who's Liable for power bill?

I have a rental that was leased some time ago, March 08.

The last tenant was a Sudanese refugee and his family that didn't have much english. When they left the Power was still on and i believe it is still on in their name, as i don't get billed.

I'm sure they will be getting fees and penalties as they haven't updated their info and cancelled their account with western power. they possibly have been listed with credit reference agency too.

I don't have a forwarding address. Do I phone Synergy and tell them they moved out 18months ago.

Stupid question but, am I liable to pay the bill as it's my premises?

Thanks

keg75

Not sure on the legal liability, however If the bill hasn't been paid for 18 months I would be amazed if the power is still connected ...

Regards,

Jason

I am sure they would have to pay, but if the bill is in their name I know you cant get it turned off. Find out from the power company, do you know who they were/are withbecause I think you will have to sign affidavits etc to get it turned off

I called synergy and the lady said the account was closed.

I hope for the former tenants sake that synergy didn't list them with credit agency or summons them as they probably didn't know they had to shut off power - they were Sudanese refugees with very limited English.

She said that the power is still connected and that any power consumption at the premises to power retic boxes etc Synergy wear the cost. The lady also said the bills don't automatically revert to the property owner as the water consumption does if a tenant leaves a premises.

I suspect that if you don't do a meter reading upon starting a new tenancy any power consumption would be added to your bill.

So this wekend I'll be over there setting up my workshop to build my boat :D

Thanks keg75

Back