Who pays for pest control?

My tenant demanded that my property be sprayed for spiders and cockroaches recently and if I didn't do it he would take me to the tribunal.

My PM thought I would win at the tribunal but since I want him to re-sign when his lease is up on Boxing Day, I agreed since my PM said it would cost about $100 (instead it ended up costing $165!).

My question is, is the tenant reponsible for pest control or is the landlord?

Jenny:confused:

Jennyn,

As far as I know (and I'm no expert) it is the landlord's responsibility for pest control.

I am not too sure about the tenant "demanding" it on you though ?

I believe there is a general responsibility on the landlord to pay for pest control approx once a year "if necessary". Whether this is documented or not I'm not sure?

I willl see if I can find out some more but you may have some more responses by then.

PIppety :)

Jennyn,

I have assumed that the property in question is in NSW ? I have sent an enquiry to the NSW Dept of Fair Trading. As soon as I get a response I will post it here.

The QLD Residential Tenancy act does not cover Pest Control but makes some general references about the expectation of the Tenant to maintain the dwelling in the same state throughout the tenancy especially where pets are involved.

In my unprofessional (don't quote me) opinion it seems that the expectation is probably on the landlord to keep the place pest free unless the pests are being caused by the tenant (eg. from a pet or from a tenant being untidy and leaving rubbish around). To me, this would seem fair.

PIppety

Back