Wooden Wall

Hi Everyone,

I have scheduled a reno on a place we bought in March to begin at the end of next week when the tenant vacates. There is one wall which has me perplexed though.

I have attached a photo but essentially it is a 'feature' wall of angled pine boards painted with an estapol. Not the most appealing of features in my opinion.

The whole house is getting a paint etc, and was wondering if anyone had painted this type of wall with normal paint to simply match the other walls in a room, and if so, how it looked afterwards. Did it blend in better?

For your interest, the bathroom is also getting a full overhaul as well (pic attached). The waterproofing in the shower is so bad that the joist under the house has so much water on it it has rotted through!! The floor waste drain was not even attached to a pipe either under the house. Might be able to salvage the basin but it is really a bit big for the room as there is the most minimal room between the toilet and the basin.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_0613(a).JPG
    IMG_0613(a).JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0621(a).JPG
    IMG_0621(a).JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 90
Ah, the old sauna/chalet look.

Sand it, seal it, and paint it. It will look fine.

You could sheet it with gyrock (pretty easy), but if it's a rental, I would just paint it.

We had a faux-timber feature wall, which we removed and regyprocked.

Make sure you get a pest inspection.. that sort of damp is where termites love to live!

Yep, I'd just sand it, apply an oil based undercoat and paint. That'd the easiest and most cost effective.
I'd only rip it out and regyprock if it was a PPOR.

After painting an IP that had wood featured walls, I really, really could appreciate them from another point of view.

- They hide scuff marks easily.
- You don't have to paint them, so the room takes less time and less paint. Chairs often do hit the walls in this kind of setting.
- We have them in the dinning area. No scuff marks on plaster board/ broken plaster there.
- When almost every other wall was damaged the wood feature wall came out looking fairly much the same (a few big gouges but they aren't as noticeable as a chunk of plaster missing).

I'm becoming quite a fan of the wooden 'feature' wall. What a great feature for a rental property.

Back