Who is the Jan Somers of Shares?

The absolute best book I've read on trading is Van Tharp's "Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom". Ignore the title, it's a fantastic book on the psychology of investment.

If I could only get one book it would be this one. Other decent reads are William Eng,
Burton Malkiel, Peter Lynch and Jack Schwager.

andy

I bought Van Tharp's book about 2 years ago through Educated Investor in Melbourne, and it was AUS $62.95.

Hi Duncan,

"How to make money in Stocks" (William J O'Neil) is my favourite. Even if he does dismiss property in half a page.

"How to beat managed funds by 20%" (Dale Gillham) is good.

Check out the online catalogue of Port Adelaide Enfield council at http://elibrary.portenf.sa.gov.au

"How to make money in Stocks" and Daryl Guppy's Bear Trading is out from Greenacres because I have borrowed them.

I am waiting for Oct 2004 to buy O'Neil's book as edition 4 is out.

Also check out www.asx.com.au and click on Dymocks. Also some lunch time talks from the ATAA in Adelaide

Duncan,

What did you end up buying? Any early reviews?

I want to buy books that will teach me how to value stocks through fundamental analysis. Eventually would love to learn about trading and the methodologies employed there. "Trade your way to financial freedom" by Van K. Tharp seems pretty good there. :)

Having said that, I'm still not convinced I am capable of doing a better job than my funds manager, Hunter Hall. :confused:

Glebe said:
Duncan,

What did you end up buying? Any early reviews?

I want to buy books that will teach me how to value stocks through fundamental analysis. Eventually would love to learn about trading and the methodologies employed there. "Trade your way to financial freedom" by Van K. Tharp seems pretty good there. :)

Having said that, I'm still not convinced I am capable of doing a better job than my funds manager, Hunter Hall. :confused:

Hi Glebe,

I bought the Van Tharp book that you mentioned but havent read it yet. I'm hoping for a free weekend soon to get stuck into it.

Books I bought the other day (prices are from Borders):

* A Random Walk down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel ($27.95)
* Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom by Van K. Tharp ($49.95)
* Trend Trading by Daryl Guppy ($39.95)
* Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith ($11.95)
* A Wonderful Company at a fair price by Brian McNiven ($32.95)
* Family Trusts by Nick Renton ($29.95)

Yes, I went psycho.

Glebe said:
Books I bought the other day (prices are from Borders):

* A Random Walk down Wall Street by Burton G. Malkiel ($27.95)
* Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom by Van K. Tharp ($49.95)
* Trend Trading by Daryl Guppy ($39.95)
* Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith ($11.95)
* A Wonderful Company at a fair price by Brian McNiven ($32.95)
* Family Trusts by Nick Renton ($29.95)

Yes, I went psycho.

Hi Glebe

Have you done some reading?? Care to share your thoughts.

I came accross this post after doing a search on Dale Gillham (looking to learn about share trading).

Bawley

I have found an excellent resource and system. It is an American writer but an excellent text and very easy to both: translate to Oz shares, and to implement. Rated very highly on a share investor's forum similar in content to somersoft.

Stan Weinstein's Secrets For Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets.

forum:\www.incrediblecharts.com.au (follow link to forum)

I have read Guppie but found it confusing to conceptualise.

Magpie

Magpie said:
I have found an excellent resource and system. It is an American writer but an excellent text and very easy to both: translate to Oz shares, and to implement. Rated very highly on a share investor's forum similar in content to somersoft.

Stan Weinstein's Secrets For Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets.

forum:\www.incrediblecharts.com.au (follow link to forum)

I have read Guppie but found it confusing to conceptualise.

Magpie

It's already been noted in this thread and is a great read.

I've recently re read Alan Hulls " Active INvesting " and it reconfirmed my view that if you were only going to read one book, and wanted a stand alone system which is probably as viable as any other in todays market, this is the book to read. Having said that I think you'd be foolish to only read one book before you started share trading / investing :D

See Change

Thommo said:
Warren Buffett has not written a book as far as I know but his chairman's addresses to Berkshire Hathaway are enlightening.

As the most successful share trader ever there are a number of books about "The Buffett Way" but I doubt their relevance to us mere mortals.

You should also read about technical analysis but I personally am not a believer. Try Daryl Guppy's Share Trading too, it's pretty modern.

I doubt there is a good "recipe book" though and most will cover the psychology of trading, the "fear and greed" stuff of the emotions.

Good reading...... Thommo

His daughter, Mary Buffett has however, Buffetology is well worth a read.

see_change said:
It's already been noted in this thread and is a great read.

I've recently re read Alan Hulls " Active INvesting " and it reconfirmed my view that if you were only going to read one book, and wanted a stand alone system which is probably as viable as any other in todays market, this is the book to read. Having said that I think you'd be foolish to only read one book before you started share trading / investing :D

See Change

Best thing about Alan is that if you don't want to buy data and charting software you can just subscribe to his newsletter.

I think that reading a Random Walk down Wall street and Guppy and Van Tharp is that you get very different messages between Random Walk and Guppy/Van Tharp.

The basic message for "Random Walk down Wall Street" is that FA and TA are baloney (Especially TA) and you are better off buying an index fund.

Guppy especially believes that the Markets are not random and that FA is baloney as it is too subjective.

If you had bought a Buffet book then they basically say that TA is baloney and the market is not random as you can find undervalued companies.

Very confusing for a beginner. I've read Random Walk and feel that it is a book by somewone trying to defend a position rather than trying to understand Markets.

Michael

Last edited:
I admit that I'm not into shares by any means, but did take the time to read Greg Cathro's THE AUSTRALIAN SHAREMARKET EXPLAINED SIMPLY. For a beginner in this field such as myself, I found it easy to follow and very readable. Mind you, I'm sure you're not a novice anymore Dunc :)

So how are the book reviews coming along?

Back