Would you rent to a Polygamist?

Was listening to ABC radio tonight and they mentioned some Somalian migrants living in Melbourne follow their Islamic heritage of polygamy. Islamic law allows this if the husband can afford more than one wife.

I am interested to know how PIers feel about renting to a polygamist.

And whether polygamy is stretching multiculturalism beyond what most Australians feel should be tolerated.

Haha Winston you really are the King of controversy :)

Personally I wouldn't give a hoot if they were left handed polygamist gay Zoroastrian ATO employees, as long as they looked after the place, pay the rent on time and give me no grief.

I am addicted to Big Love on SBS though, it's one of those HBO classics like Oz and Deadwood.

Mrs Beef thought I was just indulging in a little male fantasy until she watched an episode, now we can't wait to see how deep the crap that poor guy is in each week.

One's more than enough for me. :D

Cheers,
Beef.

hi
it is already in lakemba, blacktown and parts of parramatta that I know and is a cultural thing. the difference is that the husband has one wife on the books and the others are single mothers and rent the units with the husband as a co tenant so he may have 4 units one is him and his wife and 3 with the others ad he has the key and the other 3 are working or what ever.
there is no check on single mothers,
so I don't see the difference.
what or how people live there lives is upto them and if they lives this way thats fine by me.
but to say that the somali's have brought this here is not the case.
there are blocks of units in lakemba that only have single mothers in them and these are not renters these are also buyers
as there is a very high cash flow with in this group and remember that this is a family network so out of 1 male and 4 females and they will have 5 incomes thats alot of money into that group.
and they can co invest in the same group and both reduce tax and grow very quickly.
so you will find that alot of investors on here may not even know.
unless the single person told them as there is no record apart from within there community.
I find it funny that polygamist should get front news what next married guy with 3 mistresses.
show me the difference.
and are you going to start to ask
please sign here and write down your mistresses please just so I can keep the information correct as abc could ring.
there is alot worse in this world then a group of people wanting to live together in what ever form they like gays,polygamist, lesbians, multi groups, what ever.
not sure how you
A ask
B find out.
but interesting question anyway

Haha Winston you really are the King of controversy :)

hey BH, i just listen to the issues Radio National think are important to the broader community.........a bit rich for the ABC like to throw off at commercial shock jocks huh?

Personally I wouldn't give a hoot if they were left handed polygamist gay Zoroastrian ATO employees, as long as they looked after the place, pay the rent on time and give me no grief.

how about angry young Saudis in Australia to learn how to fly commercial airliners..........suppose Labor and the law would argue there's no proof they're doing anything wrong.....

I am addicted to Big Love on SBS though, it's one of those HBO classics like Oz and Deadwood.

Mrs Beef thought I was just indulging in a little male fantasy until she watched an episode, now we can't wait to see how deep the crap that poor guy is in each week.

Big Love.....hmmmm.....haven't heard of it......

One's more than enough for me. :D

Cheers,
Beef.

the issues Radio National think are important to the broader community.

Not part of that group so not worried, it's a world away from me.

how about angry young Saudis in Australia to learn how to fly commercial airliners

Once again not involved, 0% probability for me. They can join the angry engineers, angry baggage handlers and angry customers parking in the mud at Perth domestic.

Having said that, any mutterings about changing Westminster Law to accommodate special interest groups. Well where do I get my pitchfork

what or how people live there lives is upto them and if they lives this way thats fine by me.
Hearty "ditto".
how about angry young Saudis in Australia to learn how to fly commercial airliners..........
:confused: Are you suggesting that because aircraft have been used as weapons that we should start restricting access to flying lessons based on nationality? Do we then withhold driving lessons from people from Northern Ireland, because of the historical use of cars and trucks as bombs by terrorist groups there?

I believe that we spend far too much time and effort attempting to stop angry people from acting on their grievances (ie committing terrorist acts), and nowhere near enough time and effort attempting to resolve their (often) legitimate complaints. Unfortunately, when extremists resort to terrorism, it has exactly the opposite effect to what is desired, and the world stops paying attention to the underlying issues. For every terrorist, there are millions of other people, who don't condone terrorism, but who wholeheartedly share the terrorists' grievances. And the world (read: UN) is doing nowhere near enough to attempt to resolve those issues. :(

Until we address the source of such anger, terrorism will continue to be a global security issue.

Was listening to ABC radio tonight and they mentioned some Somalian migrants living in Melbourne follow their Islamic heritage of polygamy. Islamic law allows this if the husband can afford more than one wife.

I am interested to know how PIers feel about renting to a polygamist.

And whether polygamy is stretching multiculturalism beyond what most Australians feel should be tolerated.
Winston.it would not worry me the renting part , but what does worry me is Who pays for this lifestyle of these people with several Ladies and children,from the Islamic people that i know,and i have asked this to several about having more than one wife, the answer is always the same,if the person can afford this setup then it's ok by them,for me i don't know why anyone would want 2 or more Ladies in their life,one is enough, BTW in the small street that i live in i'm the only straight bloke in the street all the rest are gay proff men and good people so nothing worries me..willair..

can women have more than one husband too??

i confess my addition to Big Love too - love it!

Would I rent to a polygamist? Firstly, I doubt, with the laws the way they are, that I'd ever know if the tenant was a polygamist anyway - they're unlikely to disclose it are they?

I'll rent to whoever has the best references and ability to pay the rent and look after the place.

