Why be an employer ?

I think you're failing to grasp the distinction between the quality of a person that they are "a smoker", and the person's activity habits, that they require smoking breaks every hour.

A smoker who doesn't smoke during work hours wouldn't have the productivity detriments you mention, and it would be none of your business what they do at home.

Yep. It's not like an employer is required to allow a smoker a 5 min break every hour to have a fag. If it's made clear from the start that smoking is only allowed at tea breaks and lunch breaks then all should be fine. It's irrelevant what an employee does during their breaks.

It can be argued that small regular breaks (to have a smoke, go to the loo, make a cuppa, gossip around the water cooler etc) increase productivity, not decrease it.

I think you're failing to grasp the distinction between the quality of a person that they are "a smoker", and the person's activity habits, that they require smoking breaks every hour.

A smoker who doesn't smoke during work hours wouldn't have the productivity detriments you mention, and it would be none of your business what they do at home.
I am not failing to grasp the distinction between a smoker and productivity. Smokers are no doubt able to be as productive as a non-smoker; it's the time off work for a smoke that makes them less so when you compare the two.

I would hazard a guess that most smokers cannot get through an entire shift without a fag...would even struggle at 3 per shift as per below;

At our place; the only smoke breaks are the designated 15 min paid break in the am, lunch time, and an unpaid 15 min break in the afternoon. (I currently don't have any staff who are smokers, so moot point). So; only 3 chances to have a coffin nail per 8 hour shift.

I think this workplace rule would deter a large number of future staff at many places?

Last edited:
tumblr_nco276rzmV1tvespno1_1280.png

Why be an Employer?

Today I feel so sick I just want to lie in bed and sleep all day...

But, I cannot take sick days.

My sister in law and her husband own a convenience store with a house attached to the back. Husbands currently sick so wife goes to work in the other room.
:)

That just means your particular business relies on you being there daily, it isn't an indication of all businesses
It means I haven't got the right staff.

By atrition I've ended up with the one current bloke, plus me - he's a good mechanic, good bloke and reliable - but effectively a Luddite (still does banking with a passbook FFS).

So no real hope of ever getting him into the 20th Century and able (or willing) to operate a cash register, learn about tyres, and/or a computer. :rolleyes: a dinosaur; but he's all I've got. I have tried; without saying; "You must learn this stuff or else" type approach.

In 2.5 years he has made no effort to get involved; just wants to be a back room plodder; hidden away from humans, do the work, and get out of the place.

I did have the right scenario for a while; Manager who could do everything, but these days the turnover does not support a suitably trained person - unless I can step out and work elsewhere to cover the cost of the new Manager.

Not whining about that; just explaining the status quo.

I used to be in golf shops as you know, and every staff I had could do whatever I could do (usually better :)) - but the way the industry is; if the Pro takes a day off, the bloody Club Members start whining; "Where's the Pro? He's never here!" :rolleyes:

Ya just can't win, Sanj. :D

Last edited:
Advertising for office admin, 2 interviews booked for this morn, both no showed without contacting.

Cant give jobs away

Advertising for office admin, 2 interviews booked for this morn, both no showed without contacting.

Cant give jobs away
I know a mechanic who had a job set up for him at another workshop not too far from here, after he lost his job elsewhere...

Day one to start work - no show, no phone call and never heard from apparently. :confused:

I know a mechanic who had a job set up for him at another workshop not too far from here, after he lost his job elsewhere...

Day one to start work - no show, no phone call and never heard from apparently. :confused:

Last week I had 2x no-shows to inductions. $400 each, plus 2x $60 drug tests. $920 down the gurgler!

And this by blokes who p!$$ and moan there is no work in this town!

pinkboy

BV & Pinkboy,

Just curious.
Were these applicants on Centerlink benefits.

According to the TV, they are required to apply for 20 jobs a month...maybe they were scared they may actually get one.

BV & Pinkboy,

Just curious.
Were these applicants on Centerlink benefits.

According to the TV, they are required to apply for 20 jobs a month...maybe they were scared they may actually get one.

These guys weren't. Mining shutdown maintenance is a fickle game. In the days when it was all going good, guys were jumping ship for 20c an hour extra. These days if they get offered 8 days work v 7 days work they will take the 8 days despite an employer spending $hundreds because they just dont know when the next set of days will be available.. I get the $$$ back on the merry go round.

Don't worry, these guys will call me in 2 weeks chasing work. Happens every time.

A few years ago I got pissed off with these shenanigans from a bloke who did it to me twice. So I got one back. He called up chasing work, so I said I had a job coming up at a mine about 10hrs drive south. I ensured he would turn up by gee up the $$$, all he had to do was drive there and I would sort out his induction while on the road. Guy obviously drove the 10hrs south and got to the gate and they had no paperwork or inclination he was coming. So he rang and rang and rang and text my phone, and I deliberately ignored it just as he had done to me. Geez, he was naturally pretty angry, threats and everything. Sucked in buddy! In hindsight if he had of crashed driving to site I'd had been responsible, but that was an afterthought. Lucky.

pinkboy

Yes we get these. People that apply at 10am, call them at 11am, and "their circumstances have changed and they wish to withdraw their application".

Happens so often its obvious they are centrelink diary padding

OH ITS SO HARD TO FIND WORK WOE IS ME

We have had the same thing happen. We advertise a job, get some applicants, have a chat on the phone, arrange a time for them to come in, and they don't show.
I then call their referees and explain that the actions of the person who has used their name reflect on them. I have had a couple of referees agree with me and probably give the person who used their name an earful.

We have had the same thing happen. We advertise a job, get some applicants, have a chat on the phone, arrange a time for them to come in, and they don't show.
I then call their referees and explain that the actions of the person who has used their name reflect on them. I have had a couple of referees agree with me and probably give the person who used their name an earful.

Yep, the credibility of the referee is compromised.

People forget that whichever industry they work in, chances are 'everybody knows everybody'.

I do love the applicants who email 2min apart have each other as referees!

pinkboy

Yes we get these. People that apply at 10am, call them at 11am, and "their circumstances have changed and they wish to withdraw their application".

Happens so often its obvious they are centrelink diary padding

OH ITS SO HARD TO FIND WORK WOE IS ME

Too bad they can't be dobbed into Centerlink...have their benefits suspended.

Back