Xbox or Playstation 3?

Hi

AS its Xmas time and i am debating whether to get an xbox or paystation 3. I have a boy and girl in grade 5 and 6. My son has an old playstation 2. I never really used it much.

My initial thoughts were the xbox but I now read that the playstation 3 has a blu-ray player and you can access the Network as its a free (you'll need broadband Internet access) interactive environment where you can play games online, chat to friends and family, and surf the Web. Some of PlayStation Network's features include

I am not sure if you can do this with the xbox for free.

Any thoughts on what i should choos?

If they play multiplayer, then the PS3 may be cheaper as it doesn't have a subscription fee for online play. You'd have to get the annual membership costs, individual unit costs, then compare costs over the expected life of the machine.

As ok180 said though, their choice would be primarily based on the games they want to play. The game libraries for both machines are quite different.

Youngest son (nearly 16 but quite young for his age) just bought an Xbox 360 for $180 (brand new) from a lady who got it free with a laptop. I was about to buy him one from Big W for $230.

At ages roughly 10 and 11 (?) do you really want your kids to be able to play on-line with others and do the other stuff that this can do?

I know from my older sons (nearly 23 and 20) that the older one didn't utilise any on-line interactive playing and the middle boy didn't get into this until he was about 17 or 18.

For $230 you can get a machine that will do all they probably want to do at this age, and by the time they want to get involved in multi-player stuff, everything will probably have changed again.

Just my thoughts.

P.S. The jump up to the next level of machine was about $380 at EG Games and that came with four games (which my son didn't want).

If they are that age you might as well get the Big W package (I think a pre Christmas special?) where it comes with a kinect and 4 games for $350.00.

I don't get XBox live anymore anyway, still have network access for game patches etc but you don't know what your kids are going to get out of playing multiplayer on line with 15y.o. etc when they are 5 and 8... The last thing you need is people swearing and carrying on with your 5 y.o.

It can be the cutest cuddliest game in the world but this does not mean the people playing it are...

Year 5 or 6 so they are 10 years old.

No online gaming in my book, there really are some weirdos out there who frequent the games that children play online.

I would ask them and there friends what games they like the best. If you know the parents of their best friends ask them what they are getting or have got. Most kids swap/lend each other games and talk about hints/clues/cheats etc so it is OK to have the same game but it is a very good idea to have the same console as their friends have IMO.

I would ask them especilly if there is a ps2 in the house not being used.

The PS3 has the advantage of being a blu ray player as well but with the price of blu ray players now it isnt too muh of an advantage.

Wii is also another option, nintendo has alot more kids style games and multi player games that they can have fun with plus its a heap cheaper than the other 2. It also has things like wii fit tc if you are concerned about these things.

Another option is maybe nintendo DS, alot more portable so they can play it in the car, on the bus etc which can keep them busy if you are dragging them around alot.

My 13 year old said his mates give X-Box the thumbs-up

PS3 he believed was slow online and the blu-ray advantage is no more as per above with the price of blu-ray players nowadays

Wii is great for certain games but COD MW 3 apparently wasn't too good on the Wii according to him. EB Games give a credit if returned within 5 days so he was wrapt.

He's spending more time on the laptop with games such as COD, Assassins Creed and playing with Ubuntu, Linux, Windows 8 etc

He's earning pocket money of late delivering pamphlets and other work

Xbox all the way. You can get the kinect (which is better than the playstation move or nintendo wii).

It will make for a fun xmas day :)

Cheers

Jamie

Xbox 360

XBOX 360....XBOX 360.... all the way

I have the 14 yr old son, the PS2, the Wii & the XBOX 360.....

With the Kinect, the XBOX 360 is a great console & can do some fairly amazing things.

Last year I agonized over the same question & the XBOX 360 won out.... & still does IMHO.

Having been a gamer for around 30 Years, I have all three current game systems (and then some including an original Atari 2600 :) ). For most families I would probably suggest an Xbox 360 due to having a greater range and variety of games. I'd also say the Xbox controllers tend to be a little more "Heavy Duty) than the PS3...

I have the PS3 and XBOX wirelessly connected to the Modem/router and can stream TV and movies to any device in the house. Both Devices can be set up with parental controls to restrict content played and accessed.

