Would you rent to.......

kathryn d said:
I have to disagree. I don't think it is our place to say what a tenant can and cannot afford.

Whooah.. You'd sign a lease on a $300pw house with a Single Parent that doesnt work and lives on the pension? A quick check of their stated income and a comparison of that with the property they are renting is a prudent and smart thing to do.. a step NOT to be skipped.

hi Duncan,
I understand what you're saying.I like the suggestion that maybe centrelink should be the ones paying the rent upfront.(forget who said it) I'm just saying maybe she has other forms of income that she may want to keep private, or plans on taking a roommate...whatever. As long as they pay rent, respectful of the property, follow the property rules, and with a clean reference, give people a chance.
One persons lifestyle may differ completely from anothers.

kathryn d said:
hi Duncan,
I understand what you're saying.I like the suggestion that maybe centrelink should be the ones paying the rent upfront.(forget who said it) I'm just saying maybe she has other forms of income that she may want to keep private, or plans on taking a roommate...whatever. As long as they pay rent, respectful of the property, follow the property rules, and with a clean reference, give people a chance.
One persons lifestyle may differ completely from anothers.

Interesting viewpoint and Very noble.. but it's not something I do.. ability to afford always gets factored in.

I rented a $200pw house to a single mum with 3 kids. Payments were all over the place, fell behind in rent every 1.5 months or so (letters, etc) and then ended up doing a runner. God knows how she got into another place, I guess some people just don't do their due diligence.

I'm very fortunate to have an excellent PM looking after the place. She's even filling out my landlord insurance claim for me right now!

kathryn d said:
I have to disagree. I don't think it is our place to say what a tenant can and cannot afford. This is probably because in my younger years I had bank managers saying the same thing to me when it came to getting a mortgage on my house.I wanted the higher payment at reduced years where they wanted me to take the loan for longer at a reduced payment. My lifestyle was and still is frugal.
I look at our own tenants and think to myself,what you are paying me for rent, you could be paying for something that is yours. I don't understand the mentality of renters.

Unfortunately we must make decisions about our properties, in order to ensure we get a good tenant, not a desperate one. We must ensure that if tenants make a bad decision and try to over-commit, we don't allow them to do it in our property - we know it will become a problem for all concerned, and lead to vacancy, re-let costs, uncollectable rent arrears etc etc.
It is important for your IP and cashflow to either understand the renter mentality, or use a PM that does.
Hope you get some good tenants.
cheers
crest133

Single mums
Bachelors
Families
Professional couples
Pet owners

It's not who they are but their rental history, affordability (and I would be concerned if the rent was eating up over 35% of their total income) and the way they treat your asset that counts in the end.
I've had a range of tenants, ranging from professional skateboarders through to single mums, bachelors and young families. No one socio-economic group stands out as better than the others, when it comes to paying rent and keeping the property in good condition. Let's be careful not to pigeonhole people, based on their personal circumstances. As long as they can genuinely afford the rent, have solid references and present well then they deserve a chance.

Jacque said:
Single mums
Bachelors
Families
Professional couples
Pet owners

It's not who they are but their rental history, affordability (and I would be concerned if the rent was eating up over 35% of their total income) and the way they treat your asset that counts in the end.

Agree 100%.

One of my best tenants is a single Mum with 3 youngsters. Been with us since 2000, NEVER been late with rent (currently $230 pw) - moved in after separating from her partner. However, he stumps up a fairly large proportion of the rent weekly, so the cost to her is minimal. THAT is about all I know of her income.

I've never got into all the "whys and wherefores" - she appeared, was recommended by the (then) PM's, and has been a model tenant ever since. I have no idea of her Income (Centrelink, family benefit, whatever...) She pays, looks after the place as if it were her own, and gives me no problems (occasional maintenance issues, normal for a 20 year old house).

I also have a single Dad with kids - also a "no worries" tenant (since 1999). Salt of the earth, most of them....

Long live single Mums and Dads,

Regards,

Back