Votes: 46 56.8%
  • A framed photo of myself.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi,

This is my first Christmas as a landlord and I was just wondering if you give your tenants presents and what those presents are if you do.

Cheers Pablo.

Send them a timely reminder to pay the rent on time. 'I bought to many christmas pressies' is not a legit excuse for the rent to be late.
Alex

Hi,

This is my first Christmas as a landlord and I was just wondering if you give your tenants presents and what those presents are if you do.

Cheers Pablo.

Hi Pablo,

I know some here do. My wife and I used to send 'welcome to your new place' cards, always flowers when a valuer went around to do a reval etc., sent X-mas cards, reduced their rent for a period during repairs from either leaking bathrooms / storm damage .....but in reality we found they:
1. still moved on at the same pace as other renters
2. the longer term ones still demanded stuff - like new garden sheds, clothes lines being replaced etc - which we were happy to do to keep everything up to standard
3. Fixed things that they probably broke (but we could not prove it)

And we never got a card back let alone a thankyou - so No - we won't be giving gifts. We will be subsidising (along with the ATO) their living expenses and probably won't be able to increase the rent to keep pace with interest rate rises. Most of our tenants have Foxtel too - not us (don't want it anyway). So I don't feel obliged....on the other hand if they feel like getting us a gift for being such a great landlord then maybe I'd feel inclined.

Aimy

Yeah I've given them a gift basket each, and a bigger one for my PM. Definitely wouldn't be giving them a weeks free rent though!

I don't expect to receive anything back :(

Hi,

I usually send my long-term tenants a Xmas card with a gift voucher enclosed, such as movie tickets or a dinner voucher. I time it so there has just been a routine inspection at the start of December so I can write a thankyou note in the card. That way it's like a reward for looking after the place all year and (hopefully) encourages them to keep doing the right thing!

Ebbie.

I have 4 lots of tenants and give each of them a Christmas card each year and a birthday card at the appropriate time. They love it!
Just before Christmas, I give them a $50 gift voucher and tell then they are my Tenant of the Year. The don't know each other, so they don't know tat they ALL get the annual award. They Love that, too. Makes them feel real proud of themselves and encourages them to keep caring for the property.
I like to look after them, as they funding my retirement and wealth creation. Likewise, I provide well maintained, secure housing for them. It's win-win.
The best deals are the one's where both parties walk away happy.
I get full market rent and in 7 years, have never had a late payment or any damage done to a property. I've also got great long term tenants. Why would they want to move?
I budget for 50 weeks rent per year. Given they all stay the full 52 weeks, I'm in front by at least 2 weeks, so why not give a little back and share the Love?
That's my theory on dinosaurs.

Rob

I've thought about doing this but never done it.
Might start this year with a card and $20 bunning voucher.... hopefully they'll spend it on a can of paint or new toilet roll holder. (just/kidding)

merry christmas to the forumites too

I have 4 lots of tenants and give each of them a Christmas card each year and a birthday card at the appropriate time. They love it!
Just before Christmas, I give them a $50 gift voucher and tell then they are my Tenant of the Year. The don't know each other, so they don't know tat they ALL get the annual award. They Love that, too. Makes them feel real proud of themselves and encourages them to keep caring for the property.
I like to look after them, as they funding my retirement and wealth creation. Likewise, I provide well maintained, secure housing for them. It's win-win.
The best deals are the one's where both parties walk away happy.
I get full market rent and in 7 years, have never had a late payment or any damage done to a property. I've also got great long term tenants. Why would they want to move?
I budget for 50 weeks rent per year. Given they all stay the full 52 weeks, I'm in front by at least 2 weeks, so why not give a little back and share the Love?
That's my theory on dinosaurs.

Rob

You are a good man may you live long and prosper

I am all for giving the tenants a warm, fuzzy feeling! I think the whole idea is really sweet, special even..I am about to get my first tenant next Jan. I will definitely go the extra mile to keep him/her happy. Memories of being a renter myself are never far away..
Good one! It feels good to be nice.
Respectfully,
Skye.

pi2012, what are you expecting to get in return for this? Or are you just being nice?
Alex

Just being nice :D
Actually, couple of years back when i was renting, i received a Dinner Voucher from the Landlord...it really felt great.
I guess its just a nice gesture to show your appreciation and to build a long-term relationship...
At the end of the day, i would like to have decent tennants who keeps the property in a good shape, pays rent on Time and tends to stay for years..Thats what i think

On the other hand, having the same tenants for a long time often mean your rent is lower than market. Each to his/her own, of course.
Alex

I was just wondering if you give your tenants presents and what those presents are if you do.

Cos you're just wondering ;

1. I give my residential tenants a roof over their heads - without fail - every night.
2. I give my comm. tenants a nice corporate HQ every day without fail.
3. I give my industrial tenants plenty of elbow room to shuffle trucks around.

That's what they want....and why they stay with me.

I'm not interested in being their friend, and they aren't interested in being mine.

If I gave my hairy-arsed truck drivers a hamper or movie tickets, they'd probably assume I was trying to crack onto them.....and that'd cause more trouble than it's worth.

On the other hand, having the same tenants for a long time often mean your rent is lower than market. Each to his/her own, of course.
Alex

Hmmm...thats true Alex.
I guess having good Tenants for a longer period has its pros and cons :)
Will see the rental market next year and see if the current Tanants are happy to stay.

Just being nice :D
Actually, couple of years back when i was renting, i received a Dinner Voucher from the Landlord...it really felt great.
I guess its just a nice gesture to show your appreciation and to build a long-term relationship...
At the end of the day, i would like to have decent tennants who keeps the property in a good shape, pays rent on Time and tends to stay for years..Thats what i think

Yes! It's all about relationships. Long term one's at that.
I believe that what you give out comes back more so. Not that that is the point, at all.
It's not just about the money, it's about "The Love".

Back