Tyrael

Could you tell me how you wirelessly connect PS3 to the Modem/router and stream TV and movies to any device in the house?

I have browsed things with PS3 ONLINE and only able to connect PS3 with cable to TV and HDMI.

T

Having been a gamer for around 30 Years, I have all three current game systems (and then some including an original Atari 2600 :) ). For most families I would probably suggest an Xbox 360 due to having a greater range and variety of games. I'd also say the Xbox controllers tend to be a little more "Heavy Duty) than the PS3...

I have the PS3 and XBOX wirelessly connected to the Modem/router and can stream TV and movies to any device in the house. Both Devices can be set up with parental controls to restrict content played and accessed.

Enough said - the 30 year gamer has spoken!

Come to think of it - I remember playing Atari at 5 so that must make me a 25 year gamer :eek:

Cheers

Jamie

Tyrael

Could you tell me how you wirelessly connect PS3 to the Modem/router and stream TV and movies to any device in the house?

I have browsed things with PS3 ONLINE and only able to connect PS3 with cable to TV and HDMI.

T

Easy, most ADSL Modems these days are wireless and have multiple LAN ports. Possibly the cheapest way would be to buy a Western Digital MyBook Live External HDD or similar with an Ethernet connection and use this to store your digital media. If you want to spend a little more money (not too much) you can buy a dedicated NAS - Network Attached Storage, and connect this to your modem/router.

Both the Xbox and PS3 can connect to a media server (which is basically the above) through the settings menus. I have personally found the Xbox to be better for this purpose.

I have transferred (or /cough - downloaded), most of my DVD/BLUray movies and TV shows and music to digital media which is stored on my NAS and can watch or listen to them anywhere in the house on a variety of Devices be it directly to my TV via it's wireless connection or via the xbox or even on my Android phone. If I really wanted to I can even access the NAS remotely from say a friends house with a good net connection and view the media on their system :D

Enough said - the 30 year gamer has spoken!

Come to think of it - I remember playing Atari at 5 so that must make me a 25 year gamer :eek:

Cheers

Jamie

LOL It's damn weird how quickly the time goes. A couple of my best mates had Commodore 64's, Spectrums etc, and some of us still have all the original gear including the tapes drives used to load programs. :D

Seems I can barely move somedays with the amount of tech I have in the house :p

Thanks Tyrael.

By now, you would have sensed that I am not tech savvy.
One question, is the tv has to be a SMART TV?

T

Nope pretty much any TV will do as long as it has either the Yellow, Red & white Connections or ideally HDMI is preferable as that way you only need to worry about the one cable :)

Hi

AS its Xmas time and i am debating whether to get an xbox or paystation 3. I have a boy and girl in grade 5 and 6. My son has an old playstation 2. I never really used it much.

My initial thoughts were the xbox but I now read that the playstation 3 has a blu-ray player and you can access the Network as its a free (you'll need broadband Internet access) interactive environment where you can play games online, chat to friends and family, and surf the Web. Some of PlayStation Network's features include

I am not sure if you can do this with the xbox for free.

Any thoughts on what i should choos?

PS3 has far better games imo. I don't even think FFXIII2 is coming out on XBox.

But PC is the way to go - I hear D3 is lurking around Q1 2012

Easy, most ADSL Modems these days are wireless and have multiple LAN ports. Possibly the cheapest way would be to buy a Western Digital MyBook Live External HDD or similar with an Ethernet connection and use this to store your digital media. If you want to spend a little more money (not too much) you can buy a dedicated NAS - Network Attached Storage, and connect this to your modem/router.

Both the Xbox and PS3 can connect to a media server (which is basically the above) through the settings menus. I have personally found the Xbox to be better for this purpose.

I have transferred (or /cough - downloaded), most of my DVD/BLUray movies and TV shows and music to digital media which is stored on my NAS and can watch or listen to them anywhere in the house on a variety of Devices be it directly to my TV via it's wireless connection or via the xbox or even on my Android phone. If I really wanted to I can even access the NAS remotely from say a friends house with a good net connection and view the media on their system :D

For best connections, would recommend a 7800N router - very powerful wireless. Also the broadcom chipset is pretty stable so even if a few laptops, PS3, ipad all log in, it's okay. And you can change your antennas to 8db if your house is triple brick like mine, but I still get away with the 7800N on short antennas.

Back