Would you rent to a Polygamist?

Why wouldn't you lease to a polygamist? Is it because you don't agree with the way they live their lives? You're restricting your potential market if that's the case.

You've already indicated you wouldn't rent to Saudi's, any other nationalities? What about bigots? Would you have them as a tenant?

In terms of people'e belief's the one I found the most personally difficult was a neo Nazi I rented to. I discovered this after I let to him. To my amazement the jewish lady in the apartment above said she felt safe with him on the ground floor :eek:

For the record he was a good payer, kept the place well and won employee of the year. So as a landlord it was all good. On a person level I was less comfortable.

Polygamy Jokes!

Wow, that would be REALLY weird if you were like, a bisexual man and had like 3 wives and 4 husbands. And then 2 of those husbands were transsexuals.

Being a kid in a polygamist family has gotta be tough. On Mother's Day these kids are signing more cards than a footy player.

And you got 23 different mothers nagging you all the time.

You gotta hand it to these kids. Growing up I had a hard time following the rules and I only had 2 parents. Imagine following the rules of 9 parents! It's like instead of 2 judges you got the Supreme Court:

I wouldn't have a problem with them as tenants, and frankly I find it really backward that it's illegal here. Australia is supposedly a 'free' country :rolleyes:

Why wouldn't you lease to a polygamist? Is it because you don't agree with the way they live their lives? You're restricting your potential market if that's the case.

nope, as I said above it is because I think there is a higher chance there will be difficulties ahead. Gooram, are you a seasoned landlord of polygamists, or are you just parroting the intellectually lazy 'anything goes' ideologue stance?

You've already indicated you wouldn't rent to Saudi's, any other nationalities? What about bigots? Would you have them as a tenant?

Gooram, I can see you'd be THE landlord for all paedophiles who have just been released from jail, and Hell's Angels bikies to come and see.......considering you are a Pollyanna anything goes kinda guy. I can't see you wanting to offend anyone, though how'd you go renting to Pauline Hanson or her son?

Was listening to ABC radio tonight and they mentioned some Somalian migrants living in Melbourne follow their Islamic heritage of polygamy. Islamic law allows this if the husband can afford more than one wife.

I am interested to know how PIers feel about renting to a polygamist.

And whether polygamy is stretching multiculturalism beyond what most Australians feel should be tolerated.

As long as the rent is in the account every month and the property is looked after, they can have whatever sex life they want.

I don't personally agree with it, but if it's legal and doesn't hurt others, then good luck to them.

Of course, I think it's illegal here, and therefore they may be carted off to jail, in which case my rent wouldn't be getting paid to me, so on that basis I have a problem with it. ;)

Perhaps peoples only added 9ideology to their explanations due to a peceirved ideology of your own which you expressed. You presented your ideiolgy as though it was more factual than the opposing views however.

LAA's resposne was similar to yours when you menitoned mutliple partners living under th roof & the sh*t hitting the fan.

Had you presented your intial question in that tone, rahter than mention Saudi's being allowed to learn to fly & hence we had 9/11(no, you did not say it in those words, my summary only...), other's responses would not have been so ideological either :)

Yeah there's tenant types which are scary - hell's angels etc (i.e. obvious cirminal gang members that probably look threatenig....) Of course that gets me thinking of illegal activities / possible violence etc, so I'd consider the rsik VERY carfully (ie. strongly doubt I'd accept their application)....

But not on the basis that they are otherwise not threatneing criminal gang members but people who choose to ride bikes, I would not reje ct them ojust on that alone, which is the way you presented your view towards polygamists, you implied thta could lead to something else simply cause they are muslim / muslim polygamists alone.... That's what got any negative type of reactions, not that you are not allowed to have your naked philosphical opinions.... :)

This sounds like a topic for coffee chat room "property mgmt" seems to be a side issue of the actual topic you tried to raise...

We have the Hells Angels living near us and they seem to be very quiet living and law abiding. Maybe they have mellowed out in old age.;) The did make everyone sit up when they did a whole bike formation through the suburb soem years ago. The sound of that many bikes is quite impressive.

JC, this debate is about using discretion to screen tenants on the basis of the difficulties they might cause, or the moral dilemma one might find themselves in renting to various tenants.

It's interesting how such questions polarize stances taken into:

-those who discriminate to minimize potential hassles and express their ethics.

-those who feel they achieve more moral brownie points by not discriminating against anything, or at least not letting their ethics get in the way of making a buck.

Personally, my view is if you stand for everything, you stand for nothing.

