you just won...

Thought about this too... but winning $50M doesn't mean you can't do something meaningful with it no? You can make your own challenge of growing that $1M and leave the rest untouched

Wouldn't be the same. You would always know you have it there. Guess I just haven't got the lotto mentality. :D

Wouldn't be the same. You would always know you have it there. Guess I just haven't got the lotto mentality. :D

Lotto mentality = win first talk later :D

On a serious note, I do think it's scary to win that much. I wonder how many friends I can keep when I have 50M. And how many 'family' will start asking for money :eek:

If I won I wouldn't tell anyone. Well, maybe my husband but that's it.

I'd invest the lot in a diversified low risk portfolio. I'd help family when needed but with little things consistently. Also donate to charities with the income off my $50m.

I think I'd still work but only part time and volunteer at charities for the rest of my week. I'd travel too, but I'd buy a camper trailer and capable 4wd then go bush.

Tell my family and friends I had won 5 million.

Retire, and become a sad, bitter old man on a forum, being condescending towards everyone that didn't do exactly the same thing as me, and carrying on like a sad sack whenever someone posted a bit of frivolity.

Retire, and become a sad, bitter old man on a forum, being condescending towards everyone that didn't do exactly the same thing as me, and carrying on like a sad sack whenever someone posted a bit of frivolity.

So business as usual? :D

:D

You forgot "twisted".

But; you're not quite on the money; I'm not retired and not old...just older than most here.

But, if I had $50 mill; I'd pay off all debts and finish off the house/garden.

Buy a decent car....

Pay my 2 mechanics a six figure wage each to run the workshop how they liked. Hell; I reckon I'd simply give them the business to own half and half each.

Give the family some money each, but most important; pay all my niece's hospital bills for her newborn baby - she has a severe cleft pallet and will need lots and lots of work.

Invest the rest into more businesses for some income, and more jobs for folks, and buy a few Comm IP's just for fun.

Whack a load into the ING account and use the interest for living off each week.

Join The National Golf Club,

Buy a 40 foot cabin cruiser and have it moored down at Martha Cove,

Spend the rest of the time playing golf, fishing and water skiing with the kids, entertaining friends (I do actually have some).

Do some volunteer work around the town for free, for the various things than they need help with.

Travel.

If I had that much money I think there would be better places to live than Ballarat. With apologies to any forumites who live there.
I suspect that Ballarat is where you live when you have a job in the CBD, but want to own a cheap house within commute distance?

I suspect that Ballarat is where you live when you have a job in the CBD, but want to own a cheap house within commute distance?

I work in Gosford on the Central Coast. Nice enough area, but if I had that coin I'd be going old Victorian Mansion in Newcastle and a funky apartment in the city.

Commuter belt doesn't appeal to me.

Re your other post - you're not condescending. Just always sure you are right :D I also agree on volunteer work. I'd like to do a lot more with the Smith Family. Already have two mentors (one high school, one uni) but would like the time to be able to do more to work with kids from bad backgrounds and break the cycle of welfare.

Is Ballarat just like Frankston but without the beach? ;-)
From a commute aspect; probably.

But, Frankston has a lot more going for it than Ballarat - in my opinion.

Pity about the greater volume of the residents in Frangers (and no doubt Ballarat) that ruin it, but I suspect that anywhere there is cheap housing; there will be loads of those "car wreck in front yard" type Aussies.

God I wish we could breed that whole class out of our Country....

Give me a hardworking, higher educated and highly motivated immigrant, any day.

Last edited:
Just always sure you are right :D
Yeah, I was incorrect back in 1981, however.

I simply offer opinions on stuff based on my own observations and experiences.

The thing I reckon I gripe you lot with from a stubborn aspect is the CC and GW stuff.

Let's revisit all that in 15 years and we'll see.

It was pool weather on Sat, and today it's pizzing down and cold; so I guess you could call that CC.

I remember an Xmas day exactly like today in 1984 or 85...rain blasted down all day, and had the heater on...hard to drink a beer on a day like that..

Last edited:
-Bank it for 12 months with the 4 major banks - 25% in each.
-Give some money to family.
-Take a 12 month first class world trip, fly family/friends over to meet me in various destinations.
-While I'm on holidays seek meetings with the best financial planners in NY, London & HK for their advice.
-Come back home and think about how I'm going to invest. I would imagine half would be invested conservatively and half would be in medium risk investments that I have an interest in, ie developments, start-ups, etc.

Try hard to keep quiet about it. It would change everything about how people related to you.

Like someone else said we would tell them we won $5mil and help out close family and friends.

One thing that stuns me at times is the amount of people I know who seriously say that they want to do this and that when they win lotto as if it a real chance it will happen to them one day as they have been playing for years and their numbers just have to come up one day.

In the meantime they are living pay to pay waiting for that win.

Go figure...

Back