Would you rent to a Polygamist?

WW, I sincerely apologise if you feel that I was disrespectful to you; I actually felt (and still feel) that I was being very restrained and objective, and I don't think that I've applied a single label to you. In contrast, you've labelled those who don't agree with you as having sold out values for money, being intellectually lazy, and standing for nothing; just in this thread!

I'm all for a robust, respectful debate - of which there have been plenty on Somersoft - but I think I will follow in the wise steps of our_obsession and stop dancing with you, in order to give our friendship the opportunity to continue.

what % of the husband's assets is 1 of 3 wives entitled to in the case of separation/divorce?

In Malaysia I think it's something like 1st wife gets 50%, next wife gets 33%, third wife gets 17%. Something along those lines.

I found all this out when my mates wifes dad was on his deathbed. His three wives were in attendance... and then a 4th wife came out of the woodworks!!

Gooram, I can see you'd be THE landlord for all paedophiles who have just been released from jail, and Hell's Angels bikies to come and see.......considering you are a Pollyanna anything goes kinda guy. I can't see you wanting to offend anyone, though how'd you go renting to Pauline Hanson or her son?

I'm sure I've been a worse tennant than any of these groups you mention. So you might be right, I could well be THE landlord for them.

I'm interested to know why you think polygamists would be any worse than any other relationship type... if any relationship breaks down, what is the effect on their landlord? They'll probably go their separate ways, and you might have to find a new tenant. I really don't see the issue, hence my question, why wouldn't you lease to them? What risk does a polygamist or even an angry saudi pose to you?

What's the worst thing that could happen to you as a landlord? I guess your own life is first and foremost, could your tenant kill you, i guess that's the first question. Next would be your house, could your tenant destroy your house? Next... are they going to pay the rent? The rest is all bonuses as far as I'm concerned. If they want to do anything illegal, I don't want to know, and it's their problem. There's nothing idealogical about it.

What I object to is your direct targeting of muslims. Some religions in the US practise polygamy, would you not lease to Christians? Some Saudi's aren't terrorists. How do you prevent leasing to an "angry young saudi" without discriminating against all young saudi's?
The london bombers were British... where do you draw the line? race or religion?

I dn't stand for everything & therff ore nothing.

I see people jumping to conlcusions & beleiving their own bull ****& I point it out

Years ago, there were a lot of fears & a lot of problems would surface later on down the track as a result of people supposedly like me who thought we should stop begative towars Sthn Euriopean migrants... These same pple who are now considered mostly to be ok / good citizens , who helped as much as anyone else in their time to build what we have, were thought of as DIRTY / SMELLY / UNTRUSTWORTHY / SEXZIST PIGS & RESPRESSORS OF WOMEN'S RIGHTS / ATE WIERD FOODS (I can tell you stories about people bying foods in the 70's and the way people would talk about them in disgust as if they weren;t there ) ETC ETC.. We used to get our religious practicse questioned - I was asked accusingly at school, if I'm a Christian, then why don;t I go to this particular church & why do I go to churh at night for Easter instead of christmas.. Allt hese things were considered very suspect by many & ADDED TO THE VOCALISED REASONS WHY THEY DIDN;T TRUST US..... They called bloody sleazy greasy wogs, a slur against foreigners of some description used in England.... Do you really think all those supposed issues & fears were justified ? Did the world end like they said it would ? NO SURPISINGLY IT DID NOT>

Now, most people, except Pauline Hanson & her minorities have gotten over it wogs are ok by & large.....

The same bloody thing will happen with muslims / arbs and hhoever else - most people will get over it and eat more kebabs, just like we eat more wog & asian foods thatn we used to. And life will go on..... Some won't, hey will keep their ignorant views, this however, does not make those views correct.

I find it pathetic that supposedly intelligent people can't see that and try to jam their views down my throat with this George W Bush "You're either with us or against us attitude" as if they are fact.

So keep your views, but don't tell me I am wrong / stupid / to balme for not sharing them.

what % of the husband's assets is 1 of 3 wives entitled to in the case of separation/divorce?

Only 1 gets assets (number 1 missus)

Illegal here, to have more than one wife it is,others are having an affair with the husband and live under the same roof (very understanding wife?), if the other women in the husbands life have children, in some cases they can't remember who the father is (no maintenance/child support issues, government/tax payers cough up) many other benefits as well

I recall reading about groups of females all falling into the same cycle if they live in close proximity for extended periods-who would want that many angry women in the house at one time :confused:

Well I wouldn't care if my tenants had multiple wives other than that my properties are 3 bedders and there would be an overcrowding issue especially if they each have children.

Do many migrants even have multiple wives these days? I would think it would be very difficult to afford it unless you were the King of Dubai.