And I don't raise these matters to stir racist sentiment. I was listening to a story on Radio National where the presenters were subtly trying to normalize polygamy by rationalizing away its downside, something they and progressives do a lot of.

edit: personally, I think polygamy might be rationalized as appropriate for primitive cultures where an alpha male has greater access to resources, but it is regressive and hypocritical in a culture that values democracy, equal rights, and individual freedom. And it amuses me that people who consider themselves advocates of equal rights, fall over so easily to accommodate things like polygamy.

What are the downsides? I am assuming fully consenting adults not involuntary under age which is an entirely differnet ball game.

what % of the husband's assets is 1 of 3 wives entitled to in the case of separation/divorce?

Surely that's something that the individuals in the situation and the law would need to take into account? The system has learnt to deal with split families, blended families, surrogate mothers, same sex partnerships etc. But why is that an issue for others? I thought we were talking about tenancy issues.

I am sure there are many cases where poligamy is less then successful especially for the women who may culturally feel that that thye have no other option. But if mature rational adult women chose it due to religious or lifestyle reasons? One women I recently talked to (an orthodox jew) a divorced woman who wanted to know why she couldn't choose from the cream of the crop (ie married men) rather than the unmarried pool which she felt were unmarried for many negative reasons. Her opinion not mine! (especially if she was eyeing off my husband hehehehe)

hi WinstonWolfe
I think your a bit wrong here.
1. everyone has a right to voice there views but it not free speech its free to a limit and people have stand for those fredoms nut becausse people don't have the same view as you does not say they don't or in your words nothing.2. because a person is not a racist, a pigot, a nazi or a anti christian does not mean they have no view or stand for nothing.
3. to live your life the way you want is not a primative state and its not for anyone to say
what some one should live in or how they live in what alot of people say is this so call new world( if the other was primative)
just because people think that parts of this rock are not advanced as we think doesn't automatic allow that our system is better or worse.
those who discriminate to minimize potential hassles and express their ethics.

or just discriminate because they don't understand the group or culture of that group.
and 5.
this debate is about using discretion to screen tenants on the basis of the difficulties they might cause, or the moral dilemma one might find themselves in renting to various tenants.
and this
And I don't raise these matters to stir racist sentiment. I was listening to a story on Radio National where the presenters were subtly trying to normalize polygamy by rationalizing away its downside, something they and progressives do a lot of.
we for me screening tennants has nothing at all to do with
gender, race, colour, age, sex, or for that matter whether they person goes to church, synigog, pub or brothel on a saturday or sunday.
for me its the person or company that is wanting to rent or lease.
and If I stand for nothing in your eyes thats fine by me put me in the line of the decenters.
as I am very happy to be there.
I could't stand to be in a line with the others as they would hate each other and the line would fall into a mass fight.
oh one minute thats the case now in so many places on this rock cause by people not understanding others and thinking that the others will say nothing.
as for the % well I don't relly care what percentage of a tennants asset someone else is going to get.
I don't check to see the accounts of a tennant or to as my current tennants to show me all director assetts and liabilities in case they could at some stage liquidate and how they will divide up there assets should some one sue them.
maybe I should and while doing it I should ask to meet with there bank manager dressed in black with very high boots and start to ask the manager for all the details of all the director of the company before letting him tennant my property(that would go down real well with a national client).
this is supposed to be a investor website and for people to gain information about investing and sorry to say this but really this post has nothing to do with any form of investing to me.
you could have your list of requireents for your 2br unit in hurstville to be.
a blue eye'd, blond haired, 6ft, male and must be able to lift his right hand to point to 1oclock on the clock face and must be willing to do this each time you collect rent.
but for me I like to have mine abit more open bu thats this world we are all very different

Last edited:
-those who feel they achieve more moral brownie points by not discriminating against anything, or at least not letting their ethics get in the way of making a buck.
WW, do you really think that those are the only two options? And are you so sure that your position is right that it blinds you to possible alternative explanations for people having a different position? Nearly every position that has a moral element seems to end up with one of your false dichotomies (they're becoming your specialty):

either

1) You agree completely with me and are right and can bask in your righteousness against the evil "other"

or

2) You disagree with me and are an unethical/immoral person, or "stand for nothing".

With regards to this particular issue, how about the quite reasonable position that most have actually expressed: that the sex lives of our tenants is none of our business? Even if we know it, WW, that doesn't make it our business, unless we have reason to believe that it's a recipe for a difficult tenancy. If they're polygamists with a long history of being trouble-free renters (ie don't damage the place and pay their rent), then yes, I'd be happy to accept them as tenants.

