Why is IKEA so successul

Because $.

Proper furniture costs a fortune. For myself I normally hit up gumtree and get 2nd hand solid timber furniture from bored wealthy housewives who are redecorating. Same price as IKEA but better quality.

However, most of my compadres are firm believers in newer is betterer. Live in house and land packages in south Geraldton with a house that could be disassembled with an allen key in 3 hours.

They offer a brand new product at a second hand price. Everything else is irrelevant to most of the folk I know buying the furniture.
Bingo.
Your thought processing on this issue is spot on IMHO. In five years time you will probably enjoying the fruits of your smarter choices with a great property portfolio whilst your compadres will still be paying off shiny new cars with personalised plates and whopping PPOR mortgage etc and wondering how you did it.
Its true young people generally want new and now and after paying for their McDonalds and the latest smartphone the furniture they can afford is at Ikea.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. Just like your take on things.

My parents house is decked out with leather chesterfield lounges, mahogany hand carved tables, custom curtains, genuine Persian rugs - it's gorgeous and my dad has picked out the quality wood, apparently there imitations.

Some of the furniture placed their furniture was sourced from are closing down - can't compete with the cheaper, more stylish, disposable stuff!

There was once a market for bigger mansion type houses and classical furniture but now that is only a small niche market.

Also they purchased their furniture when I was just a child - it still looks amazing and has probably retained it's value over the years.

In my own home - it's cheap ikea stuff or other non classical furniture that is disposable! I let my kids jump from couch to couch and don't care because it's just cheap furniture!

There is a lot of cheap crap at ikea.

I absolutely abhor being herded around the store like cattle. 5k's of walking to place an order for a kitchen, because even if you have item numbers you still have to place an order in store you can't just ring them up like every single other shop. Then 25mins of waiting to get service at the kitchen service counter (I timed it) this was a week day as well.

Then told it would take 30mins to 1 hr for the store people to pick the kitchen units for us for pick up... 2 hours of waiting later and they finally have the stuff for us to pick up.

Beside the annoying store layout, the one thing they rely on Australian's to do, is the customer service. And that is by far the worst thing about ikea.

But with all that said, their kitchens are better quality than bunnings and only 2/3rds the price...

There is a lot of cheap crap at ikea.

I absolutely abhor being herded around the store like cattle. 5k's of walking to place an order for a kitchen, because even if you have item numbers you still have to place an order in store you can't just ring them up like every single other shop. Then 25mins of waiting to get service at the kitchen service counter (I timed it) this was a week day as well.

Then told it would take 30mins to 1 hr for the store people to pick the kitchen units for us for pick up... 2 hours of waiting later and they finally have the stuff for us to pick up.

Beside the annoying store layout, the one thing they rely on Australian's to do, is the customer service. And that is by far the worst thing about ikea.

But with all that said, their kitchens are better quality than bunnings and only 2/3rds the price...

Tim

Maybe try to make your journey more interesting, so what you do is you pick up a hot dog on the way through, or have yourself a juice at their caf? or something like this.

I guess pros and cons, but its here to stay cos people love the stuff.

I am challenged when it comes to trying to put the furniture pieces together, this is where I pass the buck:)

I am off to IKEA today need another office desk. Its not for everyone that is for sure.

I have been to Ikea about three times ever, I have learned their system. Just before Christmas I wanted some shelves, so I wrote down the stock number before I left home, went directly to the invoice issuing stand, collected the packages, paid and was back in the car within 20 minutes. Easy as.

There was once a market for bigger mansion type houses and classical furniture but now that is only a small niche market.

I think this market is dead and this furniture is just not desirable anymore. I offloaded most of my antiques, I could not give it away.

We have a period home and we prefer to have modern furniture, its practical, comfortable and can blend in well, just looks so much better I think, easier to maintain as well.

Ikea is fine if you use it for it's intended use which is firewood.
If you aren't, then you are really just acting as an intermediary between it and landfill.

As for the Hot Dogs, the type of people who are eating them are the last people that should be, another similarity with Macdonalds.

Back