Votes: 27 15.0%
  • Probably

Votes: 85 47.2%
  • Definately

Votes: 58 32.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi Andrew

Good post regarding real terms. I feel that the argument regarding longer term investing relates to opportunity cost and the "local" vs international opportunities. If I was a US investor with a sizeable bank balance, I would be concerned regarding the effect of the USD decline on the real terms of my investment opportunities. The USD Index has declined by a third since 2002 which would be worrying. I would be looking to diversify into some international exposure if I was in that situation (in fact one of the reasons that I ceased trading US equities was the effect of the USD decline on total profits when repatriated back to Australia and better opportunities elsewhere. Small investors without the ability to diversify into international and hard commodities exposure may find their real wealth declining quite considerably. Those with foreign earnings (non USD) can take advantage of the situation to buy local assets cheaper.

The strength of the BRIC countries and the gradual rise of their middle class over the next 30-40 years will probably support the continuation of the commodites supercycle over the longer term. I feel that this can only be good for the "commodity currencies" of Australia and Canada, and will probably support our economy for the longer term. The big caveat for myself is that there may be large geopolitical shocks present regarding energy and commodities.

MBL

I can see that you are a fan of Shilling and Prechter's work regarding the impending deflationary spiral for the US and world economies. It might be argued that when the US situation is examined in relative isolation, that they are correct and that in fact the deflationary process has begun via the declining USD purchasing power. Whether that takes into account the multifocal economic growth spots (mainly due to demographics of a young population and rising standards of living) of the BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India and China) is arguable. My thoughts are that they have a predominantly US centric view.

Appropriate investment is dependent upon a timeframe analysis and is age dependent. The needs and timeframe of someone in their twenties is very different to someone in their sixties. It is impossible to state that when deflation may occur and investors need to be watchful and aware. However to simply go to cash may be a real problem if hyperinflation does occur, (as it usually precedes deflationary spirals historically), as cash will be devalued quite quickly. Much faster than other hard assets (physical assets such as commodities, precious metals and land). I think it was Andrew that posted that the preferred medium of exchange in Zimbabwe (a country currently experiencing hyperinflation), at the moment is grain.

Its all food for thought and my thoughts are that ultimately a broad macro view is a risk management tool and protector of wealth not a creator of wealth per se. There are times when the macro climate will encourage the use of leverage and there are times when it would be more prudent to be risk averse. It ultimately depends upon individual circumstances.

As an aside MBL, I might suggest that if you want serious discussion that you adopt a less abrasive and blunt tone in your posts. The tone of forum posts can be easily misinterpreted and offense given when none was intended. Perhaps using terms such as I feel or I think rather than being dogmatic may improve your relationship with forum members :)

Cheers

Shane

Last edited:
Arkay,

your theory about MBL is interesting however not true, she is in fact based in Melbs however my research indicates she doesn't own ANY property and from what I understand of her posts on this forum and her previous history she is simply a troll looking for attention. Pity she can't use her energy for anything important though.....

Tim

After reading a bit about you in another post Tim, it would seem we have a bit of a "Secret Agent Man" in our midst.:cool:

BB

or is tim just taking the mickey - 'cause mbl has stated that they are a "melbourne boy, born and breed".

could be a trannie tho ... i hear there's a few of those in melbourne :eek:

Prophecies of doom from 2007

Six years on, I thought I'd bump this thread.

It is interesting to read all the prophecies put forward in 2007, just before the GFC hit.

Despite all the problems we have had real estate has still gone north in most markets.

Six years on, I thought I'd bump this thread.

It is interesting to read all the prophecies put forward in 2007, just before the GFC hit.

Despite all the problems we have had real estate has still gone north in most markets.

How much more in real terms though?

Ah.. I wonder how mbl is doing today.. If nothing else it must be incredibly wearing to be him with that cloud of doom and gloom circling above all day every day.

Reality is pretty much exactly where the somersoft posters put it back 6 years ago. The sky is still there and hasn't fallen. Property while flat for a bit is looking better. Interest rates are fantastic and I haven't had the slightest sign of difficulty in terms of borrowing money. Guess mbl was wrong.. There's a shock...

If he wasn't banned though I'm sure he's still waiting for the 50% crash and would love to tell us all how overvalued Australian RE still is today.... LOL.

Cheers,

Arkay.

Ahhhhhh... when people like that enter the market, you know it's about to crash.

While they're still dooming and glooming, you know it's a good time to buy

I will speak for the Perth market.
We are now seeing property rising, this started around 9 months ago with some areas increasing as much as 20%, we are seeing multiple offers on properties and a shortage of stock, rental demand is also high.

Will it double, not anytime soon? I don't think so, perhaps we will see continued steady increase in value.

For all the D&G reports predicting Oz property market would crash and there would be blood in the street, what can I say, I never listen to economists cos they always get it wrong.

What is also interesting is that the US property market is rebounding and their are signs of a property recovery.

MTR

There's a reason economists always love the D&G stuff.

It's called tall poppy syndrome. They just wish they could join the club but they are probably shackled to their high paying job.

Plenty of places have also gone south since 2007, I just bought a place cheaper than the prices in 2007. I think the 5% "No Way" in that poll will be proven the most correct.

A similar poll today would be quite different, no one really expects property to double every 10 years like they did back then after having just experienced it (1997-2007). Those days are gone.

Plenty of places have also gone south since 2007, I just bought a place cheaper than the prices in 2007. I think the 5% "No Way" in that poll will be proven the most correct.

A similar poll today would be quite different, no one really expects property to double every 10 years like they did back then after having just experienced it (1997-2007). Those days are gone.

Not all property, but I would expect properties that I buy in 2012/13 to double by 2022/23.

Depends which market you're in.

If you're in Sydney or Melbourne and you bought your property for less than its 2007 price, it'll probably be even cheaper in 2017. So I'd sell ASAP if you bought there.

Depends which market you're in.

If you're in Sydney or Melbourne and you bought your property for less than its 2007 price, it'll probably be even cheaper in 2017. So I'd sell ASAP if you bought there.

Would love to know your reasoning? Remember there has never been a period in last 60-70yrs where median property price of Melbourne or Sydney has been lower than 10yr before.

Not saying it can't happen. But I certainly don't expect it to happen.

Cheers,
Oracle.

Would love to know your reasoning?
Hi mate,

I think Delta's suggesting that if its gone backwards from 2007 then there's likely to be a very good reason which means it is not necessarily good buying. It could keep going backwards...

Cheers,
Michael

I prefer to buy after the falls rather than before, bought on the NSW coast at 30% off peak 2010 prices. Yes it might fall further but I´m not selling, don´t expect it to double but would be happy if it returned to 2010 prices by 2023, that would be a 43% gain in 10 years.

Back