Would anyone like to give feedback on my website?

Would anyone like to review the RE-design/style of my online store and give any feedback? I always have the problem where when I look at something for so long all I can see are the faults, so might be good for a new perspective. I've used tinyurl because I would prefer the web address not showing here.

Current: http://tinyurl.com/d9cprer
Updated: http://tinyurl.com/ccfhj2z

Updated does have spelling mistakes and a lot of the wording needs to be changed, but it's more so the overall layout and style. This segmented look is a 2013 trend which is why it's designed like that. I had some feedback that I should move the products to the upper part of the page.

The people in the pics look too much like models. Not real. Too many glitzy American-style pics.

Ordinary looking people would be more credible.

Just my opinion, seeing you asked.

Take all with a grain of salt.

Initial impressions: Looks good, clean, and ***** all over the previous design.

Agreed, the cheesy stock imagery is lame and impersonal.. some more "realistic" looking, less perfect images would help. I know it can be difficult/costly on this front and stock photos are cheap as chips..

Search box is in a slightly unusual place. Might be worth putting it top right in the navigation just for those who want to get searching immediately.

Also, this is purely a data-based suggestion, but making the "shop now" button more prominent will draw more people straight into the store (things to help may include a change of colour, increase in size, change of style so it jumps out a little more from the rest of the flat blues of the site, an arrow e.g. SHOP NOW ->, different placement.

And while I am at it, though this may be out of the question seeing it appears packaging designs have been mocked up/there's probably existing items etc but just on the logo, could definitely do with some refinement so it has a personality of its own. It doesn't look bad, just unremarkable which says "Just another".

these standard test beds may assist you

speed | html | css2 | css3 |

handheld
opera |iphone |ipad

other browsers

many problems (if present) show
serious code errors , shown in the w3c validator sites will produce blankscreens in browsershots

Valid code does not ensure the site will work ...
Invalid code does ensure the site will not work ... .. in all browser OS combinations

not all layouts work in handheld devices
examine css @media handheld { } & simplify the style and layouts for small devices

fixed size elements do not work in any device except the screen they were designed on, current best practice is em or % for layout, scalar quantities that auto-adjust to window size, screen resolution, user preference, device capability

strictly code based, you understand(care about) content more than I do

Disagree with others on the models looking too impersonal. Teeth whitening is selling an ideal - the ideal of American-style physical perfectionism. Using photos of 'real' looking people would defeat the purpose. You wouldn't use 'real' looking women to sell weight loss products or clothes, you'd use models. The women in the your stock photos look fine to me, they have an appropriately wholesome feel. The last thing you want with a teeth whitening site are sleazy photos. You want that professional 'dentists recommend these products' feel rather than that scammy 'this site will infect your computer' feel.

That said, I'd get rid of the brunette just above the 'whitening guide'. Her fake tan is overdone and it ruins the effortlessly perfect vibe. Replace her with a handsome but wholesome male model. There are currently 4 photos of women but no men. Though women will make up most of your customers, having a man makes it feel more trustworthy and professional, coming back to that 'dentists recommend these products' thing.

The page length is a bit awkward, it feels like 3 or 4 pages are squeezed into one, but the segmenting thing is what you were going for.

My biggest problem with the site is that the 'cleanness' has that generic template layout feel, but that's just me.

Overall, not too bad.

Disagree with others on the models looking too impersonal. Teeth whitening is selling an ideal - the ideal of American-style physical perfectionism. Using photos of 'real' looking people would defeat the purpose. You wouldn't use 'real' looking women to sell weight loss products or clothes, you'd use models. The women in the your stock photos look fine to me, they have an appropriately wholesome feel. The last thing you want with a teeth whitening site are sleazy photos. You want that professional 'dentists recommend these products' feel rather than that scammy 'this site will infect your computer' feel.

That said, I'd get rid of the brunette just above the 'whitening guide'. Her fake tan is overdone and it ruins the effortlessly perfect vibe. Replace her with a handsome but wholesome male model. There are currently 4 photos of women but no men. Though women will make up most of your customers, having a man makes it feel more trustworthy and professional, coming back to that 'dentists recommend these products' thing.

The page length is a bit awkward, it feels like 3 or 4 pages are squeezed into one, but the segmenting thing is what you were going for.

My biggest problem with the site is that the 'cleanness' has that generic template layout feel, but that's just me.

Overall, not too bad.

Wow, great comments, agree with you.

Definately, get rid of the brunette with fake tan, really detracts and makes it a little tacky.

I really like the suggestion that males should be included, very important.

MTR

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated and all is being taken on board. Completely right with some of those pictures and how they don't work, so we will change some of those especially the over Americanized pictures. I worked out the proper name for the styling I was wanting which is METRO... Basically the way Windows 8 looks. Examples http://www.andysowards.com/blog/2012/50-epic-metro-style-design/

AlmostBob, I think you tested the current site which is atrociously made and not surprised about the hundreds of errors. If you did test the new design, it's currently just a picture which may explain a lot.

But one thing I thought was going to be harder than the index page is the product pages. If anyone would like to comment on this other page that would be awesome also.

Before http://tinyurl.com/88yxck9 (when everything was just on 1 page)
After http://tinyurl.com/argh8uj (now separated)

Couple thoughts of mine, bottom menus do not match the top.

Back