x rays ownership

Does the medical imaging company own the X-rays when I am examined?

Interesting question. I would think that if the imaging company hands them to you then they are yours. You would then provide them to the doctor - you would remain the owner.

However if the imaging company provided them directly to the doctor they may belong to the Dr.

Today my wife received a letter asking her to pick up her xrays from our GP or they would be destroyed. There is no use for them so we will just let them be destroyed.

It is like a photograph. However takes the photograph is the owner, not the person whose picture is taken. Whoever the photographer give them to (transfers title) is the new owner.

Why do you ask?

Interesting question. I would think that if the imaging company hands them to you then they are yours. You would then provide them to the doctor - you would remain the owner.

However if the imaging company provided them directly to the doctor they may belong to the Dr.

Today my wife received a letter asking her to pick up her xrays from our GP or they would be destroyed. There is no use for them so we will just let them be destroyed.

It is like a photograph. However takes the photograph is the owner, not the person whose picture is taken. Whoever the photographer give them to (transfers title) is the new owner.

Why do you ask?

Photographers still give you your photos to keep as your property even if the image is theirs and laws cover what others can and can't do with them.

The same could apply for an xray but I can't see how this would be an issue for anyone... unless of course an xray was all of a sudden considered a work of art and sold for millions.

Last edited:
The last time I had x-rays done, they gave me the images. They didn't forward them to the medical practitioner who ordered them. This doesn't mean that they don't own them or keep a copy however, you'd have to ask them.

I am really curious though. Why are you asking?

Photographers still give you your photos to keep as your property even if the image is theirs and laws cover what others can and can't do with them.

The same could apply for an xray but I can't see how this would be an issue for anyone... unless of course an xray was all of a sudden considered a work of art and sold for millions.

Don't confuse the photo with the copyright. Someone can still own the copyright but give you a photo. Its like a DVD - you own the risk, but not the movie.

Is Pinkboy viewing the issue through rose coloured glasses.

Should the same question be asked of ownership of whole body security image scans at the airport?

At my xrays last week they don't even give out films anymore. They store digitally and then email a copy and report to my GP.

Off for a MRI tomorrow - more fun!

I think the radiological company own them but under my rights as a patient I am allowed a copy if I request.

it's not one of those freaky x-rays that's gone viral over social media due to weird object in some weird location and now you'd like to profit from it?

Keep old X-rays . You never know when something might show up on a future X-ray and you need something old to compare the new ones with .

Cliff

Back