The same bloody thing will happen with muslims / arbs and hhoever else - most people will get over it and eat more kebabs, just like we eat more wog & asian foods thatn we used to. And life will go on..... Some won't, hey will keep their ignorant views, this however, does not make those views correct.

I find it pathetic that supposedly intelligent people can't see that and try to jam their views down my throat with this George W Bush "You're either with us or against us attitude" as if they are fact.

So keep your views, but don't tell me I am wrong / stupid / to balme for not sharing them.

Thanks for the rational response JC. I don't agree with you of course, primarily because your argument is based on assimilation being a given under all circumstances.

In the past, Australian migration numbers and the motivation of migrants has been such that they wanted a new life of opportunity, and were prepared to adapt to achieve it. I recommend you read of the problems European countries are having with a breakdown of assimilation via 2nd and 3rd gen Muslim migrants, especially The Netherlands. There's a threshold to migration rate that when surpassed stresses the dominant culture, socially, morally, and financially. Just ask indigenous Australians whether their culture benefited from migration after 1770.

That is very sound advice....I see people make stupid decisions of not investing in certain areas because of certain ethnic compositions. Unfortunately for them....when some of these groups move in money follows in droves....

I am very surprised by the naivety of some of the more experienced people in this forum....:p

Investing to make a profit is ALL about thinking outside of the square!:D

hi all
interesting question one persons freedom fighter is another person terrorist.
and colour or race does not change the above as there is the same all over the world.

so for me race, genderality, customs, ( as long as they don't want to do halal or african blood letting on the balcony towards the sun) religions, faiths or for that matter age has no place in deciding business.
at the end of the day a business is there to generate income and non of the above stops that.
and the better or quicker people understand that.
they will be able to invest in areas that would not be normally within their radar

Sash, if that's your general truism, tell us about all the rentals you own aimed at meeting the extreme rental need of indigenous australians. Or is that an ethnic composition excluded from your truism?

Hmmmm.....WinstonWolfe.....I would consider the request if I had a vacancy. Though I must admit...I don't have a indigeneous tenant yet...

Also, because I take a arms length view...I am sometimes not advised of their nationality or ethnicity! Really don't care...the only thing I care about is that the rent gets paid in time and the place does not get trashed! By the way I do have a Lebanese Muslim tenant in my flat in Sydney....he is great...been there for 5 years now...don't think he has any intentions of moving...even though his rent will go from 200 to 220pw in the next few months.

Winston.....why do we need to discuss these rather useless discussions?? People are different....Australia is a country of immigrants....our way of life will change as things are introduced...i.e. look at the European influence....

Before....you have a go at me...I am far from the blonde blue eyed Aussie sterotype....

Lets move onto the main game of property..rather than this useless dribbe about cultural superiority. It is so passe....and so not cool! ;)

I came to this site for views that bonded me to people...which is the interest in property not to talk about some side issue on Polygamy! If that was the case....may I suggest you join some right wing blog session on the internet. :D

Sash, if that's your general truism, tell us about all the rentals you own aimed at meeting the extreme rental need of indigenous australians. Or is that an ethnic composition excluded from your truism?

Thanks for the rational response JC. I don't agree with you of course, primarily because your argument is based on assimilation being a given under all circumstances.

In the past, Australian migration numbers and the motivation of migrants has been such that they wanted a new life of opportunity, and were prepared to adapt to achieve it. I recommend you read of the problems European countries are having with a breakdown of assimilation via 2nd and 3rd gen Muslim migrants, especially The Netherlands. There's a threshold to migration rate that when surpassed stresses the dominant culture, socially, morally, and financially. Just ask indigenous Australians whether their culture benefited from migration after 1770.

Culture is ongoing and changing and evolving, it is never stagnant and never was..

Obviously you don't agree with my response / view...that was obvious at the start they we didn;t agree..

But, can you however accept the existence of such a view ?

Lets move onto the main game of property..rather than this useless dribbe about cultural superiority. It is so passe....and so not cool! ;)

Your national broadcaster raised the issue Sash. Do you see them as discriminating on the basis of culture for doing so? THink of all the other stuff they could have discussed rather than polygamy.

Cultural superiority? So according to you there's nothing worth preserving about Australian culture. We should just absorb and adapt to whoever comes here. So why have laws? Why not just make it a free for all. Accept female genital mutilation, underaged sex, sharia law, etc etc....let's casually discard all the values our forefathers embraced to make Australia what it is, and have a free for all. Your attitude is that all cultures are equal or that intelligent folk shouldn't talk about such stuff nor be allowed to stand up for the values that made Australia what it is.......standing up for those values is apparently immoral in your view.

What you fail to understand is that if all values were equal, every culture would be equally successful economically and socially.........I wish it were true.........

