Who's an organ donor and who isn't?

Most definately yes yes yes. I am also thinking about donating my body to science as well as I have no religious beliefs and don't care if I am buried/cremated or whatever. Of course if I get married in the future I will probably change my mind about the science but not about the organ donation.

As for the insurance not paying out, there was a similar story not all that long ago on the Ray Martin Show where the insurance co did not want to pay out the claim because the deceased did not declare on his application that he suffered from sleep appnia (spelling?) which apparently weakened his heart walls etc etc. The insurance company's excuse was that they would not have insured him if they had known about the sleep appnia, so yes insurance companies suck big time!

cheers:)

*puts hand up*

I thought it was great when the Govt. introduced that deal that your organs would be donated without waiting for family permission if you chose to have them donated. About bloody time.

Mark

Merovingian said:
If I'm dead, I'm not using them, and they'll only be incinerated.

i'm having my ashes turned into a red diamond and put in a ring - alongside my blue hubby. just hope my great great great great grandkid doesn't drop me down the drain

natmarie73 said:
Most definately yes yes yes. I am also thinking about donating my body to science as well as I have no religious beliefs and don't care if I am buried/cremated or whatever. Of course if I get married in the future I will probably change my mind about the science but not about the organ donation.

As for the insurance not paying out, there was a similar story not all that long ago on the Ray Martin Show where the insurance co did not want to pay out the claim because the deceased did not declare on his application that he suffered from sleep appnia (spelling?) which apparently weakened his heart walls etc etc. The insurance company's excuse was that they would not have insured him if they had known about the sleep appnia, so yes insurance companies suck big time!

cheers:)

You know my missus is a med student - final year now. All those stories aren't true today about teenage med students knicking body parts, practical jokes etc etc. They are very respectful of the cadavers, even to the extent of covering the faces with a cloth if they are working on a different part. Seems there is no shortage of cadavers either with more than enough supply.

However donating your body to science doesn't necessarily mean life changing research - often it is just young students identifying different muscle groups etc.

A worthy cause tho.

Cheers,

I am a donor but took it a step farther and signed up to be a bone marrow donor.That was a 3 year ordeal in itself. I had watched a TV show about bone marrow donors and thought that I would want someone to help my family if needed, so I should be willing to do the same.

I contacted the Canadian Red Cross and they said they would contact me when they had the next "drive" for donors. I thought I'd be able to do when I donated blood. We are a small town so that wasn't an option for me. I would have to go to the local hospital. Not a problem just need their OK. "Call back in 3 months" they (Red Cross) kept telling me. Well being much more naive back then, this scenerio went on for about 3 years. I was getting fed up.
The last time I spoke to them I threatened to go to the newspapers about this.They said to give them 6 weeks to get my appointment. Exactly to the day they called and I had my blood drawn.

I may never get called but I feel good knowing I have tried.

Yes I'm an organ donor.

Donating your body to science is a really sound financial decision:D
An older friend passed away - she had donated her body to science - so no body to deal with - no funeral. Saving at least $6,000 (basic funeral);)

About a month after her death (when they felt ready) her family held a memorial service in botanical gardens where she had been a volunteer guide - people gathered to celebrate her life in her favourite environment.

Very civilised I think.

Xenia said:
Petal,
Your story is disturbing!
I really hate insurance companies with a passion :mad:
I've had alot of bad luck with them, bet they didn't require a blood test to confirm anything before they took his money.

Bet they wouldn't have refunded his premium if he had never made a claim just because he had this condition.

What a load of B$%%^&&T!

I would go to the best solicitor I could and sue their a$SS.

Anyway, let's not let unethical business practices (ie insurance companies), stop us from saving someones life!

Yes Xenia, you are correct, we should not let this experience cloud our thinking on this. I have been told they have taken this to solicitors, I just hope they don't have to spend a heap of money on legal representation to get back their money.

Donors

thefirstbruce said:
So, who's an organ donor, and who isn't?
If a donor, why so? If not, why not?
Well, I'm in the same thinking as the majority of you. If I won't be needing my organs anymore, they can have them.

I used to have my licence signed, but now they have the database, I've signed the forms and made sure my parents know my decision. But I'm not planning on going anywhere in the near future so they'll be waiting a while :D

Give to the vampires too !

I am not acutally a donor but I have nominated that I would like to be once I pass on. :D

I have been on the bone marrow register for over 10 years and can't believe they don't want my marrow - it's good stuff. I make it myself!

I donate blood because it made such a difference to my Oma's life when she was so ill. I am indebted to those who gave and try to act in kind for the next person. (tho' donating really messes with me so if I have been sick I can't afford to donate)

Donating blood is something we can do regularly while we are alive. Give it a go.

i've tried to give blood on several occasions but can't seem to make it to the table. first time i passed out in the waiting room and the second time i turned green the moment i saw the tubes ... last time i didn't make it out of the carpark.

unfortunately i am a person who has major trouble even with blood tests - the heart is willing but the flesh is weak:rolleyes: then again, with a blood pressure at 95/60 i probably wouldn't have enough ooomph to push it up the tube.

Last edited:
lizzie said:
i've tried to give blook on several occasions
It must be really hard to give blook!

I have the opposite problem from you with giving blood- it comes out very quickly. Back when they accepted my blood, I was told I was very good, it came out really quickly :(

Hiya,

I haven't signed up for the organ donor system (yet?), but, I do give blood on a regular basis.

I'm up for my 10th donation in a few weeks time. :cool:

It's amazing though, that they spend so much money on advertising for people to donate - and when I want to change my booking time, I have to wait another 2 weeks for an available timeslot. :confused:

Cheers

James.

geoffw said:
It must be really hard to give blook!

I have the opposite problem from you with giving blood- it comes out very quickly. Back when they accepted my blood, I was told I was very good, it came out really quickly :(
yes, my blook was welling - now fixed:D must have something to do with not getting a thing on my to-do list today and operating on minimum sleep (darn toddler at one end and good book at the other)

lizzie said:
darn toddler at one end and good book at the other
Didn'tyou mean a good blook?

I remeber the story about the cows.

One cow says "Isn't it terrible about the mad cow disease?"

The other cow says "yes, it is".

Cow1 "But it doesn't worry me!"
Cow2 "Why not?"
Cow1- "Because I'm a chipmunk".

Organ Donor Blood donor
on the marrow registry & waiting for the call
cyto panel donor red cell panel donor
was going for the 300 club, but now I live way to far from a donor center

round about my 135th donation time I got an urgent call to the Alfred, was hooked up to a cytopheresis(clotting factor) machine on one side of a plastic wall, little kid on the other side of the wall hooked directly to the other side of the machine, I was there for three hours, as soon as they unhooked me, they canged the tubes and installed another donor.
How can anyone, not excluded by PomResidence etc, not be a donor.
My favorite rant is it should be the rite of passage, into adulthood, dont go to the pub on your birthday and get drunk, go to the blood bank and save a life, be a real adult.
If everybody who could gave just once, there'd be enuf for everybody
my kid and his friends used to come every time, for pies and pepsi in the snack room, I hope they all grow up thinking there isnt anything else to do but be a donor

i've tried to give blood on several occasions but can't seem to make it to the table. first time i passed out in the waiting room and the second time i turned green the moment i saw the tubes ... last time i didn't make it out of the carpark.
Awww sweetie. That's terrible. I know some people just can't, really, really can't. The rest of us will make sure there's enough. It's 'kay. I am the same with public speaking - some people just can't, I would rather give to the vampires (but not with an audience :D )

Back