Who does your maintenance etc?

Currently renting a house out in Adelaide but not living in Adelaide anymore, the R/E agent has been handling the maintenance on the property (with our approval) but tenants are a pain in the backside.

Long story short now the dishwasher has died so R/E agent has quoted $1000 to supply and install a new one - seems a bit high to me.

Who do other people use for general maintenance jobs on rental properties if you cant do it yourself? I have a feeling our R/E agent is taking us for a bit of a ride.....

I recently replaced a dishwasher in one of my IPs - got a quote from the Good Guys and they organised installation and removal of old dishwasher and did all the liaison with my PM and tenants.

Delivery, installation and removal was about $189 and I just chose the dishwasher.

$1000 is a rip off.

Get a second hand one installed. People upgrade dishwashers all the time when renovating kitchens - you should be able to pick up something cheap and decent in the local paper/trading post/ebay. Installation should be the minimum call out fee.

Cheers

Jamie

Is the dish washer in the lease agreement? If not, do not purchase a replacement and save yourself the hassle of (future) maintenance.

In the event that you have to buy one, I've seen them advertised on JB HI FI for around $300-400 with free delivery.

The tenant is paying rent for a house that has a dishwasher. The landlord cannot just decide not to fix or replace it if it breaks.

The tenant is paying rent for a house that has a dishwasher. The landlord cannot just decide not to fix or replace it if it breaks.

and that's the very reason I just leave a dishwasher space in my rentals and don't fill the space with a machine that I KNOW will give me nothing but ongoing grief

Sounds like your PM has a quote from a dishwasher tech and these guys are really pricey! You are far better off ordering and purchasing through the good guys (for example) pay for the local delivery. They can give a better price to supply and deliver and then you have to pay for installation through a plumber. In my experience depending on the brand of dishwasher you can save from $300 - $500 doing it this way :).

Back