wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

i've just been out to do a market appraisal on a property. It was terrible. Graffitii everywhere, holes in walls, cupboards and doors missing. it was an absolute nightmare.
I'm now faced with the dilemma of calling the landlord. how blunt should i be? do i tell him that there is no way any tenant (a decent tenant with a job/good hygiene etc) would want to live in his property?

as a landlord, how honest do you prefer your pm's to be?

Be brutally honest. Tell it like it is. Don't pussy foot around. It is not your problem. Give your LL all the information he needs so he can make an informed decision.

My friend had a property like that except the tenants had smashed a window and were coming back in. They were even urinating against the wall onto the bedroom carpet. She was about to move into the property with her husband and kids while they built a house and they actually took the news fairly well. I agree with Prop.

i've just been out to do a market appraisal on a property. It was terrible. Graffitii everywhere, holes in walls, cupboards and doors missing. it was an absolute nightmare.
I'm now faced with the dilemma of calling the landlord. how blunt should i be? do i tell him that there is no way any tenant (a decent tenant with a job/good hygiene etc) would want to live in his property?

I thought you are suuposed to know more than the landlord on how to manage such issues ? :confused:

You're right, i should know more than the landlord, its my job to. I can organise quotes, and tell him what he would benefit from, but as i haven't gotten the management yet, i dont want to steamroll him with 'what he has to spend/do'.

i agree with everyones comments, honesty is the best policy. I just got off the phone with him and i think he was surprised by my brutal honesty.
I hope it will get me the management.

tell nathan to do the reno now!

IF your brutal honesty doesn't get you the management then you don't want it. I am always very upfront with both my current landlords and potential landlords about the condition of their property. If someone doesn't want to know or doesn't want to fix it, I don't want to manage it as it is nothing more than a liability & likely that someone will take me to court over the condition of the property. I have found that my clients always appreciate my honesty and landlords who have refused to fix things in the past are very quick to fix it when I advise them it is dangerous and so I won't rent it in it's current condition. I feel I need to mention that I am not rude about it though, just honest!!

Best of luck!

You're right, i should know more than the landlord, its my job to. I can organise quotes, and tell him what he would benefit from, but as i haven't gotten the management yet, i dont want to steamroll him with 'what he has to spend/do'.

i agree with everyones comments, honesty is the best policy. I just got off the phone with him and i think he was surprised by my brutal honesty.
I hope it will get me the management.

Sorry, I didn't realise this was a for an appraisal for a new customer.

Wouldn't the first thing you'd say be "Did you realise thee place has been damaged/vandalised ?"

Not quite sure what other choice there is beside honesty - what else you going to do, tell him it's fine ? Where does the word "brutal" fit into anything ?

Is that a vandalised housing commision property?
I imagine the landlord will fix it before he rents it out?
So you tell him x$ when you fix it up?

When my PM comes to me with a problem, ideally they should also come with some solutions.

Details of what need to be fixed to make the property liveable, through to options of a complete fix. Detailed quotes and a few options.

If you try hide the truth, it'll come back and bite you and you'll bear some responsibility instead of just having to deliver bad news.

You are obviously new to this industry. Be honest and upfront. If the potential client has a problem with that, you don't want their business. Always tell it like it is and the decent Landlords will appreciate your candour.

Yes, agree honesty is the best policy.

Assuming I was the renting agent-

I'd say do this (minimum) and you'll get this rent. Do that (more work) and you'll get this rent.
Then they can decide how much work and money they wish to invest in the property. There is also the difference it will make to the value of the property (I'd mention that too but the LL would need evaluate that).

I'm moving to QLD to work then.....

Firstly I should apologise to Rachel but it DID look like just part of the job. A little more tact was needed though. Peace?

I don't work in the industry Sez but I always thought they were. Why do you say they are not?

In Canberra where the average income is around the $60,000 pa mark, my husband got offered a job a few years ago as a property manager on a grand total of $30,000 pa. No way hose! That's crap!

Yes, the pay is crap. Check-out operators at Coles get paid more. The owner of the agency makes a nice profit though, ofcourse.

As for what to say, as everyone else has said, be honest. I'd use words that include, 'wouldn't', 'let', 'dog', 'live', 'in', and 'it'.

Yes, the property management DIVISION gets paid well; a large rent roll might give 10-20% to PMs and the rest to.....

It's really nothing.

Back