Who uses a dishwasher

I live in a house with one other, and 3 adult kids that visit sporadically.

I argue that it is quicker to manually clean dishes than use a dishwasher when cleaning up after 2. My partner argues against this, and besides, she likes the dishes to look clean. :confused:

I argue that she forgets to turn the noisy dishwasher on every night, and that we hence run out of crockery or cutlery often. (I tend to wash things during the day anyway, so she is in charge of turning on the dishwasher.

Would love a few views about this, as I think it is pertinent when doing renos in IPs. Dishwasher or not?

love a dishwasher

for me it is essential basic equipment, I just don't want to spend my time doing the dishes

but it needs to work for you not agin you

so have enough cutlery/china etc to fill it over a couple of days

for ip's I think it is important too - because it is important to most tenants

cheers
bawley

and to get even more domestic, I use a fraction of the dishwashing powder that the manufacturer recommends - with good results, and have recently read that the makers of laundry washing powder overstate the quantity required by 30%, so have reduced accordingly with good results :rolleyes:

bawley said:
love a dishwasher

so have enough cutlery/china etc to fill it over a couple of days

cheers
bawley

thanks for opinion Bawley. You remind me of another issue. It might be ok to leave dirty dishes in a dishwasher for a few days in cold Canberra, but I believe doing the same in the sub tropics is an open invitation for cockroach infestation.

Hi tfb,

We wanted a dishwasher for years. We now have one in our new PPOR which we used religously for a month or so. We don't use it much anymore unless we have people over or if we have a backlog. I personally prefer to do them by hand ( my wife thinks I'm crazy ) maybe I am. A waste of money in my opinion.

Regards

Jared

demoman said:
Hi tfb,

We wanted a dishwasher for years. We now have one in our new PPOR which we used religously for a month or so. We don't use it much anymore unless we have people over or if we have a backlog. I personally prefer to do them by hand ( my wife thinks I'm crazy ) maybe I am. A waste of money in my opinion.

Regards

Jared

Jared, this dishwasher thing might end up being a gender issue. My partner reckons manually doing dishes ages her hand skin quicker.....

I tell her bending down to stack and unstack a dishwasher ages your lumbar vertebral discs quicker....which opens up another can of worms for kitchen design....guys I know over 6ft don't like having to hunt around in ankle level cupboards. and personally, I'd rather have everything stacked/stored above bench height.

bawley said:
and to get even more domestic, I use a fraction of the dishwashing powder that the manufacturer recommends - with good results, and have recently read that the makers of laundry washing powder overstate the quantity required by 30%, so have reduced accordingly with good results :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up, bawley.

Now, to get powder instead of dishwashing tablets — tablets aren't quite divisible in the same way as powder... :p

Stupid tablets. "Powerball" ... there's nothing ball-like about it — it's the freakin' shape of a miniature optical astronomical observatory. Stupid gimmicks...

Back to the original point. If I lived on my own or with a partner, I would not bother with a dishwasher. It uses electricity and a stack of water, where doing them by hand, uses one or maybe two sink-loads of water, and a squirt of detergent. Besides, the dishwasher is noisy, and takes about 2 or 3 hours to wash. By hand, it may take about 10 minutes.

What we really need in houses are those industrial dishwashers, like the Hobart and Electrolux ones seen in restaurants, etc... 60 seconds, and finished! :)

Speaking as an over 6 foot male, give me dishwashers any day. Not only do they clean most of my dishes well, I can also get my sons to do the washing up that way.

And I'm happy to have them in an IP as well.

I agree re the restaurant dishwashers. stack a tray and push it through...30 seconds later, pull it out the other end....clean dishes.....I think the water is super heated though....and probably trangresses a hundred domestic safety regulations....

Quiggles, wait till your kids leave home.....

I also use a dishwasher and have them in the house IP's as i think you do get a better rent, or at the least be able to rent it quicker. But like others, i also wash up by hand if there's not much to do. Dishwasher probably gets used once a week at the most.

When i was at uni we all had only 1 set of cutlery each - 1 plate, 1 glass, 1 mug, etc. That way we had to wash our own stuff before we could use it again. It was often done the Japanese way which is to immediately rinse off with hot water and a brush, ready to use again immediately :)

He he... this is an ongoing dilemma for me. I must live in a small world!! :eek:

Sometimes I think the dishwasher is great, other times it just annoys me. No need to repeat all of the reasons, most have already been said. There is only my better half and myself in this household so the dishes will often sit in the dishwasher for a couple of days before it is switched on. By then you end up with dried-on green bits or funny smudges on the glasses and half the time I empty the dishwasher only to hand-wash half the load again before putting it away.

Then again, when we have people over for dinner I breathe a sigh of relief when we stack the dishwasher, turn it on and forget about three courses worth of dishes until the morning. That's nice.

< I feel like I am writing a very mundane post here...!! :rolleyes: >

We onlu use ours if we have people over & there are a lot of dishes. So I suppose for me it depends how much there is &, of course, it depends what there is to wash. I don't put nice glasses etc in.

Incidentally we were told that it was the steam from the dishwasher that made our old cutlery start going rusty. After that I take the cutlery out as soon as the dishwasher has finished & then shut it up again -- that's if I remember!!
cheers
bloosomoz

Get a small benchtop diskwasher.

No need to bend and hurt backs.

Smaller size is ideal for several person households.

In 1-2 bedroom places let the tenants buy these instead of installing one unless it's common to have a dishwasher amongst similar properties (depends on the area).

If 3+ bedroom places as there are more people a dishwasher is more convenient.

Common sense!

Cheers,

Aceyducey

I've moved into my first home ever this year that has a dishwasher - and I wonder why it took me so long to get one! There are two of us and it usually takes a couple of days to fill it - but it is fast (much less than an hour), quiet and does an excellent job.
I love it when cooking complex meals with many ingredients - as it is so much easier to tidy as I go - rather than have a growing mound on the bench. I also like that the process of loading or unloading is just a couple of minutes work here and there, rather than considerably more time standing at the kitchen sink. It fits in with kitchen multi-tasking better.
And I don't feel like my mother - whom I have just worked out must have spent over three years of daylight hours of her life staring out the kitchen window with her hands in the sink yet again. My life is too precious for that! :)

I don't know why people are saying that leaving dishes in the dishwasher for several days will attract cockroaches? Our dishwasher has a rinse mode which will do a quick 5 minute rinse to get all the gunk off so that you can leave the plates in there for a decent amount of time. We use it whenever we have heavy dishes like lasange that leave a lot of mess on the trays. Very handy!

Back