I, and I know many others who you label as "progressive stand-for-nothings", stand for plenty, WW. Just because we choose to make a stand in different places than you do, doesn't justify you being so disrespectful. Compared to other world problems that I take a stand on, allowing polygamists to have a place to live just doesn't even appear on my radar of "things that are wrong in the world".

gross, I'd care less how people live their lives if we didn't have a paternal big brother government that wants to tax me to provide a big fat juicy welfare net for when people fall out of their experimental trees. nor a govt that sets laws that favour tenants who find themselves distressed for various life choices that don't seem to work out.

goanna, ok, I see the point of your question now. The downside of renting to a polygamist in my view is that I don't know any successful examples of polygamy. I only know of the troubles caused when there has been multiple partners involved. One bloke in an apartment block I rented in when younger committed suicide after being rejected by one of the two women in his apartment and life. If 2 in 100 experiments in polygamy are successful and 98 disastrous, guess which ones progressives highlight?

hi
two things
1. you may care about the tax's that fine we have a way of changing that.
they call it voting and or getting elected both of which is available in this free country.
2. for me save the brownie points as I don't need them nor for that matter can I leverage off them.
3. as for falling out of there trees that fine for me again as they become renters they are not going to be the other person wanting to buy the property that I do so thats fine I will willing help them back up the tree.
its easy to get the people into the tree.
its alot hard to educate the pigotted,self centered, idological, mad men of this world to see reason and as this post started with flying planes into building.
well from reading so far this post its the same reasoning except as I said some people think of themselves as freedom fighter( the pilot at that time) and others see them as terrorists( the americans at that time and now)
and the only thing in common with them then and this post now is that had the pilot understood or for that matter adjusted his thinking to be outside that training he had been given then the building would still be standing.
the narrower the mind
the less thought is in the thought pattern.
and so you have the issue we have.
and this is not saying you come under this quote
but you can educate a fool
and at the end of the day what have you got
an educated fool

WW, do you really think that those are the only two options? And are you so sure that your position is right that it blinds you to possible alternative explanations for people having a different position? Nearly every position that has a moral element seems to end up with one of your false dichotomies (they're becoming your specialty):

either

1) You agree completely with me and are right and can bask in your righteousness against the evil "other"

or

2) You disagree with me and are an unethical/immoral person, or "stand for nothing".

come on OP, you are letting emotion cloud your reason here to disrespectfully deride me. That seems to be your modus operandi. To make out that your view is superior because you are prepared to spend a weekend doing the utilitarian calculus to establish whether someone with divergent values is worth taking a risk on.

The reason societies develop values is to simplify the calculus for difficult decisions. That's been the history of successful communities since history started.

You are arguing we should throw values out the window and become total act utilitarians and sit down and nut out what is the better scenario every single time we are confronted with something divergent.

Why have values at all is your view. Values only lead to prejudgement and unfair discrimination.

My statement was quite objective. I am pointing out that progressives and those unprepared to take a stand on such things haven't thought deeply enough to consider the hypocrisy and clash of their various stances.

With regards to this particular issue, how about the quite reasonable position that most have actually expressed: that the sex lives of our tenants is none of our business? Even if we know it, WW, that doesn't make it our business, unless we have reason to believe that it's a recipe for a difficult tenancy.

Hang on OP, you just contradicted yourself. Do we have a right to know the business of our tenants to reduce the probability of a difficult tenancy or not? Look at what you said there. You are adding provisos as you go to your original generalist 'let's not judge anyone' feelgood view.

If they're polygamists with a long history of being trouble-free renters (ie don't damage the place and pay their rent), then yes, I'd be happy to accept them as tenants.

To your mind OP and in your experience, do you know any polygamists at all? Have you read anything in the press about polygamists in Australia? or are you just taking the hypothetical ideologue stance?

I, and I know many others who you label as "progressive stand-for-nothings", stand for plenty, WW. Just because we choose to make a stand in different places than you do, doesn't justify you being so disrespectful.

You are once again being hypocritical in labeling me disrespectful OP. It is emotive inference. I note it is your way of trying to get the upper hand in a debate. You try to debase the other's stance by making out they are emotional bullies. Try and keep your argument more objective. It is more constructive when you do, and I know you are capable of doing so.

Compared to other world problems that I take a stand on, allowing polygamists to have a place to live just doesn't even appear on my radar of "things that are wrong in the world".

And there's more important things in life than the high divorce rate, and the high level of depression that develops in dysfunctional relationships that led to the death of 2 18 mth olds in Sunnybank. Better to focus on issues that aren't so fuzzy, or so values based......too hard or too judgemental to draw cause and effect relationships with all that stuff.

hi WinstonWolfe
not sure.
but they can keep fall out of the trees for me and I will keep helping them out.
why
while in the tree they are not buying property.
and if you read my posts I don't like competion

Back