But from a personal point of view I'm in two minds about this issue to be honest.

hi all
interesting question one persons freedom fighter is another person terrorist.
and colour or race does not change the above as there is the same all over the world.
I think that there is a very interesting christian saying.
don't look for the speck of dust in someone elses eye worry about the plank in your own.
so for me race, genderality, customs, ( as long as they don't want to do halal or african blood letting on the balcony towards the sun) religions, faiths or for that matter age has no place in deciding business.
at the end of the day a business is there to generate income and non of the above stops that.
and the better or quicker people understand that.
they will be able to invest in areas that would not be normally within their radar

hi all,

I must say that it wouldn't worry me as long as they pay the rent and keep the place clean!

Generally speaking, most polygamist "religions" have a rule that they must be able to "afford" the second, third etc wife and therefore, one would think they have enough money to pay the rent.

Regards Jo

Same here. If all involved are acting under their own free will of course.

One of the original reasons for polygamy in those areas (valid or not) is that there is a shortage of men in some of these areas due to war. The argument is better to be a mans 3rd wife than growing old by yourself as a war widow.

Many of you have said you'd rent to whoever could pay the rent and not cause you grievance, and pointed out you'd hardly know if someone was a polygamist because they weren't likely to tell. I posed the question "would you rent to a polygamist".....which innately implies you would know.....otherwise you'd just be renting to 'some random' person you know nothing of.....in Gen Z speak. :)

I believe that we spend far too much time and effort attempting to stop angry people from acting on their grievances (ie committing terrorist acts),

My point was OP that the US authorities didn't act enough, and what chance the victims of Bali.....If US authorities spent too much time and effort attempting to stop angry people, it was because they had very wishy washy guidelines on how to deal with threats to national security. I am sure the relatives and friends of those killed in 911 or those who would be targets of Dr Mohamed Haneef's cousins, would have appreciated a bit more assertive and invasive vigilance into what was suspicious activity. Permeable borders are a result of permeable minds and values. We don't have to be everyone's best friend to get through life safely.....nor accept trojan horse gifts.

and nowhere near enough time and effort attempting to resolve their (often) legitimate complaints. Unfortunately, when extremists resort to terrorism, it has exactly the opposite effect to what is desired, and the world stops paying attention to the underlying issues. For every terrorist, there are millions of other people, who don't condone terrorism, but who wholeheartedly share the terrorists' grievances. And the world (read: UN) is doing nowhere near enough to attempt to resolve those issues. :(

Until we address the source of such anger, terrorism will continue to be a global security issue.

And then there's the problem of overanalysing the thoughts of those who would hurt us ad infinitum. Sometimes, disgruntleds are beyond changing their ways after a 6 week course of free cognitive behaviour therapy. Some of them even tell lies while plotting to destroy you!!!! think of Hitler and Poland, Japan and Pearl Harbour.

Sometimes, it is appropriate to act decisively, even if some people's finer sensibilities are ruffled. It is interesting that the string of illegal migrant economic opportunists who the leftist media in Australia labelled asylum seekers, didn't stop coming until Australia decided to stop being a soft target. personally, I never bought the asylum seeker thang. These people had asylum when they got to Pakistan....no need for them to travel through 4 more countries to get to Australia.

Winston.it would not worry me the renting part , but what does worry me is Who pays for this lifestyle of these people with several Ladies and children,from the Islamic people that i know,and i have asked this to several about having more than one wife, the answer is always the same,if the person can afford this setup then it's ok by them,for me i don't know why anyone would want 2 or more Ladies in their life,one is enough, BTW in the small street that i live in i'm the only straight bloke in the street all the rest are gay proff men and good people so nothing worries me..willair..

Exactly, religion per se should not affect the decision to rent. What the religion entails should be a consideration, eg does it require broadcast to the neighborhood your recital of your holy book as is the practice in some countries. Of course, if it comes to broadcasting prayers to the neighborhood from high parapets, property prices and CG growth is likely to be affected.

Apart from the effect of some religions on CG of property, there will be impact on societies, eg welfare, inheritance, minority rights, legal exemptions. Some examples are highlighted by an observer in UK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI5WoXpmPiM&feature=related

I hasten to add that I do not subscribe to all the views of Pat Condell, however he mentioned changes sweeping over Europe, which is a preview of what can happen in Australia, eg "polygamy is legalised in Germany, for muslim men only of course" mentioned in the above Utube broadcast. How, about potential for other issues, eg shariah law, IR law for prayer breaks and fasting, under-age marriage as happened in Yemen, family benefits for the outcome of polygamy, dress codes for schools and business, etc.

Of course people who adhere to different lifestyle practices are not necessary bad people, some are very nice, well it's just practices which will nevertheless affect everyone and may affect your freedom, your taxes, principles and lifestyle expectations.

Last edited:
Assuming that polygamy is a criminal offence (?) does your knowledge of someone committing a criminal offence ie being a polygamist, make you an accessory (if that's the legal term in this case).

can women have more than one husband too??

i confess my addition to Big Love too - love it!

Absolutely. Polygamy is a non gender specific term. So maybe ask the husband? hehehehe And it has happened that way - I believe to give the survival of the children a better chance.

I woudl no issue with it. Actually I don't understand why having a second or third wife when a man can afford it can be illegal when being married but having a bit oin the side is somehow ok? I never quite got that. Would we then arrest adulterers?

Last edited:
This could be an opportunity to rent by the room!:D

good one xenia.....always looking for an upside :)

Personally, I wouldn't have any trouble renting to several mature adults. or two couples under the same roof. It's the sex/partner thing that increases risk IMHO.

I'd have trouble with a guy with several female (or male) partners, or a woman with several male (or female) partners......why? because I think I'd surmise the probability of the sh(t hitting the fan eventually would be high, which would end up causing me problems.

Back