Will The RBA Move On Interest Rates Next Week?

CBA up 45 bps, and is already flashing their latest decision on netbank, talking about efficiency when it suits their agenda :eek:

they're running loose without a leash and the labor govt let them into the hen house, in fact they rolled out the red carpet and blocked anyone not on the guest list, all the while promising them a great feast inside because they were too big to starve. Now they are gorged and the treasurer wags has finger... naughty naughty you ate too much and really shouldn't have a lot of cake. yeh right....

They did exactly the same under the Liberal govt.

they're running loose without a leash and the labor govt let them into the hen house, in fact they rolled out the red carpet and blocked anyone not on the guest list, all the while promising them a great feast inside because they were too big to starve. Now they are gorged and the treasurer wags has finger... naughty naughty you ate too much and really shouldn't have a lot of cake. yeh right....

My opinion is that finding it hard to grow your business and/or IP portfolio doesn't exactly equate to 'living on struggle street'.

A lot of people who are really struggling would possibly resent that comment.

It was Alan Jones who made the term famous by the way. Not 'golden tonsils' Lawsy.

Anyway, rates are up. Which means the economy is doing well. Pretty amazing considering the rest of the world (esp. Europe and North America) are seriously struggling.

Looks like the stimulus kept us afloat, and then some. And because of that we will be back in surplus in no time. Reported last week a $1 billion surplus already! Pretty amazing.

Good afternoon all

One of the most pressing questions at this time every month is…will the RBA raise interest rates?

Whether it does or does not will be revealed next Tuesday. However notwithstanding the RBA’s decision, I believe there is a far more pressing question: will the banks raise interest rates independent of the RBA?

For what it’s worth AND it’s only my opinion, I don’t believe the RBA will raise rates next week. I’m convinced there are very good reasons not to do so including a manageable rate of inflation and reasonable unemployment numbers. However there is a much more important reason to (at least) postpone any rate rise; and that is (as the infamous John Laws once…or twice said), those folks in ‘struggle-street’ are really struggling.

I get around a bit and speak with both business people and investors AND I can tell you many are struggling to survive, let alone grow their businesses and/or investment portfolios.

Regarding the far more pressing question mentioned above, unfortunately I have a very uncomfortable ‘gut-feeling’ that the banks are about to move rates up. And this contention is gathering momentum. Commonwealth Bank CEO Ralph Norris, at its annual general meeting, highlighted the increasing costs of funding…usually a clear indication that a decision has already been made. This also signals to other financial institutions that a rate rise is in the wind.

What's your opinion?

Cheers
Garry

They did exactly the same under the Liberal govt.

ok I don't know about that one. why would they need to have done that, there wasn't a GFC? not that it exscuses what they have done. What eastpac did to their clients (under the guise of st george) was a moral disgrace

Anyway, rates are up. Which means the economy is doing well. Pretty amazing considering the rest of the world (esp. Europe and North America) are seriously struggling.

Looks like the stimulus kept us afloat, and then some. And because of that we will be back in surplus in no time. Reported last week a $1 billion surplus already! Pretty amazing.

or are rates up because of the stimulus?

and our rates have always been artificially high, strangely for similar reasons that we pay $100 for a t-shirt worth $10

What evand. Reported surplus already, haha. Pull the other one mate. What, the NSW $1b surplus for 2009.

What about the Labor federal deficit ($48B last year), and peak debt of $90B by 2013.

Rates aren't going up because of a good economy. Rates are going up because of all the borrowed money, and inflation figures (factoring in greeny electricity price increases, etc).

Anyway, keep the rates going up. Feel the pain you silly Labor voters and FHB, haha.

It just shows how little respect we have in this country. Bank excuses are expensive money costs , while they make record profits !
Just like everybody else ripping us off in OZ , they know we'll sulk for awhile but at the end of the day we'll just roll over , swallow their garbage and suck it up.

Pity !

ps , at least I won the cup , giddy up.

It just shows how little respect we have in this country. Bank excuses are expensive money costs , while they make record profits !

Some might argue that that property prices are a dead weight against the future productivity of the country.
Residential property price rises do nothing to create genuine sustainable national wealth. It cant be exported, the price doesnt generate an income, only the underlying rents.

Whilst property prices rise above borrowing costs, however it is a great way for those involved to create paper profits.

Yeah I agree with that , higher prices in anything don't seem to help anyone except those on the receiving end .

Relying on rises , rises , rises , growth , growth, growth , is a pretty stupid way to run an over populated and 3/4 ruined planet I reckon.

And if we look at Australia lately , what's next , 10 bucks for a loaf of bread or 3k for your quarterly elec' bill , what's the point !

The stimulus was perfect timing for Labors re election,just give it six months..willair..

Good afternoon all

One of the most pressing questions at this time every month is…will the RBA raise interest rates?

Whether it does or does not will be revealed next Tuesday. However notwithstanding the RBA’s decision, I believe there is a far more pressing question: will the banks raise interest rates independent of the RBA?

For what it’s worth AND it’s only my opinion, I don’t believe the RBA will raise rates next week. I’m convinced there are very good reasons not to do so including a manageable rate of inflation and reasonable unemployment numbers. However there is a much more important reason to (at least) postpone any rate rise; and that is (as the infamous John Laws once…or twice said), those folks in ‘struggle-street’ are really struggling.

I get around a bit and speak with both business people and investors AND I can tell you many are struggling to survive, let alone grow their businesses and/or investment portfolios.

Regarding the far more pressing question mentioned above, unfortunately I have a very uncomfortable ‘gut-feeling’ that the banks are about to move rates up. And this contention is gathering momentum. Commonwealth Bank CEO Ralph Norris, at its annual general meeting, highlighted the increasing costs of funding…usually a clear indication that a decision has already been made. This also signals to other financial institutions that a rate rise is in the wind.

What's your opinion?

Cheers
Garry

Well, now we know. I have to admit I was more than a little surprised by the RBA's move BUT not at all surprised by the banks. Maybe we can all relax for a while now that it's far less likely that further increases will occur in the immediate future.
Hopefully everyone can still afford to take some time out and enjoy the festive season. A safe and happy Christmas to all and best wishes for a fabulous 2011.

Cheers
Garry

Well, now we know. I have to admit I was more than a little surprised by the RBA's move BUT not at all surprised by the banks. Maybe we can all relax for a while now that it's far less likely that further increases will occur in the immediate future.
Hopefully everyone can still afford to take some time out and enjoy the festive season. A safe and happy Christmas to all and best wishes for a fabulous 2011.

Cheers
Garry
Everyone has their own idea of "Utopia",what makes you think for one second that the rates will stay where they are??..

Everyone has their own idea of "Utopia",what makes you think for one second that the rates will stay where they are??..

The one thing we can be absolutely certain of is that rates won't remain where they are...maybe the next move will be down - only time will tell!!

Back