Sash, you should read up on why all levels of government, including the national broadcaster have made a policy out of dropping the regular usage of the term 'multicultural'. Never mind....just get on with your property investing and leave the issue to the intellectual elites in the Sydney and Melbourne's latte land, to get on with their social engineering.

Perhaps that's not such bad advice, particularly on a property forum section discussing property managment not cultural issues, to heed Winston.

"Never mind....just get on with your property investing and leave the issue......"

Last edited:
Winston,

Chillout....dont' get so worked up! :D

I just pointed out....this is not the appropriate section to put this stuff! Perhaps the Coffee Lounge is better heading.

I would love to debate social policy, polygamy, and race....but only if you buy me a few drinks! ;)

To me I see no threat...the only thing I see is that money moves from the financially ignorant to the financially educated.....sometimes that money is being moved by social policy....

Time is precious....so I will leave this to people like you! I feel that I am in capable hands......though I am not sure any progress would be made....but plenty of lattes would be drunk! ;)

All the best......if you feel so strongly....might I suggest starting a politically party! :D

Given this....can we make a deal no more posting of this sort of material in any property related headings?:cool:

What you fail to understand is that if all values were equal, every culture would be equally successful economically and socially.........I wish it were true.........

Sash, you should read up on why all levels of government, including the national broadcaster have made a policy out of dropping the regular usage of the term 'multicultural'. Never mind....just get on with your property investing and leave the issue to the intellectual elites in the Sydney and Melbourne's latte land, to get on with their social engineering.

Correct me if I'm wrong here: you are implying that to be successful a culture has to be a mix of gays and lesbians, christians, unmarried couples and alcoholic adulters?

Interesting thought, although i think i don't agree with you here, there are multiple ways to success. After all, those Saudi's you referred to, also are quite successful economically and socially, despite having Sharia laws, no alcohol, women covering their faces etc etc.

Correct me if I'm wrong here: you are implying that to be successful a culture has to be a mix of gays and lesbians, christians, unmarried couples and alcoholic adulters?

How about just a place where people from the rest of the world want to migrate to, even criminals.

Interesting thought, although i think i don't agree with you here, there are multiple ways to success. After all, those Saudi's you referred to, also are quite successful economically and socially, despite having Sharia laws, no alcohol, women covering their faces etc etc.

what insight are you basing Saudis social success on? half their population (women) might disagree with you. have a quick google on women's rights in Saudi.

Hear hear!

Someone once said that the measure of society's success can be seen in the way it treats its women, children and poor. By those measures, most islamic societies would not be considered successful at all.

You raised an interesting point earlier about the Netherlands Winston. My maternal relatives live in Holland, and by all accounts it is an absolute nightmare. Muslim immigration is really impacting negatively on their culture and society and many Dutch are leaving due to the increased violence and hatred towards their culture from immigrants. I for one wouldn't like to see Australia follow the same path and think that immigration needs to be managed better by governments and church/charity groups with equal migration coming from similar cultures to our own as there is from other cultures.

It's actually beyond my comprehension why anyone would want to migrate to a country where the dominant culture and beliefs are so different from your own anyway.

Yes Nat, Dutch PC progressives have witlessly delivered the country a nasty trojan horse.

Nevertheless, it seems everyone is waking up to what a bunch of misguided looneys many progressives are. The Netherlands have subtly introduced barriers to stem the tsunami of economic refugees seeking a share of Dutch welfare.

Immigrants now have to pay to sit a series of exams displaying their knowledge of Dutch culture, political system, and language.

And interestingly, the Dutch also have dropped the term multiculturalism. The government minister for these matters is now called the Minister for Integration. :rolleyes:

Further, they are considering enforcing troublesome youth into the military..... it'd be quite paradoxical, constructive, and just, for the Dutch to second these immigrants back to their troubled origins as peacekeeping forces.

Last edited:
what insight are you basing Saudis social success on? half their population (women) might disagree with you. have a quick google on women's rights in Saudi.

It might be news to you, but if you try to talk to some people about so called "human rights" which they are supposedly entitled to they will laugh in your face.

"Human rights" is something invented by western world, and there is absolutely no reason why it should apply everywhere. The only true human right is the right to live. The rest is just crap imposed by politicians and different human rights organizations, who usually have no idea about the culture of societies on which they are trying to impose their views.

For example covering the face is an old Arab tradition, which goes back to the times when Saudi Arabia was populated by different tribes, and Islam was non-existent. And first of all it's enforced by women, not by men. And if you tell Arab women that it's violation of their rights most of them will just laugh at you or think you are some kind of an idiot ;)

If 1/2 thepopulation , all the women in Saudi would disagree with the current human rights there being good enough... that would mean by your logic, that they agree with you & the types of human rights we have here & would like it for themselves

why would these same people be bad citizens to have here then ? if they want to live like we do ?

please, is it just me who is confused here

Last edited:
Back