hot air back down.

I personally think 1 should be low and 10 should be high. 1st gear in a car is the lowest, 1 on an amplifier is the lowest, i don't see why a fan should be different.

If I was installing a new fan, I would set it so the the blades ran clockwise for summer, anti for winter...
1) Um, why does it matter? and 2) Surely it's determined when they make the fan, isn't it? How could you change it yourself? :confused:
eXc said:
strangley, their numbers are opposite as well (ie. 1 is fast, 3 is slow on fan 1, but on fan 2, 1 is slow and 3 is fast. haha.
goonandtell said:
I personally think 1 should be low and 10 should be high.
I'm 100% with both of you on that front! They do vary, and this infuriates me. Surely 3 should always be fast, because it's "more". Grrrr.
suck in summer, blow in winter. Hot air rises, so you are wanting it push that hot air back down in winter and in summer i think its more about creating airflow with out directly pushing the hot air back down.
That may be your preference, but that's the opposite way to how it's intended to be used. Whichever season you're using it in, operating a fan will cause the room temperature to "homogenise", ie the air at ceiling height will pretty much be the same temperature as the air at floor level as a result of all the movement.

Yes, having the fan on blow will, for a very short time, send the hot air up at ceiling level down to lower level, but this will only last a few seconds until the temperature "evens out", and after that, the higher air flow in the area under the blades helps with cooling by evaporating moisture on your skin. :)

In whichever season you're operating, using a fan in conjunction with a reverse-cycle air-con increases its efficiency. In summer, the cooling effect created by skin evaporation reduces people's perception of the heat and means you don't need the air-con set at such a low temperature. Also, the "mixing up" of the air ensures that the cool air coming from the air-con is evenly distributed throughout the room.

In winter, having the fan on "suck" prevents any warm air (from nature, or from your heater) from just sitting up on the ceiling, and ensures it's re-circulated back to lower levels, without as much air turbulence (and thus skin cooling) as is caused by having the fans on "blow". :)

Back