Will 6 weeks bond effect tenant response

I am curious to know if you reduced the bond amount? I am a tenant who reads all I can on this site as we plan on buying IP's in Australia in the very near future.

As renters who could well afford 6 weeks bond we would still be very hesitant to pay it if other homes in the area are only asking for 4. Especially considering the suburb you were renting in and the low rental price.

Our automatic concern would be that we have a landlord who will increase the rent by a hefty amount when possible. I know it's not necessarily true, and it's quite rude to assume all landlords would be the same...having said that... I see your property is no longer available so luckily not every tenant is as cynical as us :D

OK, the property is now rented.

I reduced the rent to $240 and as such could only ask for 4 weeks bond. This saw an increase in interest but not by much, (I got 3 groups of people to the open instead of 1) which tells me it must just be the time of year rather than the rent. All up the unit was empty for 2 weeks which is a record for me.

Regarding Gumtree, I got about 12 enquiries from it so will definately use them again.

The Gumtree tenants did seem to be lower quality though (not necessarily a bad thing), I think they may go through Gumtree due to it mainly being private landlords advertising who can't do tenant database checks or who are willing to go on gut feeling rather than a perfect rental history.

Regarding Domain, I think I got about 4 enquiries total from them, so they were definately the worst.

Going from past history I will still rely mainly on RE.com as they normally generate more than enough interest.

Thanks for your help and opinions guys.

Back