Who pays for carpet repairs?

I received my fortnightly rental statement today, $75 was withheld for carpet repairs and no other explanation.

This is the first time I've heard about it. I received an inspection report not long ago and I'll have to check it but I'm pretty sure there wasn't anything negative about the carpet in it.

How do I know it wasn't the tenant's fault that this happened?

Shouldn't my PM at least tell me about the state of the carpet and how it happened before going ahead with the repairs?

I did sign a thing for repairs to be done without authorisation up to $200 but I thought that was for emergency repairs, like a broken toilet or hotwater service.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

it really depends on how the carpet was damaged in the first place. If the tenants did it, the tenant pays for it.

Alot of property managers will arrange for repairs and take the cost out of the monthly rent and reimburse it when the tenant pays up....perhaps this is the case. I'd be getting on to your PM and raising questions....plus, it's also good practice for the PM to send you a copy of the invoice along with your statement - at least then you know you're not being duped.

It is good practice for a PM to call the landlord about anything they want to spend money on, it's common decency and good business practice and client relations. That $200 provision for repairs isn't really for emergencies, so they were most likely authorised to spend that money (subject to the reason for the repair of course). The lease agreement that you enter into covers emergencies up to $500 (I'm assuming your in NSW here, could be different in other states).

Thanks Joanna.

They do send me an invoice for repairs when I get my statement a week later in the mail.

I'll definitely be contacting them on Monday and finding out about the carpet and ask them to talk to me first about any repairs that need doing in the future.

Jenny:)

Back