Why can't I give kudos any more?

Mods,

When I try and give kudos I now get this message:

You must spread some kudos around before giving it to $userinfo[username] again.
It first popped up when I tried to kudos AlexLee and I figured I must have kudo'd him recently so thought nothing more of it. But then it popped up again this morning when I tried to kudos Lizzie. So now I think it will popup regardless of who I try and kudo!

It says Welcome, MichaelWhyte at the top of the screen so the boards know who I am, but for some reason my kudos efforts aren't working.

Please help...

I would really really like to give Alex and Lizzie the kudos they deserve for two excellent posts of late. I'm a sharing kinda guy and I reckon the odd bit of appreciation goes a long way. :D

Thanks in advance,
Michael.

I believe that you have to give it to several people before you can give it to a person twice. I am not sure how many.

Did you try giving it to someone you haven't given to before?

The FAQ explains it all

... and I've fixed the $userinfo[username] problem ... should now show their name correctly.

Sim,

Thanks. OK, I get it:

you can only give kudos to the same person after giving kudos to 5 other users first
That's a bit rich though. I don't hand kudos out every day so I lose track of who I kudo'd recently. I reserve it for genuinely good posts. Its not my fault if the same poster does another stellar post before I've found 5 other good posters to reward first.

Seems a bit mechanical to force the spread like that...

Ah well, Lizzie and AlexLee, consider this a virtual kudos! :D

Cheers,
Michael.

grossreal said:
hi MichaelWhyte
how do you send kudo's haven't seen it anywhere:(
See the white scales in the top right of the posts. Click on that and then just follow the prompts. Its a way of recognising what you consider to be good posts and thereby reward the poster for their efforts.

Cheers,
Michael.

grossreal said:
hi MichaelWhyte
how do you send kudo's haven't seen it anywhere:(
What Michael said.

To view comments you have received when other people have given you kudos, click on the "User CP" at the top of the page. I suspect you will have a few.

MichaelWhyte said:
Mods,

When I try and give kudos I now get this message:

It first popped up when I tried to kudos AlexLee and I figured I must have kudo'd him recently so thought nothing more of it. But then it popped up again this morning when I tried to kudos Lizzie. So now I think it will popup regardless of who I try and kudo!

It says Welcome, MichaelWhyte at the top of the screen so the boards know who I am, but for some reason my kudos efforts aren't working.

Please help...

I would really really like to give Alex and Lizzie the kudos they deserve for two excellent posts of late. I'm a sharing kinda guy and I reckon the odd bit of appreciation goes a long way. :D

Thanks in advance,
Michael.

Send me a Kudo and see if it works. :D

thanks alot to all the kudo's people some were there for some time and didn't acknowledge them as hadn't seen um.
better then my short black as a pick me up.
there lots here I haven't played with

whats the oposite of kudo's if you think someone's posts st-nks what do you do then
is there an opposite.
just interested not that I currently need to use it.

grossreal said:
whats the oposite of kudo's if you think someone's posts st-nks what do you do then
is there an opposite.
just interested not that I currently need to use it.
Yep,

That would be the stop sign with the exclamation mark in it at the top right of the post. Again, just click that icon and follow the bouncing ball. But this actually is a process for notifying the moderators of an inappropriate post as opposed to some sort of reverse kudos so please use sparingly and only if the post genuinely deserves to be moderated.

And please don't practice on this post! :D

Cheers,
Michael.

Actually no ... the "Report Bad Post" button is for posts that require moderator attention ... eg Spam and such. Don't use it to tell someone you don't like their post.

The Kudos system was modified from the original to remove the ability to leave "negative" feedback. We want it to be used for providing positive comments to other members.

If you really have an issue with someone, perhaps a Private Message would be a good way to discuss it.

MichaelWhyte said:
I don't hand kudos out every day so I lose track of who I kudo'd recently. I reserve it for genuinely good posts. Its not my fault if the same poster does another stellar post before I've found 5 other good posters to reward first.

Seems a bit mechanical to force the spread like that...

I think some form of 'forced spreading' is an excellent idea.

Otherwise two people could endlessly give each other kudos ad infinitum.

The result is kudos inflation, where the average value per kudo (assuming that's the singular of kudos!) plummets and eventually they become meaningless.

Kudos inflation could possibly be fixed by removing any kudos more than a year old. However since there are forum archives that contain really good posts, good old posts are never lost so on reflection neither should their kudos.

What I am about to say could be regarded as heresy in a capitalist forum whose members support the concept of unlimited wealth and 'win win', but I'll propose it anyway.

As a measure to prevent kudos inflation, I'm attracted to the concept of 'relative' kudos or 'kudos share' rather than absolute kudos. In other words closed-ended rather than open-ended. Your score becomes a percentage, ie your share of the total kudos offered. So if the total number of kudos awarded across all users is 10 000, and you have 300 kudos, then your weighting is 3%. It is actually a sign of a healthy growing forum that kudos are spread out fairly evenly since it means a lot of good quality posters rather than a few stars.

Or, and much closer to the current open-ended system, is standardising or weighting the value of kudos a each user gives. The kudos weighting of a person would be:

- directly proportional to the kudos others have given them (I think a variant of either this or posting activity already operates), and
- inversely proportional to the number they have given out

Hence highly rated posters who seldom give out kudos (like Michael!) would have more powerful kudos than lesser kudo'd posters who spread them less discriminately. This wouldn't prevent kudoflation, but would stop it becoming hyper.

Peter

Reactions: Les
MichaelWhyte said:
That would be the stop sign with the exclamation mark in it at the top right of the post. Again, just click that icon and follow the bouncing ball. But this actually is a process for notifying the moderators of an inappropriate post as opposed to some sort of reverse kudos so please use sparingly and only if the post genuinely deserves to be moderated.
People use this sparingly and properly.

Though it's terrible to be notified of a mail- just when I'm expecting yet another great opportunity from Nigeria, I get a mail telling me that somebody needs a slap on the fingers. How disappointing!

Michael,

If you think Lizzie and Alex deserve kudos you should be able to give it to them whenever, as long as it doesn't become a club. You should be free to give credit when credit is due.

To assist you in this matter, I propose you free up some kudos by clicking on the scales at the top right hand corner of this post and follow the prompts. In no time you will be free to once more spread the kudos to L & A.

Regards

Andrew

A nice thought BH - but it doesn't work quite that way.... :D

Regards,

Edited later: Seems I misread BH's post - so let me retract my comment. I'd misread the "tongue in cheek" reference that BH made. So, yeah, go ahead, Michael - give BH some kudos, and it could well work for you ;)

In short, though, BH made a very cogent point - and that is if kudos are able to be given freely (i.e. without limits) then they can be manipulated much more readily. Sorry if you don't like the current settings, but they make some sense when standing back a little....

Last edited:
hi all
seems like I have opened a hornets nest
it would have been easier to say there is no negative kudos.
oh and les enjoyed meeting you the other night and I have my battle hat on and in to battle next week will pm you the result.
can you put up items that you will kudo's so the person can aim for something.
no hornets nest please

Back