Window blinds & curtins.

Window blinds & curtains.

What do you do?

After checking a recently vacated IP, I decided to replace the blinds which had virtually just fallen apart. I have no idea how long they were there but the fabric had crumbled. The windows were the right size because I was able to buy the new blinds 'off the shelf'. It was not an expensive exercise and a maintenance tax deduction, so I thought about replacing the blinds in some of the other properties.

Some of my other IPs have blinds and some have curtains. In general, I believe the tenants puts their own window treatment up. What do you do?

Do your IPs include blinds and window treatment of one sort or another?

Last edited:
In SA, we're virtually obliged by the Residential Tenancies Act to provide window treatments.. I buy cheap curtains where possible, I replace blinds with curtains when they get damaged or tired. Blinds are prone to damage and expensive to replace.

duncan_m said:
In SA, we're virtually obliged by the Residential Tenancies Act to provide window treatments.. I buy cheap curtains where possible, I replace blinds with curtains when they get damaged or tired. Blinds are prone to damage and expensive to replace.

Yesterday I went to a Goodwill store (not sure is this is a national thing or not).. A charity shop that sells stuff left in their Bins scattered around Adelaide. I found enough curtains to do all of the Windows on a small 1BR flat that I've just relet and it only cost me $28. 6 Windows of varying widths, I had to remove all the micro-venetian blinds that were getting very tired and tatty. The curtains were a bit mismatched, but the unit was easily re-let yesterday afternoon.

Hehe I love Op Shops :)
In the last IP I had those fake timber lookalike venetians put in. Cost me just under $2K for the whole house, but, geez, what a difference! House looks so much better with unified window treatments and they also provide a lot more privacy than curtains alone.

Back