wine that will last?

Well the big wedding day is tomorrow week, so is coming up quick! Kate and I are looking at putting a nice bottle of wine with a letter to each other away for the next 10 years and opening then.

The issue I have is she doesnt drink Red wine, so its down to champagne or white wine. Finding one of these that will cellar well for that time is proving hard with my limited knowledge.

Whites rarely cost much, and i dont think last too long and the champagnes that could last are ~ $400 and there seems to be a decent chance they will go off.

Any suggestions or are my facts wrong? Otherwise it will be a good bottle of red and I will work on her pallet for the next decade to bring her over to the red side!

Thanks

Ben

ive heard of people cellaring chardonnay and riesling but not sure how long they can go for, id assume they would only be really good ones too like pierro or leeuwin art series

where are you going to cellar it?

Here is one for out of the box thinking.
I have a friend who wanted to buy a bottle of good wine for his grand kids to open on their 21st (port for the boys, Dom perignon for the girls).

At birth he opens a bank account with high interest and deposits the amount of the bottle he wants to buy.

Keeps an eye on it over the years, does some term deposits etc. At the 21st the kids get their bottle plus a bit of cash :).

Do the same with your "bottles of wine" go have a look at a good bottle shop and pick a really nice bottle each. Stick that amount into an account and watch it grow for 10years :)

My son was born in 2005, so I grabbed a couple of 2005 Penfolds Grange and put them down in my wine fridge (13 degrees, 65% humidity) in preparation for his 21st.

The 2005 was released in 2012, so the wine will have been down 16 years when we open it.

We bought a really nice port the year my daughter was born (1985). It was at a vinyard so they advised about how it would last. We opened it at her 21st. She doesn't drink port (which we didn't know in 1985:D).

Hubby and I really enjoyed it though.:D

We have a 6 pack of VB's in our work fridge which is from a Christmas party about 7 years ago. We keep thinking of giving it a go - but fear aluminium poisoning or something :D Should have bought stubbies instead....

BTW Congrats Belu for the big day!

The Y-man

This is still a full tinny. We're waiting for it to mature a bit more.

Even without that date it's obviously very old. It's been a long time since the Raiders won the NRL premiership. And a long time since a cigarette company sponsored the comp.

Raiders.JPG

The Winny Tinny

We found a few dozen white Tamburlaines at my Mum's place last year, dated mid 1990s. They looked very dark, like something from a Brisbane bathroom early in the mornings during the drought when we were on heavy water restrictions. When opening the trial bottle, the cork disintegrated. Not wanting to ruin a good experiment, Brother and I carefully strained this liquid gold through clean fabric into a 1 litre pyrex jug. Removing the cork fragments, we gingerly tasted and discovered it had honeyed but was very nice. We have progressively saved all the bottles from the disintegrating cork Grinch and must confess, this red-only girl has now been converted.

Hi Ben

How old is your little honey!!

When I was in my 20's I thought red wine tasted like vinegar. 20+ years on I prefer red to white ...but a good red is dearer than a good white.

And I must agree with Dave's last comment :D :D :D :D :D having one more sip!!

Back