• None, I'm a scrooge.

Votes: 46 56.8%
  • A framed photo of myself.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yes! It's all about relationships. Long term one's at that.
I believe that what you give out comes back more so. Not that that is the point, at all.
It's not just about the money, it's about "The Love".

Yup agree, it's not always about money...
if you can afford to cut people some slack it's always a good feeling
and the right thing to do

Cards, gifts, etc are all about building a good relationship. If tenants feel looked after, they are more likely to look after your property well. I say more likey - there are always a few rotten apples.

For me, the best way to build a good relationship is to look after the tenants concerns promptly and politely. The house is kept in good repair. Minor comfort items are istalled on request without a great "wailing and gnashing of teeth". Over the top requests are refused politely if a mutually acceptable outcome cannot be reached. Rent increases are firm but fair.

For all the stories about bad tenants on this forum, I've heard a few shockers about bad landlords too. I think tenants will appreciate landlords doing their job well far more than any Xmas card.

Absolutely Dis! A gift or card at Christmas doesn't make up for being a crappy landlord the rest of the year. If anything, they'll probably resent you even more as they'd see it as a programmed, automatic gesture.

Although getting back to the poll, I love the option of a framed picture of yourself!!

Can just picture it now, close up photo of me with a big cheesy grin giving two thumbs up! :D and signature "to my wonderful little plebs, keep plugging away at that rent!"

PS Picture attached is a different Steve. :p

Attachments

• 244steveo.jpg
    244steveo.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 60
I have noticed that it is mainly the new landlords that are giving their tenants gifts. I don't. I treat my IP's as a business. I keep them well maintained & I expect tenants to keep to their part of the deal. That is to pay their rent, & to pay it on time.

I have been in this game for too long. Many a tenant falls into arrears at Christmas time as the landlord is the last on their list to get paid. Mind you their kids get all the latest crap! No sir-ee, no gift, no card, but one of mine will be getting an eviction.:eek: Before anyone tells me I am a heartless so & so, the eviction is their own fault. If you don't pay your rent, you can't expect to stay. Simple! It doesn't matter what time of year it is either.

When you think about it, do you really want your tenant thinking you're a nice guy? Maybe they'll start thinking 'so and so and I are mates, he's a nice bloke, so he would understand if I overspent on the xmas things and am a few weeks late on the rent'.

It's business. I fulfill my contractual obligations, and they fulfill theirs. This is not a lovefest.
Alex

It's business. I fulfill my contractual obligations, and they fulfill theirs. This is not a lovefest.
Alex

Exactly! Many of the dodgy tenants have their radars well tuned to a Landlord that is a soft touch. If you keep everything businesslike, then you are less likely to have tenants either hitting you up for costly improvements, or falling behind in their rent.:D

It's business. I fulfill my contractual obligations, and they fulfill theirs.

i'm with you guys - i like to think i'm a good landlord in that i get every reasonable request very promptly fixed/installed/organised ... but beyond that, it is a business arrangemnt.

my pm gets the chocolates - not the tenants she has to chase for rent.

Skater and Alex, I don't think there is a problem keeping thing's business like while still giving out a Xmas gift (I don't do B'day etc as others have mentioned).

I have never seen or talked to my tenants, and never plan to. My PM deals with them exclusively, and I only talk to her. I am also not easy on my tenants ie. one was taken to tribunal 2 months back for payment orders, otherwise she was going to be evicted.

I also give my staff a Xmas gift - just because it's business, doesn't mean you can't make nice gestures. Didn't stop me from threatening to fire one if she didn't pull her finger out a month back. Being business like and friendly aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

I have noticed that it is mainly the new landlords that are giving their tenants gifts. I don't. I treat my IP's as a business.

But some bosses give their staff a token at Chrissy too. In the interests of greasing the wheels.

I give my workmates a little something, (I am not the boss). A gesture at Christmas and Easter. Between times I keep a lolly jar stocked in a communal area. Community service.

Does making contact via a Christmas card personalise the otherwise nameless/faceless landlord and elicit a little cooperation? Preventing tenants from categorising the landlord similarly to 'state rail' or 'The Government', big bureaucracy. ?

Exactly! Many of the dodgy tenants have their radars well tuned to a Landlord that is a soft touch. If you keep everything businesslike, then you are less likely to have tenants either hitting you up for costly improvements, or falling behind in their rent.:D

lol, that's just happened to me and the tenant didn't know what type of landlord I was. She moved in 2 weeks ago. The first day she was there moving in my PM called me up to say the tenant has requested a security door on front, and some sort of 'shade structure' out the back. Amazing how they don't mention this before they agree to take the property!

I already informed my PM prior to finding a tenant I was going to be putting up a pergola at some point next year, so that wasn't a problem, and a security door is $220 installed, so didn't bother me either. But, I now think that this tenant will believe I'm a push over, so I think the next request will have to be denied regardless of what it is! :D

lol, that's just happened to me and the tenant didn't know what type of landlord I was. She moved in 2 weeks ago. The first day she was there moving in my PM called me up to say the tenant has requested a security door on front, and some sort of 'shade structure' out the back. Amazing how they don't mention this before they agree to take the property!

In all my years of renting.. I have never once thought to ask for things to be installed.
You see the property you like it as it is, you apply for it. Like you said, funny how these things are never mentioned before signing the lease.

But some bosses give their staff a token at Chrissy too. In the interests of greasing the wheels.

Yes, that is different. You & your boss have a relationship (businesslike, I'm not suggesting anything else). If I was to give gifts or cards, then it would be to my PMs as I have a relationship with them. I don't have a relationship with my tenants as I use a PM.

I look at it this way. I employ a PM to deal with the day to day trials & tribulations of dealing with the tenants. That is their job & if they do a good job, then I may/may not give them the cards or gifts.

A tenant on the other hand has a rental contract. Do other rental businesses give cards or gifts to their leasee's. If I lease a car from XYZ, do I get a gift or card from them? If I hire my whitegoods from another company do they give out cards & gifts? Why is leasing a house any different.

:D

When you get a tenant that wants everything & wants it now & you are on a low income, you learn very quickly that you don't have to pander to their every whim.

We had one tenant who moved into an IP of ours. We hadn't had it very long. It was our first & we were on a very low income. Each & every week there was a request for something. She drove us crazy & were very much relieved when she left.

The tenant in the same IP today, started out the same, however each time she asked for something she has been met with the same reply (unless maintenance, of course). No! The house is let AS IS. If you would like (you name it) then we can install it at your cost, or increase the rent to cover it's cost. This tenant is long term now & tries it every so often. BUT at first it was every couple of weeks.

I gave one of my tenants a $10 rent increase for Christmas (effective 1/1/09), although it is probably still a little under market.

I leave them alone - most don't want to be reminded that the house they are living in belongs to someone else.:eek:

Cheers
Mike

Back