• None, I'm a scrooge.

Votes: 46 56.8%
  • A framed photo of myself.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I gave one of my tenants a $10 rent increase for Christmas (effective 1/1/09), although it is probably still a little under market.

LOL, you made me laugh. One of mine got a $20 increase, another is getting an eviction if the tribunal comes to the party tomorrow.

Skater,
We have issued an eviction notice as well for Dec 16. I doubt she will move voluntarily. We contacted the power and cable company and informed them she is being evicted. Dec 20 I will have transferred the power back to my name with orders of having it disconnected.
All she had to do was pay her rent.

When you get a tenant that wants everything & wants it now & you are on a low income, you learn very quickly that you don't have to pander to their every whim.

We had one tenant who moved into an IP of ours. We hadn't had it very long. It was our first & we were on a very low income. Each & every week there was a request for something. She drove us crazy & were very much relieved when she left.

The tenant in the same IP today, started out the same, however each time she asked for something she has been met with the same reply (unless maintenance, of course). No! The house is let AS IS. If you would like (you name it) then we can install it at your cost, or increase the rent to cover it's cost. This tenant is long term now & tries it every so often. BUT at first it was every couple of weeks.

Couldn't agree more. Just today I had to tell my property manager that I had already spent a lot of money refurbishing the property in question, and I wasn't spending a cent more on the place. The new tenant keeps ringing up with requests for this, that and the other. No, No, and even more no's. Eventually the tenant will either get the message or move on. If she moves on, so much the better. There are more fish in the ocean!

Presents are given to my property managers for putting up with all of the rubbish my tenants dish out all year, and only passing on vital information. (eg genuine maintenance or repairs). A good property manager will deal with over zealous tenants, and not cater to their every whim. A less experienced one, or one that has been recently appointed by the senior property manager to help ease their work load (ala the one handling the property mentioned above) will ring you about anything and everything - all of the time! Very annoying! A call to the senior property manager should fix this problem. I shall call tomorrow!

Regards Jason.

Regards Jason.

Not sure about this one - do we or dont we.
This is our first Ip & we just notified the PM of a February $10 rent rise (after they advised a $5 increase instead of $10 to maintain mkt value because they are good tenants).
We have been thinking about sending the tenants a movie voucher but then have the dilemna of do we inlude the 3? kids or just the enough for the parents - ends up a $50 voucher pretty quickly.

PM wont be getting anything - they haven't got much right since the beginning and they make us look like deadbeat landlords by contacting us asap for maintenance (which is good) but then not making repairs in under a week (which is bad) & then I have to check on them to make sure the repairs have been done! Apart from collecting the rent I feel I have managed this propertymore than they have!

No sorry - nothing for the PM & they are lucky to still be getting my 8.8% !

Cheers
Stella

Last edited:
I think with some tenants it would have the opposite effect to what is desired. They'd see it as a sign that they are paying too much rent (the 'ripoff owner who has too much money' type thinking).

We have an incentive program for one of our tenants. She is notoriously late paying the rent so I have given her a weeks free rent if she pays it on time each Friday. Works well. But normally, just a card.

Cheers,

Bazza

We have an incentive program for one of our tenants. She is notoriously late paying the rent so I have given her a weeks free rent if she pays it on time each Friday. Works well.

Hey ?? You give her a week's free rent every Friday ?? :confused:

Just spoke to PM - one of ours is getting a rent rise too. 6% increase effective Christmas Eve, so that's their present to us. :)

Thank God for this Forum

I had actually gone out and bought gifts (box of chocs) for the PMs and tenants. But now after having read all your posts, have had a change of heart and will not go ahead with gifts for the tenants.

It sure pays to keep in touch with SS and learn from the pros !

Thanks everyone.

Hi,

I was leaning towards movie vouchers but when I raised this with the boss she shut me down quick smart. They will only be getting cards, she definitely sides with the scrooges.

another is getting an eviction if the tribunal comes to the party tomorrow.
Damn tribunal. First they get the date wrong, then they give the tenants until the 28th because they've got children. I bet they can still afford to give their kids plenty of crap for Christmas though AND I'M THE ONE PAYING FOR IT!:mad:

Damn tribunal. First they get the date wrong, then they give the tenants until the 28th because they've got children. I bet they can still afford to give their kids plenty of crap for Christmas though AND I'M THE ONE PAYING FOR IT!:mad:

Know how you feel skater.
We appealed the tribunals decision when they ruled against a claim we made for the damages by the tenant who burned down our IP.We lost that appeal and today we received the costs that were awarded to them ($1200) for his travel expenses.The trial was one day, but he stayed 14..and made it a vacation here...at our expense.

Back