Why be an employer ?

When I first left uni, I had a mate who couldn't find a job for a year. Applied to everything and anything remotely relevant, spent a lot of time and effort on the applications, and even took up a few casual jobs to pay the bills in between. Never even bothered applying for centrelink.

I'm sure if you look around a bit, you'd find plenty of these people coming out of school/uni. To be honest if the only applicants you get aren't even turning up to work, something strange is going on...

like that recent thread of the a person having problem with getting workers,

I too sometimes hire people for manual labour, ranging from 30+ year olds without work, to 20s young ones, to 15 year olds looking for a a bit of cash,

and its surprising, how many of them once the work gets too hard, they simply up and leave, while im working with them

^^ When I was in the USA, you could drive around and on various street corners there would be 20 or 30 blokes hanging around (always South American/Mexican)...looking for work.

We had to move to another apartment when in L.A, and had a bit of furniture to shift.

I hired a truck, and then drove to a corner where I knew these guys were.

As soon as they saw the truck, it was a stampede towards me, and the truck was immediately surrounded with shouting, screaming blokes; "Pick me, pick me!!"

I picked two guys and paid them $50 each for the job. Hardly any English between them.

They went like bats out of hell, and we knocked it over in half a day. They were terrific.

This practice is happening all over the US now.

When I first left uni, I had a mate who couldn't find a job for a year. Applied to everything and anything remotely relevant, spent a lot of time and effort on the applications, and even took up a few casual jobs to pay the bills in between. Never even bothered applying for centrelink.

I'm sure if you look around a bit, you'd find plenty of these people coming out of school/uni. To be honest if the only applicants you get aren't even turning up to work, something strange is going on...
Same.

I've never been out of work for any length of time requiring a Centrelink payment.

Always found something to do which paid the bills.

^^ When I was in the USA, you could drive around and on various street corners there would be 20 or 30 blokes hanging around (always South American/Mexican)...looking for work.

We had to move to another apartment when in L.A, and had a bit of furniture to shift.

I hired a truck, and then drove to a corner where I knew these guys were.

As soon as they saw the truck, it was a stampede towards me, and the truck was immediately surrounded with shouting, screaming blokes; "Pick me, pick me!!"

I picked two guys and paid them $50 each for the job. Hardly any English between them.

They went like bats out of hell, and we knocked it over in half a day. They were terrific.

This practice is happening all over the US now.

I wish that would happen here too!!

how much easier my life would be

i remeber having a school holiday job when I was like 15 working at a vet,

I had to clean cat and dog poo, feed them, clean urine soaked towels, take them for a walk, all for $6 per hour, even had to clean up after surgery

cant say I enjoyed it every single moment, but it was decent dollars for me, so I was there with bells and whistels every morning

Yeah but if we let in hordes of illegals like the US does, Tony Abbott would have something to say about it. He might even shirtfront you!

GDxqs2c.jpg

Found 2 good candidates for the 2 jobs I am trying to fill

Rang both yesterday and left vm's for both asking to call back, so we can discuss an offer

Neither have bothered to return calls.

Cant give jobs away

What's with the complete lack of interest in your jobs? Are you guys offering terrible wages, or trying to only recruit superstars? Given most business owners are complaining about being flooded with too many applicants, seems a bit odd you're all getting no interest in your jobs.

What's with the complete lack of interest in your jobs? Are you guys offering terrible wages, or trying to only recruit superstars? Given most business owners are complaining about being flooded with too many applicants, seems a bit odd you're all getting no interest in your jobs.

Oh we get a zillion applications, 99% of which arent worth interviewing.

Of the 1% that are, many are time wasters or centrelink diary fillers

Of the portion of the 1% that arent time wasters, most in person dont match up with their on paper persona and cant answer simple questions that someone with their supposed experience should be able to answer.

So you are left with only a tiny portion of the applicants that are actually competent, and they are in demand.

Pay decent wages.

Have just about given up

What's with the complete lack of interest in your jobs? Are you guys offering terrible wages, or trying to only recruit superstars?

Nope. Nothing like that. The frustration for me (and probably Dave) is that we advertise for a job, gets lots of dud responses (people overseas etc), we get down to a shortlist and get in touch with people and arrange for them to come in for a chat in a day or so and often they don't show. No call, no email, just a no show. It's odd.

Found 2 good candidates for the 2 jobs I am trying to fill

Rang both yesterday and left vm's for both asking to call back, so we can discuss an offer

Neither have bothered to return calls.

Cant give jobs away

Says the guy who didn't bother replying to a PM from me putting my hand up to take some of the work if it could be done remotely. Even just to say 'Thanks, but no thanks'.

Ever considered a good recruitment agent?
We used one for our last 2 employees who've been with us for just over 12 months now.
Things have worked out exceptionally well.

They do all the usual compatibility testing, screening, DISC profile testing, etc.
All the stuff that takes a long time to reduce down to a few choice candidates, the ones that really stand out.
You should get a 6 month guarantee too that they will stay on and perform as expected.

Back