Why is IKEA so successul

I like looking at the sample rooms...wonder if they would notice if I put a tenant in each one .....

I think the sample rooms is one of the reasons they're successful. It's easy to visualize what the stuff looks like and gives ideas on how you could do similar in your own place.

I cant think of a single Aussie company that can match Ikea. Forget the talk about hills hoists and black box recorders.

Let's wake up and learn to compete. And if we can't,then lets dig out more dirt and try to sell it to China at inflated prices. It might work for a decade or so.

As a country, we have so much potential.......maybe we should import Elon Musk here to teach us a thing or too.

I think the sample rooms is one of the reasons they're successful. It's easy to visualize what the stuff looks like and gives ideas on how you could do similar in your own place.

Definitely agree with this.

I think they have nailed a certain market, those who live in apartments where they have smaller areas, IKEA has compact furniture. It also always looks great, modern, bright and funky. Price point helps, its so cheap, only negative is it comes in packs.

MTR

Like Mc Donalds, they tend to attract gen X and Y. Parents with kids and they offer to help with entertaining kids so that parents can get some time out.

Although every time I go there, it's packed full of elderly people having lunch during the day - at both :confused:

I cant think of a single Aussie company that can match Ikea. Forget the talk about hills hoists and black box recorders.

Let's wake up and learn to compete. And if we can't,then lets dig out more dirt and try to sell it to China at inflated prices. It might work for a decade or so.

As a country, we have so much potential.......maybe we should import Elon Musk here to teach us a thing or too.

Hang on Australia is ranked 13th in the world - most innovative countries, that's not a bad gig as far as I am concerned........ just read this

http://www.brw.com.au/p/business/australia_ranks_th_in_world_innovation_d4pcpw7HEr1OUKLIashMWI

With the new tourist accommodation ... my manager went thru and bought dozens and dozens of new over sized cushions for the beds and couches ... cheap and very modern/trendy looking.

It think their success is because they supply a good looking "quaffing" items for a reasonable price ... and they function (ie, drawers open without snagging).

At the moment, in Australia, the other choices, if you want something modern looking tends to be cheap chipboard/laminate furniture which looks cheap - cheap Bali timber that looks good but doesn't function very well - or costs a fortune.

Wish they had an Ikea in Newcastle :eek:

Last edited:

Agree with every word. Australian companies lag behind the rest of the world in many areas. Partly because we are a small and isolated market in many areas, so it's both very difficult and not very financially rewarding for foreign companies to challenge our entrenched oligopolies. Apart from medical science and health care, we do that rather well.

Especially like the Elon Musk part! He'd have all this wide open space for his space stations, electric cars and whatever his ultra fast land transport idea is/was

Like other multinationals such as Apple, Google, News Corp, James Hardie and the like, IKEA undertakes industrial scaled tax avoidance and keeps the lion share of their income.

If you are not having to pay the ATO the standard 30% tax rate due to your carefully structured ownership structure you are already ahead.

Because $.

Proper furniture costs a fortune. For myself I normally hit up gumtree and get 2nd hand solid timber furniture from bored wealthy housewives who are redecorating. Same price as IKEA but better quality.

However, most of my compadres are firm believers in newer is betterer. Live in house and land packages in south Geraldton with a house that could be disassembled with an allen key in 3 hours.

They offer a brand new product at a second hand price. Everything else is irrelevant to most of the folk I know buying the furniture.

Like other multinationals such as Apple, Google, News Corp, James Hardie and the like, IKEA undertakes industrial scaled tax avoidance and keeps the lion share of their income.

If you are not having to pay the ATO the standard 30% tax rate due to your carefully structured ownership structure you are already ahead.

What ikea is doing is terrible but you can't list that as one if the reasons they're successful imo. Perth and able is Dr stores are franchises and pay full tax on earnings a d are still very profitable

Even the poor eastern European countries are miles ahead of Australia in so many ways. Ikea is innovative, has excellent product quality and customer service.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOXQo7nURs0

Complete rubbish.

The poor Eastern European countries are used by firms like Ikea in the same way that Mainland China is exploited by richer regional neighbours.
There wouldn't be any Eastern European country that would qualify as innovative.

Ikea is basically the Mcdonald's consistency model, you know exactly what you're going to get, regardless of where you are anywhere in the world and cheap labour is used to achieve it.

Complete rubbish.

The poor Eastern European countries are used by firms like Ikea in the same way that Mainland China is exploited by richer regional neighbours.
There wouldn't be any Eastern European country that would qualify as innovative.

Ikea is basically the Mcdonald's consistency model, you know exactly what you're going to get, regardless of where you are anywhere in the world and cheap labour is used to achieve it.

I agree with your general gist but putting ikeas success down to cheap Labour doesn't seem right imo.

Cheap Labour where? In Sweden where I believe a lot of their product is still designed? Or in their plants around the world which are highly automated?

only negative is it comes in packs
Yes, it does save money (shipping and labour), but apparently they also deliberately take advantage of the cognitive bias now known as the "IKEA Effect", whereby people actually like furniture that they've assembled more than if they don't have to invest that effort. Interesting, huh?

I have to confess, I love assembling flat packs. It's like LEGO for adults, and I can justify spending time on "play" because it's "productive". :)

Back